A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 24/08/2024 at 21:07, Arch Stanton said:

A day late but hey ho.

2nd Division Saints thrash ECWC holders Rangers 4-1. Ally McLeod gets all 4 making him only the 2nd away player to do so against Rangers at Ibrox in a competitive game (Alan Gilzean being the 1st).

Is that the Ally Hibs signed. ?

10 hours ago, tamthebam said:

victoriapark1.jpg.e8f29daf712a41f1db390ef52e060cc7.jpg

Newtongrange Star's old stand. This is now a housing estate.

victoriapark3.jpg.c65812ddd756a19b01c1c78ab4287cf3.jpg

Are these before and after photos ?… housing estate below

On 25/08/2024 at 07:05, Eednud said:

25 August 1982 Dumbarton 2 Dundee 3 (Att: 433) in a Scottish League Cup Group game. Neither team qualified with Dundee 3rd on 6pts and Dumbarton bottom with 0pts. On the same date in 1984 it’s Dumbarton 2 (Joe Coyle 2) Dundee 1 (Ray Stephen) Att: 2,000 in the Premier League. Report from then Dee Archive but programme front pages are exact same as the Dumbarton Archive. The League Cup group standings are an example of abbreviated team names used in the Sporting Post and other DC Thomson papers. 

IMG_2193.jpeg

IMG_2194.jpeg

IMG_2195.jpeg

Also remember playing Dundee in the league cup in 1973. Sons wining the first leg at Boghead by 3-0 and thinking it was all over only to lose 4-0 at Dens

3 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

Also remember playing Dundee in the league cup in 1973. Sons wining the first leg at Boghead by 3-0 and thinking it was all over only to lose 4-0 at Dens

Still the joint record comeback in any first class cup-tie here: sat alongside Dumbarton 4-1 Hamilton / Hamilton 6-0 Dumbarton (LC R2 1977-78) and Raith 3-0 Montrose / Montrose 5-1 Raith (LC R2 1978-79)*.

*there were also 2 occasions a 3 goal deficit was levelled forcing a replay: Aberdeen 4-1 Hibs / Hibs 4-1 Aberdeen / replay Hibs 1-1 Aberdeen aet / 2nd replay Hibs 5-1 Aberdeen (LC QF 1949-50); then Morton 3-0 Motherwell / Motherwell 3-0 Morton / replay Motherwell 1-0 Morton (LC QF 1969-70). Note in both instances the side who crashed on opening leg ultimately prevailed. Plus in B Division Cup R1 1945-46 we find Dundee Utd 1-4 Raith / Raith 0-3 Dundee Utd / replay Dundee Utd 3-3 Raith tied 4-4 on corners and Raith won on coin toss :lol:.

Edited by HibeeJibee

15 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Still the joint record comeback in any first class cup-tie here: sat alongside Dumbarton 4-1 Hamilton / Hamilton 6-0 Dumbarton (LC R2 1977-78)

Jeez, I'll never forget that second-leg.  Celtic were playing at Motherwell that Saturday and the train from Glasgow Central was packed with Hoops fans.  I got blethering with a few of them and the consensus was that we were all but through.

Accies thought otherwise and utterly horsed us.  Still somewhat shell-shocked I got on a train at Hamilton West only to find, yes you've guessed it, the very same guys from earlier sitting there.  Added to which they never knew our score 🫣.

Arboath born John Dora played for Parma in 1925/26 and is pictured in the Parma shirt. Apparently Bologna and Inter wanted to sign him but he returned to Scotland eventually signing for Arbroath then Falkirk. Found this Courier article from 2017 about him. 

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/angus-mearns/565536/the-curious-case-of-john-dora-the-italian-football-hero-who-became-an-arbroath-racing-pigeon-champion/

IMG_2199.jpeg

Just now, Eednud said:

Eventually found it. That’s an interesting document.

Search for Dora and you can follow the entries discussing him being suggested, then scouted, bid for and signed.

I am part of the team that has been digitising the club minutes from 1918 or so onwards and it has been amazing. Been doing it for about two years now and we are up to about 1970. I think they only go up to about 1978 or something.

7 hours ago, Eednud said:

Arboath born John Dora played for Parma in 1925/26 and is pictured in the Parma shirt. Apparently Bologna and Inter wanted to sign him but he returned to Scotland eventually signing for Arbroath then Falkirk. Found this Courier article from 2017 about him. 

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/angus-mearns/565536/the-curious-case-of-john-dora-the-italian-football-hero-who-became-an-arbroath-racing-pigeon-champion/

IMG_2199.jpeg

I wonder if he ever visited Galashiels...

johncollins.jpg.18ddf83bf63f8595dd102a937daa9c2e.jpg

On 16/08/2024 at 13:50, Eednud said:

Dundee team that lost 1-3 at Motherwell on 16 August 1919. 

https://www.deearchive.co.uk/matchdetails.php?id=940

IMG_2178.jpeg

When I saw this pic with the gap on the bench I couldn't help but be reminded of this photo that was posted at the time when Falkirk "poached" Ray McKinnon from Morten. History sadly shows that Morten got the better of that deal.

40446505_1881233871967831_4448309065965109248_o.jpg