The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

I totally see both sides. Unlike you, I was previously years ago pro-Pittodrie. I moved to England, went to a lot of fitba there, shite grounds like Goodison, St Andrews, and really good ones like the Reebok & Man City.  Then when coming back for the one or two games a year once kids were old enough to go, couldn't believe how pish Pittodrie is. 
The clincher for me is just how close in every aspect the Bolton move, new ground, road network and location is to Kingsford, and how for them the same arguments were loud and long by the walk to the ground mob, you don't hear very many complaining now, and those that do are still of that long lost demographic. 
I see both sides, I simply don't agree at all with staying at Pittodrie now. 

The Reebok is right next to a train station which means it’s not comparable to Kingsford at all.

4 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

There really is no point in arguing with people who refuse to see both sides.

Look at the St Mirren support on Saturday, or Motherwell, Celtic, Hibs, even R*ngers etc. The demographic above gets the singing going and creates a good atmosphere. AFC make no effort to accommodate this, home or away. That’s why our support is stale as f*ck.

The training facilities look nice but if you look at things rationally, having to get a packed shuttle bus at least an hour before kick off to a stadium 7 miles from the city to spend pre-match in a freezing “fanzone” before sitting in a shallow as f*ck identikit Bristol City-lite stand is going to be even worse than Pittodrie.

And this comes from someone who was previously pro-Kingsford.

I already travel 3 hours to get to Aberdeen and I am not keen at all to spend another 40 to 50 minutes on a packed shuttle bus to get to the game. Part of going to football for me is social aspect of having a pint with mates before and after the game. That will disappear when folk have to head to stadium at least an hour before kick off and are having to wait for then get a shuttle bus back into town. 

I already travel 3 hours to get to Aberdeen and I am not keen at all to spend another 40 to 50 minutes on a packed shuttle bus to get to the game. Part of going to football for me is social aspect of having a pint with mates before and after the game. That will disappear when folk have to head to stadium at least an hour before kick off and are having to wait for then get a shuttle bus back into town. 

Similar situation for me. No midweek or Sunday games for anyone travelling by train anymore as you’ll now miss the first train there/last one back.

Upper Dick a million miles from the pitch, Merkland beside the Angus the Bull club or the South Stand beside the away fans?
These are good points you make but they just highlight why we have to move.

I’m not against us moving to a good location, just not one as remote as Kingsford.

14 minutes ago, fatshaft said:

I totally see both sides. Unlike you, I was previously years ago pro-Pittodrie. I moved to England, went to a lot of fitba there, shite grounds like Goodison, St Andrews, and really good ones like the Reebok & Man City.  Then when coming back for the one or two games a year once kids were old enough to go, couldn't believe how pish Pittodrie is. 

The clincher for me is just how close in every aspect the Bolton move, new ground, road network and location is to Kingsford, and how for them the same arguments were loud and long by the walk to the ground mob, you don't hear very many complaining now, and those that do are still of that long lost demographic. 

I see both sides, I simply don't agree at all with staying at Pittodrie now. 

Bolton and Man City both have excellent public transport links. Something that Kingsford dose not is never likely to have.

21 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Similar situation for me. No midweek or Sunday games for anyone travelling by train anymore as you’ll now miss the first train there/last one back.

Well drive on those occasions ffs

4 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I like this quote;

The Dons want to replace Pittodrie with a 20,000-seat ground and training academy on the other side of the city at Kingsford, Westhill.

The 'other side of the city' actually being a place miles outside of the city.

That article needs to decide if the stadium is in Aberdeen or Aberdeenshire.

I hear you but, where's that?
Please god don't let us go back through the options though.......

If there was an ideal location then we wouldn’t be having this discussion. I don’t have the answer but I know it’s not Kingsford!

I won’t rehash the same arguments that have been played out 100 times on this thread but somewhere within 2 miles of the city centre or within 1 mile of a train station would be a start. It would be easier if the board didn’t insist on the bizarre 25 hectare criteria which cancels out any semi-suitable site in the city.

If it was up to me, I would’ve submitted planning permission for a training ground at Kingsford in 2016 and assessed our stadium options from there. Pittodrie will not collapse into the ground in the next ten/fifteen years and a new, better site could suddenly be made available, as was apparently the case with Kingsford.

I'm very disappointed today, as I feel taking the ground out of the town centre will help contribute even further to its perpetual decline. The council have missed a huge trick but very unsurprising given that their entire strategy to town management has been build out of town, build shopping centres and gut the main thoroughfare.

