Toot Toot - is that the Relegation Express a-coming?

19 minutes ago, thistledo said:

Wouldn't like to see County go down, on the other hand Coyle is an absolute bell end. How many of you right now are wishing McIntyre was still in charge? Quite liked him, seemed like an alright guy, knew how to avoid relegation. 

Be surprised if any County fan was wishing that he was still in charge.   McIntyre should have been sacked long before he actually was.   He was living off the cup win, our league form under him was nothing short of horrific.  Just a pity we seem to have replaced him with an absolute dud. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, tintax said:

Be surprised if any County fan was wishing that he was still in charge.   McIntyre should have been sacked long before he actually was.   He was living off the cup win, our league form under him was nothing short of horrific.  Just a pity we seem to have replaced him with an absolute dud. 

this

On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 19:04, YassinMoutaouakil said:

County going down and St Mirren replacing them would be great. Further proof that the WoS bois run this league. 

Liked by two Killie fans, one Partick fan, one Well fan.  Kens the score.

The WoS is back bitches, f**k your feelings 8) 

5 hours ago, thistledo said:

Wouldn't like to see County go down, on the other hand Coyle is an absolute bell end. How many of you right now are wishing McIntyre was still in charge? Quite liked him, seemed like an alright guy, knew how to avoid relegation. 

Coyle was clearly a bad appointment but no, McIntyre had to go. It was clear he was clueless, especially when it comes to bringing in new players. I'm sure if you scroll back to August/September in the County thread you'll find lots of stats about how brutal our long-term form was under him and how the cup win really was a really pleasant surprise but one that ultimately propped him up longer than he warranted.

As for who replaces him, sentimentally I would like to see Ketts get the post until the end of the season. We're probably going down anyway but it gives him a chance to at least have a go and see if he's worth making the long-term choice while also giving the board plenty time to make sure they make an appointment better than Caley bringing back John Robertson after going down last year.

I doubt it was too exciting bobbing around the bottom 6 but McIntyre never had you rock bottom. You finished 6th then 7th in his last 2 full seasons so I don’t see how that squares with the theory that his league form was horrific.And he won a national cup.

As an outsider I find it mind boggling that he didn’t have more credit in the bank at Ross County to try and ride out the poor start to this season.

To replace Jim with Coyle, who is a dinosaur diddy, was a huge mistake by Uncle Roy. I wonder if OC managed to show his team video analysis of the correct opponents this week?

16 hours ago, bpdon said:

I doubt it was too exciting bobbing around the bottom 6 but McIntyre never had you rock bottom. You finished 6th then 7th in his last 2 full seasons so I don’t see how that squares with the theory that his league form was horrific.And he won a national cup.

As an outsider I find it mind boggling that he didn’t have more credit in the bank at Ross County to try and ride out the poor start to this season.

To replace Jim with Coyle, who is a dinosaur diddy, was a huge mistake by Uncle Roy. I wonder if OC managed to show his team video analysis of the correct opponents this week?

Look at our record last season. We were fucking dire. He blew through his credit already. People gave him chances but we were brutal, his signings were dire, and he was rotten when it came to giving players like Keillor Dunn a regular run in the team.

The cup win is a huge blindspot for non-Staggies. 

I'm on my phone so can't face trawling through the County thread but I do remember reading this at the time McIntyre and Dodds got punted. Seemed to be the only thing in the media that made an effort to see why almost everyone was happy to see him gone. https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/ross-county/why-jim-mcintyre-s-sacking-from-ross-county-wasn-t-much-of-a-surprise-1-4569378

17 hours ago, forkboy said:

Coyle was clearly a bad appointment but no, McIntyre had to go. It was clear he was clueless, especially when it comes to bringing in new players. I'm sure if you scroll back to August/September in the County thread you'll find lots of stats about how brutal our long-term form was under him and how the cup win really was a really pleasant surprise but one that ultimately propped him up longer than he warranted.

As for who replaces him, sentimentally I would like to see Ketts get the post until the end of the season. We're probably going down anyway but it gives him a chance to at least have a go and see if he's worth making the long-term choice while also giving the board plenty time to make sure they make an appointment better than Caley bringing back John Robertson after going down last year.

I thought some of Jim's signings were pretty decent tbh, Davies, Fox, Gardyne, Fraser etc... Granted I don't watch them every week. I'm not saying he was that great, but I think I'd have rather had him over Coyle though. 

1 hour ago, thistledo said:

I thought some of Jim's signings were pretty decent tbh, Davies, Fox, Gardyne, Fraser etc... Granted I don't watch them every week. I'm not saying he was that great, but I think I'd have rather had him over Coyle though. 

