The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

Just now, lubo_blaha said:

Name one that is further from the centre or even built up area of the city/town its meant to represent (not including those with a train station of course).

7 miles from a city centre is hardly remote, especially when it's within the city boundary.

Your hyperbole undermines your argument.

7 miles from a city centre is hardly remote, especially when it's within the city boundary.

The city boundary is a technicality. It’s outwith the built up area of Aberdeen by miles. It’s going to be outwith the road that bypasses the entire city!

It’s remote in terms of having extremely limited transport infrastructure. Kingsford is not a suitable location to regularly transport 15,000 people within a few hours.

10 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Would you be happy with United building a stadium in Leuchars which is a similar distance from the centre of Dundee?

This is why I'm against Kingsford (and I accept, as a Hibs fan, my opinion counts for less, but I am a resident of Aberdeen, who cares about Scottish football)

Put aside the NIMBYs out in Kingsford, who are primarily against this as it will spoil the view from their kitchen window. Think about this purely from the perspective of current, and future, Dons fans.

If you are someone who has a car, or lives on that side of the city, then I accept, the location is far less of a problem. But you have to think of the support on a wider scale, many people don't drive, and won't always be bothered enough to be herded onto a shuttle bus 6 miles out of the city.

What I fear, is that Milne and co. are fully aware of this. I'm not saying this from some kind of mad, conspiracy theory angle, but boards up and down Scotland tend to prefer the idea of fans being sober, driving to games with their family, not singing naughty songs, and then driving home again afterwards. That's fine for some people, and they should be catered for. Families are an important demographic for clubs to reach out to, and helping to improve the matchday experience for young fans is a good thing. But no club seems willing to cater for fans who want to stand, sing, be a bit lary for 90 minutes and then go to a nearby pub afterwards.

It seems as though there is a relentless drive to sanitise football, and, in my eyes, Kingsford will be the most sterile, soulless stadium of the lot (joining many of the other newer grounds, such as McDiarmid and the Caledonian Stadium) .

It shouldn't bother me so much, but it really is so frustrating to see so many Aberdeen fans sleepwalk into this. Kingsford is irreversible, put the stadium plans on hold for a bit, build the much-needed training facilities and then see how it goes from there. Pittodrie will not sink into the mud, no matter what Milne might tell you in statement after statement.

There is no going back from leaving Pittodrie and moving 6 miles out of the city. I, for one, really hope it doesn't come to happen. And then actual, feasible solutions can be sought, such as that huge piece of green space right across the road from Pittodrie, which the club seem to deny exists

7 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Given that I travel from Glasgow to watch them, it makes little difference to me tbh.

I suspect the bridge traffic or the shite roads in North Fife would make a difference!

13 minutes ago, strichener said:

Would you be happy with United building a stadium in Leuchars which is a similar distance from the centre of Dundee?

That's a glib comparison for a couple of reasons. Leuchars is significantly further from Dundee city centre than Kingsford is from Aberdeen city centre. Furthermore it is located entirely out in the countryside. A far more appropriate comparison would be moving Tannadice to the far end of Broughty Ferry.

Kingsford will be better for me personally as I drive yo games now and it's closer to me. However I am still against it is my they cannot come up with an adequate transport solution.
There's thousands of fans who walk/get a short bus journey to pittodrie.
You see loads of fans still streaming into pittodrie at kick off.
The training facility is the most needed at the moment, skovdahl was wanting it fixed and Milne did nothing.
Id love to see a new stadium but kingsford currently isn't the answer.
There's absolutely no need for the training facility to be at the same location as the ground.

Just now, Hibernia said:

This attitude is infuriating

Why?

Regardless of where you build a stadium, a section of the home support will have to travel to watch them. Obviously greater proximity to the city centre should make it easier for most, but there are very few suitable sites in any city centre where you could build a football ground, especially with training facilities.

If the club chooses to move outside the city, or 7 miles away in Aberdeen's case, the club then needs to work with the local area in order to ensure that there is the opportunity for all fans to enjoy the "experience" their way. Connect with local businesses and pubs to offer opportunities for supporters.  Even if the club doesn't help, you can guarantee there will be local publicans who can see the £ signs, and everyone knows a fan who wants a pint will always find a pub.

