A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

40 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

I heard a Celtic fan refer to the Celtic end at Parkhead recently.

From a certain demographic that would be correct.

I even heard it called the Railway End.

7 hours ago, PossilYM said:

I even heard it called the Railway End.

There was a railway line ran behind what is now the Jock Stein Stand, crossed London Road and ran down to Dalmarnock where there are still remains.

It was still there until at least the early-mid 80s.

Screenshot_20240520_201941_Adblock Browser.jpg

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

There was a railway line ran behind what is now the Jock Stein Stand, crossed London Road and ran down to Dalmarnock where there are still remains.

It was still there until at least the early-mid 80s.

Screenshot_20240520_201941_Adblock Browser.jpg

Do you have a year for that photograph please, @Arch Stanton? It looks around the late 'fifties, when the roof was placed over the back of the north end then floodlights installed.

Just now, Dundee Hibernian said:

Do you have a year for that photograph please, @Arch Stanton? It looks around the late 'fifties, when the roof was placed over the back of the north end then floodlights installed.

No, sorry.  I just did a Google search for "ariel shot of old Celtic Park:".

5 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Floodlights put up in 1959.

Photo is from the early 1960s.

In terms of Scottish football clubs Celtic were fairly late to the floodlights party. Probably had to wait for the biscuit tin to be full before they bought a set

On 20/05/2024 at 10:39, Eednud said:

In Hong Kong on 20 May 2002 Scotland and South Africa met for the first time. South Africa preparing for their WC games in South Korea the following month won 2-0. Have no idea who any of the Scottish players are.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/worldcup2002/hi/team_pages/south_africa/newsid_1996000/1996842.stm

IMG_2065.jpeg

Think number 7 is Allan Johnston. To his right (our left) is Scot Gemmill.

No idea about the others!

7 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Gareth Williams is number 15.

Not sure who number 14 is.

Stuttgart.

Referee: Dienst (Switzerland).

Spectators: 76.000

West Germany: Tilkowski, Gerdau, Juskowiak, Stollenwerk, Wewers, Szymaniak, H. Rahn, W. Schröder, Kelbassa, A. Schmidt, Siedl.

Scotland: Younger, Caldow, Hewie, McColl, Evans, Docherty, Scott, Collins, Mudie, Baird, Ring.

Goals: 0:1 Collins (21.), 0:2 Mudie (34.), 0:3 Collins (56.), 1:3 Siedl (70.).

IMG_2070.jpeg

IMG_2069.jpeg

IMG_2068.jpeg

IMG_2067.jpeg

IMG_2066.jpeg

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

David Weir? (far right)

Edited by Glen Scotia
Edit

On 19/05/2024 at 22:35, paul wright scores said:

That was the first international match my dad took me to - it was for my 8th birthday, which was close to that date.  

Coincidentally the last international match we went to together was Scotland v Cyprus March 2023 (54 years later) in the 1st qualifying game for this year's Euros in Germany.  Sadly, he is no longer fit to go to Hampden and stand for the full game. 

I can still remember the booing when Gemmell took the penalty from the West Terracing. 

If standing for the whole game is not suitable for your Dad you should try the South upper, escalators to get up and down and people do sit down for the whole game.

From the Dee Archive 24 May 1923 Real Madrid 0 Dundee 2

Scenes of great enthusiasm were witnessed at Madrid yesterday afternoon when Dundee, continuing their Spanish tour, defeated the Real Madrid Football Club by two goals to nil.

King Alfonso and Queen Victoria were present at the match, and, according to a Madrid message, Ross, who is skippering the Dundee team on their tour, and the captain of the Madrid Club were presented to the King and Queen after the game.

The many thousands of spectators who watched the Dundee League eleven defeat their club demonstrated the interest taken in our winter sport in Spain. The football played by both sides was of the highest order, but the ability of the Dens Parkers to snap their chances before goal proved the undoing of the Madrid Club, who, playing well in the outfield, were disinclined to accept their opportunities at the correct moment.

The scenes of excitement amongst the on lookers rivalled those at any stirring Scot tish Cup tie. The spectators were delighted at the precise and clever methods of the Dundee men, who were accorded a welcome which indicated the real sporting nature of Spanish football followers.

Match report written by The Courier

image.jpeg.347bcc271df895429f0b253fdb95f17f.jpeg

On 16/05/2024 at 17:58, GNU_Linux said:

image.png.3183429fddc64f8c00b73c6a914e9d12.png

They were the first (quite possibly only) twins to play a Champions league final. Good question to stump your mates with.

11 hours ago, Eednud said:

From the Dee Archive 24 May 1923 Real Madrid 0 Dundee 2

Scenes of great enthusiasm were witnessed at Madrid yesterday afternoon when Dundee, continuing their Spanish tour, defeated the Real Madrid Football Club by two goals to nil.

King Alfonso and Queen Victoria were present at the match, and, according to a Madrid message, Ross, who is skippering the Dundee team on their tour, and the captain of the Madrid Club were presented to the King and Queen after the game.

The many thousands of spectators who watched the Dundee League eleven defeat their club demonstrated the interest taken in our winter sport in Spain. The football played by both sides was of the highest order, but the ability of the Dens Parkers to snap their chances before goal proved the undoing of the Madrid Club, who, playing well in the outfield, were disinclined to accept their opportunities at the correct moment.

The scenes of excitement amongst the on lookers rivalled those at any stirring Scot tish Cup tie. The spectators were delighted at the precise and clever methods of the Dundee men, who were accorded a welcome which indicated the real sporting nature of Spanish football followers.

Match report written by The Courier

image.jpeg.347bcc271df895429f0b253fdb95f17f.jpeg

I was at the Estadio Santiago Bernabeu on Monday past. I knew the Dee had beaten Real Madrid in the 20s but had no idea it was so close to the anniversary