Giving him credit for Gardyne is a stretch. He came back to the club under Adams on loan for the season, McIntyre just decided to keep him when his contract at Dundee United ran out. But sure, go for it.

Other than that, going off Wikipedia, here's a list of his signings: Lewis Toshney, Martin Woods, Terry Dunfield, Jamie Reckord, Craig Curran, Cameron Burgess, Marcus Fraser, Darvydas Sernas, Ruben Palazuelos, Rafa Di Vita, Abdoulaye Meite, Ian McShane, Michael Gardyne, Scott Fox, Brian Graham, Darren Holden, Jonathan Franks, Richard Foster, Andrew Davies, Chris Robertson, Stewart Murdoch, Jackson Irvine, Daniel Bachmann, Martin Woods again, Gary Woods, Alex Schalk, James Severn, Paul Quinn, David Goodwillie, Chris Konopka, Erik Cikos, Aaron McCarey, Christopher Routis, Kenny van der Weg, Jay McEveley, Tim Chow, Ryan Dow, Chris Burke, Jason Naismith, Jim O'Brien, Oscar Gobern, Milan Lalkovic, Sean Kelly, Jamie Lindsay, Thommas Mikkelsen, Jim O'Brien, Billy Mckay, Ross Draper.

Looking at the signings, the ones that have had a clear positive impact, Curran, Davies, bringing Irvine & Gardyne in full-time, Fraser, & Jason Naismith. They aren't the only ones to have done a decent job obviously, but there's a whole host who are just baffling signings. Up there with how consistently dreadful our setpieces were under McIntyre as just the most inexplicable part of is reign.

Is 48 signings over 3 years a lot of signings? I'll be honest and say I have no idea what the average Premiership clubs player turn over has been in that period but looking at it from here it does seem like a throwing a lot of shit at the wall and very little of it sticking. There's some real weird moments like loaning out Scott Boyd to Kilmarnock even when he was still clearly more than capable of playing at this level, and then in January releasing him, allowing Kilmarnock to bring another player on loan. Richard Foster was another one the club (or the manager) fell out with despite having played pretty much every game the previous season.

Jim had an eye for tactical detail but was a dud strategically.  I don't think we'd be in a much better position than now if he was still here, I'm certain that it would still be within the bottom two.  It was the right time to let him go because the wheels were falling off.

Coyle is a tactical dud and, whether or not his big-ticket signings save him this season, time will probably tell that he is a strategic dud as well.

Giving him credit for Gardyne is a stretch. He came back to the club under Adams on loan for the season, McIntyre just decided to keep him when his contract at Dundee United ran out. But sure, go for it.
Other than that, going off Wikipedia, here's a list of his signings: Lewis Toshney, Martin Woods, Terry Dunfield, Jamie Reckord, Craig Curran, Cameron Burgess, Marcus Fraser, Darvydas Sernas, Ruben Palazuelos, Rafa Di Vita, Abdoulaye Meite, Ian McShane, Michael Gardyne, Scott Fox, Brian Graham, Darren Holden, Jonathan Franks, Richard Foster, Andrew Davies, Chris Robertson, Stewart Murdoch, Jackson Irvine, Daniel Bachmann, Martin Woods again, Gary Woods, Alex Schalk, James Severn, Paul Quinn, David Goodwillie, Chris Konopka, Erik Cikos, Aaron McCarey, Christopher Routis, Kenny van der Weg, Jay McEveley, Tim Chow, Ryan Dow, Chris Burke, Jason Naismith, Jim O'Brien, Oscar Gobern, Milan Lalkovic, Sean Kelly, Jamie Lindsay, Thommas Mikkelsen, Jim O'Brien, Billy Mckay, Ross Draper.
Looking at the signings, the ones that have had a clear positive impact, Curran, Davies, bringing Irvine & Gardyne in full-time, Fraser, & Jason Naismith. They aren't the only ones to have done a decent job obviously, but there's a whole host who are just baffling signings. Up there with how consistently dreadful our setpieces were under McIntyre as just the most inexplicable part of is reign.
Is 48 signings over 3 years a lot of signings? I'll be honest and say I have no idea what the average Premiership clubs player turn over has been in that period but looking at it from here it does seem like a throwing a lot of shit at the wall and very little of it sticking. There's some real weird moments like loaning out Scott Boyd to Kilmarnock even when he was still clearly more than capable of playing at this level, and then in January releasing him, allowing Kilmarnock to bring another player on loan. Richard Foster was another one the club (or the manager) fell out with despite having played pretty much every game the previous season.

Did Chris Konopka ever actually feature in a match?

On 1/29/2018 at 13:41, killienick said:

We had a ticket for that train a couple of months ago. A couple of months is a long time in football land.