Admittedly, it seems the transport links aren't great yet, but the club should work with fans and local transport to improve this. You can bet that if 20000 are going to Kingsford every 2nd week, First Bus (or whoever runs the buses in Aberdeen) will be adapting timetables to suit, and large numbers travelling would support a concerted bid to improve the infrastructure in general. The fact that AFC are already looking to lay on shuttle buses shows that they are trying to make this work - this is a method used by Saracens, the current European rugby Champions, who lay on shuttle buses to Barnet, which interestingly enough is 7.6 miles from their traditional home. Saracens are sold out every home game.

Just now, Illgresi said:

That's a glib comparison for a couple of reasons. Leuchars is significantly further from Dundee city centre than Kingsford is from Aberdeen city centre. Furthermore it is located entirely out in the countryside. A far more appropriate comparison would be moving Tannadice to the far end of Broughty Ferry.

Leuchars is 7.4 miles from Dundee City Centre.  Kingsford is 6.6 miles, hardly significant.  It would be "glib" to use Broughty Ferry which is "significantly" closer than Kingsford at 4.5 miles.  Also the far end of Broughty Ferry is Monifieth so hardly a viable comparison.

Anyway given the facilities at Kingsford, the transport links etc.  Leuchars is far more representative of Kingsford.

7 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Why?

Regardless of where you build a stadium, a section of the home support will have to travel to watch them. Obviously greater proximity to the city centre should make it easier for most, but there are very few suitable sites in any city centre where you could build a football ground, especially with training facilities.

If the club chooses to move outside the city, or 7 miles away in Aberdeen's case, the club then needs to work with the local area in order to ensure that there is the opportunity for all fans to enjoy the "experience" their way. Connect with local businesses and pubs to offer opportunities for supporters.  Even if the club doesn't help, you can guarantee there will be local publicans who can see the £ signs, and everyone knows a fan who wants a pint will always find a pub.

Admittedly, it seems the transport links aren't great yet, but the club should work with fans and local transport to improve this. You can bet that if 20000 are going to Kingsford every 2nd week, First Bus (or whoever runs the buses in Aberdeen) will be adapting timetables to suit, and large numbers travelling would support a concerted bid to improve the infrastructure in general. The fact that AFC are already looking to lay on shuttle buses shows that they are trying to make this work - this is a method used by Saracens, the current European rugby Champions, who lay on shuttle buses to Barnet, which interestingly enough is 7.6 miles from their traditional home. Saracens are sold out every home game.

Because it is a line of argument that has no regards for a club's history and heritage. Aberdeen have played in that area of the city for over 100 years, moving them 6 miles out of town would fundamentally change the club's identity, for worse

1 minute ago, Hibernia said:

Because it is a line of argument that has no regards for a club's history and heritage. Aberdeen have played in that area of the city for over 100 years, moving them 6 miles out of town would fundamentally change the club's identity, for worse

I call bullshit!

1 minute ago, Hibernia said:

They're still going to be in Aberdeen. It's not as if they are moving them to Oban.

You might have an argument if it was Hearts moving to Leith or Hibs moving to Gorgie, but suggesting that Aberdeen moving from one part of one-team Aberdeen to another part of one-team Aberdeen would "fundamentally change the club's identity" is utterly moronic.

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

They're still going to be in Aberdeen. It's not as if they are moving them to Oban.

You might have an argument if it was Hearts moving to Leith or Hibs moving to Gorgie, but suggesting that Aberdeen moving from one part of one-team Aberdeen to another part of one-team Aberdeen would "fundamentally change the club's identity" is utterly moronic.

Kingsford might be within the city boundaries but it is still six miles from Union Street. No stadium should be that far from pubs, train stations etc.

8 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Why?

The transport at the Allianz is completely different.  These shuttles that you are talking about are all far closer to the stadium than Aberdeen City Centre, Bridge of Don or Dyce park and ride.  and are running significantly more frequently.  The stadium has  6 underground stations within walking distance, a railway station, a motorway and a dual carriageway.  So in short, nothing like Aberdeen.