What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

I’ve seen the Celtic club shop sign go up at our place, I’ve seen the Sevco erect photos of Liz Windsor and Charlie Chuckles in their dressing rooms. Hell, I’ve seen Willie Collum in action. However, come the season’s end, the final league table will be, by some distance, the most tinpot thing I’ve ever seen in my long lifetime supporting a (decent, it must be said) Scottish team. The points differential between the ‘Old Firm’ and the rest. It’s simply at a point now where we should frankly all play our reserves against them, take the ten-nil drubbings and move on without injury or red/yellow cards to first teamers.

The most tinpot thing in our game is our game itself.

On 05/05/2023 at 13:47, Squonk said:

"The world's most successful football club." Even if you ignore the tiny matter of liquidation, it takes some brass neck to claim that winning domestic titles in a two horse race makes you more successful than Real Madrid, 14 times European Cup/Champions League winners.

I look forward to the mental gymnastics that will be on display when Celtic overtake them.

5 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

I look forward to the mental gymnastics that will be on display when Celtic overtake them.

“The team formerly known as the world’s most successful football club”

If it’s good enough for Prince then it’s good enough for us.

21 minutes ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Agreed, the non-OF teams really need to step up their game. It's embarrassing. 

Someone could maybe step up to the point where the gap between 2nd and 3rd isn’t 30 odd points or more.

4 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Are the Japanese lads good or is the Scottish League just pish?
Probably there latter. 

Given that Japan only took one of the Celtic lot to the World Cup I’d say you were right. And the Japanese coach obviously agrees because he justified his decision specifically by criticising the standard of the league in which they were playing. 

Edited by Junior_Arab

3 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Are the Japanese lads good or is the Scottish League just pish?
Probably there latter. 

I think Furuhashi is a decent player however his goals record in Japan across the top 2 divisions was a goal every 2.8 games, in Scotland it’s a goal every 1.4 games. His goals to game ratio is certainly benefitting from playing in a league that’s of a lower standard than the J League and that’s why evidently why he rarely gets a look in at international level.

2 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I think Furuhashi is a decent player however his goals record in Japan across the top 2 divisions was a goal every 2.8 games, in Scotland it’s a goal every 1.4 games. His goals to game ratio is certainly benefitting from playing in a league that’s of a lower standard than the J League and that’s why evidently why he rarely gets a look in at international level.

I doubt the league standard is the reason for the improvement. He’s just incorporating Into his game the football knowledge and will to win that only Celtic can provide.

10 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

I doubt the league standard is the reason for the improvement. He’s just incorporating Into his game the football knowledge and will to win that only Celtic can provide.

I read my post back and it didn’t read as I intended. I meant he’s benefitting fro playing in a league that’s a 1 horse race and he plays striker for a team who has an almost total monopoly domestically for the last 7 years. I 100% maintain though that the standard of opposition to Celtic has a massive positive bearing on his goals to game ratio.

1 hour ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Theres the 3/4 title and the delayed cup win against a demoted Hearts side...

26 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Maeda was joint top scorer in the J-League before joining Celtic, so that theory is dead.

3 minutes ago, stressball said:

Maeda was joint top scorer in the J-League before joining Celtic, so that theory is dead.

I’m pretty sure Maeda played as an out and out striker in Japan whereas at Celtic he doesn’t ? It’s only my opinion/theory on Furuhashi doubling his goals to game ratio. I’d be interested to see what his goals to game ratio will be if he’s ever fortunate enough to move to a better/more competitive league.

As I said at the start of my post I think the lads a decent player.