What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

6 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Noticed this on Monday... shades of "Darren Mackie: Reading Champion"?

It seems completely unrelated to the subject - and just thrown in there as if reading a book, like starting a fashion line, is very unusual and left-field :lol:!

It's like saying, "I work with a person who likes sushi, so I'm going to start a record label." 

I'd like to think there's a whole paragraph that's been left out of that story.  Either that or Partick Thistle players will take any excuse to to start their own clothing line based in Ashton lane.

Edited by Savage Henry

15 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

It seems unrelated to the subject - and just thrown in there as if reading a book, like starting a fashion line, is very unusual and left-field :lol:!

That's magnificent.

Clearly, there must be as many fashion brands out there, as there are people who read the odd book.

Not really tinpot, but every year one British media outlet (usually BBC Sport) seems to think that Hibernians of Malta is Hibs, so they always put "Hibs face Red Star Belgrade in Champions League Qualifier" or whoever in the headline.

Quite amusing imo

I remember the BBC reporting that Hibs had lost 7-0 at home to Malmo in Europe when it was the mob from Malta.

Right?

18 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That's magnificent.

Clearly, there must be as many fashion brands out there, as there are people who read the odd book.

In fairness, perhaps Cerny reads books on How to Start your Own Fashion Brand after Suffering an Injury at Work?

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 22:55, ancientnoise said:

FFS. I mean, who needs two cheap VOIP phones in an office? Trying to look more in demand than they are, tinpot club through and through IMO. 

voip_phones_ayr.jpg.d588c3acd7b4d4bff404c593dc20db50.jpg

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 23:01, IainMorton said:

Phones? Where?

Took me a while to catch on about the phones, tbh...

Quite amusing tin-pottery from the announcer at Livi today, as they announced the player being substituted off's sponsor over the public address. That's quite tin pot in itself tbh, but when the player replacing him is announced along with "sponsorship still available" it takes it to another level...

Dundee playing crowd noise over the tannoy in the Dundee V Falkirk game in the Scottish Cup to drown out the Falkirk away support. We got pumped eventually but in 30 years of watching football I have never before or since heard a club playing crowd chants over a tannoy. 

I've seen us be accused of this a few times. Are you sure it wasn't just this song?

It was a 'medley' we regularly played during that era. I suppose it can be considered a minter, but it was never something we purposely played to inject a bit of life or drown opposition fans out.

If you want to talk Dundee minters though, Dundee were blasting out the Champions League theme when we came out against Perugia at Dens in the UEFA Cup.

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42952725

"Partick Thistle's Abdul Osman fashions brand to reflect his injury woe

Partick Thistle captain Abdul Osman found his first major injury absence so tough he launched a fashion range with the slogan "It's not easy".

The 30-year-old midfielder recently returned after an operation on a shoulder injury picked up in August.

"When you are out a long time, you always try to find other things to do," said the Ghanaian.

"Our keeper, Tomas Cerny, reads books and I thought, 'I like my fashion, so why not try something new?'"

It seems unrelated to the subject - and just thrown in there as if reading a book, like starting a fashion line, is very unusual and left-field :lol:!

I get what you mean and when I first looked at the article the other day I scratched my head but I *think* it's meant to read more along the lines of (possibly been cut down in editing?):

"When you are out a long time, you always try to find other things to do off the pitch"

"Our keeper, Tomas Cerny, talks a lot about how passionate he is about reading outside of football, and how it helps him keep busy when he's not fit to play, so I thought  to myself "well, I'm really passionate about my fashion, so why not try to do something in that field?"

... which tbf still leaves the mention of reading as pretty superfluous but maybe makes a little bit more sense?

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

17 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I've seen us be accused of this a few times. Are you sure it wasn't just this song?

It was a 'medley' we regularly played during that era. I suppose it can be considered a minter, but it was never something we purposely played to inject a bit of life or drown opposition fans out.

If you want to talk Dundee minters though, Dundee were blasting out the Champions League theme when we came out against Perugia at Dens in the UEFA Cup.

I always thought Beto Carranza was Dundee's best player

I always thought Beto Carranza was Dundee's best player

He was amazing on his day. Very injury prone and not Giorgi Nemsadze went against him though.

Actually - there's a tinpot thing. Nemsadze, one of the most talented midfielders to grace Scottish football. Before we signed him, he'd previously had a failed trial at Hibs. In which they played him at CH ffs.

3 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

I get what you mean and when I first looked at the article the other day I scratched my head but I *think* it's meant to read more along the lines of (possibly been cut down in editing?):

"When you are out a long time, you always try to find other things to do off the pitch"

"Our keeper, Tomas Cerny, talks a lot about how passionate he is about reading outside of football, and how it helps him keep busy when he's not fit to play, so I thought  to myself "well, I'm really passionate about my fashion, so why not try to do something in that field?"

... which tbf still leaves the mention of reading as pretty superfluous but maybe makes a little bit more sense?

Possibly... but I'm sticking with the "reading a book is strange, unusual and slightly deviant, too - so starting my own fashion line isn't really as odd as you think" theory :lol:!

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

A team having another teams club shop at their own stadium is probably unusual. Can't believe the St Mirren fans were ok with it. 

CI0nDbKWsAAwKlL.jpg

This wins the thread in my opinion. Absolutely shameful this happened. Wee team rubbish.