The County fans thought they had upgraded our ticket to First Class when they landed Coyle and we stuck with Lee.

Image result for steve clarke

With the benefit of hindsight, it's clear that relegation (if it happens, but let's just assume that it's a foregone conclusion because, well, look how things are going) is the culmination of successive seasons of short-term thinking.  Ever since promotion, County's strategy has essentially been:

>recruit players in the summer with no obvious sense of direction

>rip things up in January to salvage things with short-term signings

>repeat

Now it has proved relatively successful on paper: 5th, 7th, 9th, 6th, 7th, plus a League Cup. But in the long-term the quality of football has declined and there's been an increasing reliance on the January window.  Adams had to go because he had run his course, but appointing McIntyre was never a move I welcomed (credit where credit is due for the cup success, however, and he made some good signings), and Coyle hasn't paid off (even if he keeps County up, he won't be here by the end of next season).  In general, the recruitment of players and managers hasn't been good enough. There's been a lot of successful signings but look at the absolute dross that have stank the place out - for every Andrew Davies there's a Jordi Balk, Tim Dreesen, and Brian McLean.

With the benefit of hindsight, it's clear that relegation (if it happens, but let's just assume that it's a foregone conclusion because, well, look how things are going) is the culmination of successive seasons of short-term thinking.  Ever since promotion, County's strategy has essentially been:

>recruit players in the summer with no obvious sense of direction

>rip things up in January to salvage things with short-term signings

>repeat

Now it has proved relatively successful on paper: 5th, 7th, 9th, 6th, 7th, plus a League Cup. But in the long-term the quality of football has declined and there's been an increasing reliance on the January window.  Adams had to go because he had run his course, but appointing McIntyre was never a move I welcomed (credit where credit is due for the cup success, however, and he made some good signings), and Coyle hasn't paid off (even if he keeps County up, he won't be here by the end of next season).  In general, the recruitment of players and managers hasn't been good enough. There's been a lot of successful signings but look at the absolute dross that have stank the place out - for every Andrew Davies there's a Jordi Balk, Tim Dreesen, and Brian McLean.

Don’t forget Jim Fenlon.

25 minutes ago, professor challenger said:

For what it's worth Martin Woods has been very impressive in his admittedly short time at Firhill

Are you guys using him as a box to box midfielder in a very stretched midfield 2 and having him take every single set piece possible?

Or are you using him properly?

Guess what Jim did.

It's quite amusing seeing outsiders glancing in and concluding that Jim McIntyre was doing a good job, whereas those that actually took a close interest in how he managed the team they support, tend to view it differently.

All pretty familiar.

It's quite amusing seeing outsiders glancing in and concluding that Jim McIntyre was doing a good job, whereas those that actually took a close interest in how he managed the team they support, tend to view it differently.

All pretty familiar.

Never really did it for me, I was really worried that we might appoint him as manager. We’ve obviously landed on our feet (so far) but I bet there was plenty of people out there who viewed us taking SC as a worse choice than Jimmy Mac. Don’t think with hindsight anyone would admit it but I bet they exist.

18 hours ago, forkboy said:

Didn't realise Gardyne was on loan under Adams first, still, Jim was right to keep him though. 

We have Martin Woods now, I think he's a decent player, it could be we had an awful centre mid for most of the season and he just looks much better. Fraser, Fox, Graham, Foster, Davies, Irvine, Schalk, Van Der Weg, McEveley, Naismith, O'Brien and Lindsay are all decent players in my opinion. 

That's a high turnover of players in three years though. I'm not sure Archie has signed that many in the entire time he's been at Thistle. 

10 hours ago, dingdong1929 said:

Are you guys using him as a box to box midfielder in a very stretched midfield 2 and having him take every single set piece possible?

Or are you using him properly?

Guess what Jim did.

Nah definitely not like that. I didn't expect much from him after speaking with a County supporting friend, but I've been pleasantly surprised. His fitness is his main issue right now, if he can sort that out he could be a very useful player for us. 

35 minutes ago, thistledo said:

Didn't realise Gardyne was on loan under Adams first, still, Jim was right to keep him though. 

We have Martin Woods now, I think he's a decent player, it could be we had an awful centre mid for most of the season and he just looks much better. Fraser, Fox, Graham, Foster, Davies, Irvine, Schalk, Van Der Weg, McEveley, Naismith, O'Brien and Lindsay are all decent players in my opinion. 

That's a high turnover of players in three years though. I'm not sure Archie has signed that many in the entire time he's been at Thistle. 

Nah definitely not like that. I didn't expect much from him after speaking with a County supporting friend, but I've been pleasantly surprised. His fitness is his main issue right now, if he can sort that out he could be a very useful player for us. 

Fixed.

Archived