Anyway, that is by the by. We need to make the best of a crap location. The transport plan is an utter dogs dinner so it is important to build the stadium to accommodate this. An outdoor fanzone anywhere after the middle of September really is not a good enough answer. The club need to create facilities that will encourage fans to spend far more time at the ground than they currently do. To that end, the club should be looking to do three things.

Firstly, to extend the size of the pub currently proposed, so that it accommodates far more fans. Secondly, for families, there needs to be indoor space dedicated to family friendly events such as signing sessions with injured players, fun games, face painting etc, and more space set aside for kids to receive training sessions, likely in the training ground. Finally for those fans who do not fit these demographics, create retail space and restaurants for those who may prefer to dine and shop, what people would say is a sterile experience.

Within the stadium, the fans need to be provided with plentiful catering facilities and toilets that don't take 20 minutes to negotiate every time. The stands need to be steep so that we feel closer to the action. A small standing section is not enough to get it right, we need to have standing, be steep and close to the park. A corporate bowl will put people off.

As such, it is important for the club to change its long term stance of being fairly ignorant of fans wishes. Messers Yule and Skinner being front of this project has been important up to now. It will be even more important, as these two are the two that understand supporters wishes. Ignore the fans and we will end up with a cattle shed designed for corporate fans only.

Only with good facilities and plentiful facilities that have been thought through will we get this right. If that involves spending a bit more money, so be it. We only have one shot to get out home for the next century right. f**k it up and it will lose fans galore. Get it right and we may well get over the fucking awful location.

It is up to the fans to be demanding and the board to be receptive to the fans wishes.

24 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

I'm very disappointed today, as I feel taking the ground out of the town centre will help contribute even further to its perpetual decline. The council have missed a huge trick but very unsurprising given that their entire strategy to town management has been build out of town, build shopping centres and gut the main thoroughfare.

Anyway, that is by the by. We need to make the best of a crap location. The transport plan is an utter dogs dinner so it is important to build the stadium to accommodate this. An outdoor fanzone anywhere after the middle of September really is not a good enough answer. The club need to create facilities that will encourage fans to spend far more time at the ground than they currently do. To that end, the club should be looking to do three things.

Firstly, to extend the size of the pub currently proposed, so that it accommodates far more fans. Secondly, for families, there needs to be indoor space dedicated to family friendly events such as signing sessions with injured players, fun games, face painting etc, and more space set aside for kids to receive training sessions, likely in the training ground. Finally for those fans who do not fit these demographics, create retail space and restaurants for those who may prefer to dine and shop, what people would say is a sterile experience.

Within the stadium, the fans need to be provided with plentiful catering facilities and toilets that don't take 20 minutes to negotiate every time. The stands need to be steep so that we feel closer to the action. A small standing section is not enough to get it right, we need to have standing, be steep and close to the park. A corporate bowl will put people off.

As such, it is important for the club to change its long term stance of being fairly ignorant of fans wishes. Messers Yule and Skinner being front of this project has been important up to now. It will be even more important, as these two are the two that understand supporters wishes. Ignore the fans and we will end up with a cattle shed designed for corporate fans only.

Only with good facilities and plentiful facilities that have been thought through will we get this right. If that involves spending a bit more money, so be it. We only have one shot to get out home for the next century right. f**k it up and it will lose fans galore. Get it right and we may well get over the fucking awful location.

It is up to the fans to be demanding and the board to be receptive to the fans wishes.

The reason we're going to Kingsford is because it's the cheapest option.  As the yanks might say, do the math.

I’m in the same situation but I don’t expect the club to make allowances for me, given I live 3+ hours away.

There’s no train back to Glasgow after a midweek game, or one that gets you up in time for an early Sunday KO - no difference whether that’s Pittodrie or Kingsford, so that’s a Scotrail issue.

For those who do drive from the south by car, it’ll be a lot easier getting in and out on a matchday.

13 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

I’m in the same situation but I don’t expect the club to make allowances for me, given I live 3+ hours away.

There’s no train back to Glasgow after a midweek game, or one that gets you up in time for an early Sunday KO - no difference whether that’s Pittodrie or Kingsford, so that’s a Scotrail issue.

For those who do drive from the south by car, it’ll be a lot easier getting in and out on a matchday.

You can make 1pm Sunday games from Glasgow/Stirling/Perth or the Inverness line, won't be possible at Kingsford.

You can make 12pm or later Sunday games from Edinburgh/Fife/Dundee/Angus/Stonehaven, won't be possible at Kingsford.

You can get back from midweek games South as far as Perth and anywhere up to Inverness at a push, won't be possible at Kingsford.

Between this and the bus situation, it seems that those of us without a car aren't welcome at Kingsford. Aberdeen is such a backwards city.

Edited by lubo_blaha