The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

13 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

A minimum of 45 minutes from the city centre if you want to catch the last bus at 2pm.

You can laugh of the distances and say people aren’t “real fans” if they let things like that affect them but the reality is that the hassle will put people off and the club will get less money.

But how many people will be starting their journey from the city centre?

Someone from Mastrick for example - how long does it take to get to Pittodrie, and how long will it take to get to Kingsford? It's not 45 minutes longer is it?

Same for Bridge of Don, Dyce, Hilton, Northfield. I could go on.

13 hours ago, sjc said:

So 20,000 people decending upon Kingsford at the same time on the same roads will take 10 mins.......ok then.

Maybe you should read the whole post first before making a c**t of yourself.

I never said it'd take everyone 10 mins to get to Kingsford. I asked how much longer did he think it would take supoorters to get there than Pittodrie.

Funnily enough, there are times 20,000 people descend upon Pittodrie as well, from all over the city, and even outwith the city. Very few of them will have much longer journeys to Kingford. There will be those who have something like 10 minutes longer on their travel time, to those who actually have shorter journeys. That's because not everyone lives in union street.

But how many people will be starting their journey from the city centre?
Someone from Mastrick for example - how long does it take to get to Pittodrie, and how long will it take to get to Kingsford? It's not 45 minutes longer is it?
Same for Bridge of Don, Dyce, Hilton, Northfield. I could go on.

Unless they have a car and access to one of the 1800 parking spaces then they’ll be getting a bus into the city centre then a bus out to Kingsford. Apart from Dyce, none of those places have/will have transport links to Kingsford for every game.

12 hours ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

On matchdays there will be a queue from Kingsford back to Kingswells .How is anyone going to get off the bypass coming from the south? If there are lights on the roundabout it will be different but they ain't there yet.

Maybe you don't know how roads work.

Highly unlikely, there's no queue (well small ones) going to games now, it's leaving that's the issue, and King Street that's the problem. 

1 hour ago, lubo_blaha said:

Unless they have a car and access to one of the 1800 parking spaces then they’ll be getting a bus into the city centre then a bus out to Kingsford. Apart from Dyce, none of those places have/will have transport links to Kingsford for every game.

Oh ma heid. Why do you keep spouting this pish?

There are nothing like 1800 spaces available now, and the majority of the crowd comes by car.  People don't *all* park in the official car park. You can guarantee places like Foxlane for eg will cash in with some parking spots, Garlogie Inn are already saying they'll have a shuttle bus, no doubt so will Jaffs & Red Star. 

Highly unlikely, there's no queue (well small ones) going to games now, it's leaving that's the issue, and King Street that's the problem. 

Leaving is always a bigger issue regardless of location because while arrival times spread out everybody wants to leave at full time

Given that you’re emptying a car park slightly bigger than the one at the SECC onto a road smaller than the Clydeside Expressway that sounds like a recurring nightmare

6 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Leaving is always a bigger issue regardless of location because while arrival times spread out everybody wants to leave at full time

As mentioned above the shuttle bus strategy put forward will require some supporters to hang around Kingsford for up to 45 minutes after full time to get back to the city centre. Can't imagine many fans wanting to do that.

7 minutes ago, RiG said:

As mentioned above the shuttle bus strategy put forward will require some supporters to hang around Kingsford for up to 45 minutes after full time to get back to the city centre. Can't imagine many fans wanting to do that.

Maybe not midweek, but if there's a bar there I think plenty would. (Regardless of where the ground is I should add)

Every Bundesliga game I've been to we've hung back and had pints at the ground while the crowds disperse. 

Edited by shootingboots

1 minute ago, shootingboots said:

Maybe not midweek, but if there's a bar there I think plenty would. (Regardless of where the ground is I should add)

Every Bundesliga game I've been to we've hung back and had pints at the ground while the crowds disperse. 

If there are local "facilities" then folk would definitely hang around for sure. Still can't get my head round the statement that most AFC fans take the car to the game. I think the sample size for that was around 2,000 so obviously it doesn't include every Dons fan but a decent number to survey.

52 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Given that you’re emptying a car park slightly bigger than the one at the SECC onto a road smaller than the Clydeside Expressway that sounds like a recurring nightmare

The whole dynamic will change when AFC move to the Concrete Box. There will be a mass arrival as people coming from pubs/restaurants descend on the middle of nowhere in a much shorter timescale than they do in the city centre and everyone will be in a bus or a car.

Now, a whole lot of folk stagger their arrival time in town based on when they’re meeting friends for pre-match beer & food. Those people who have friends/are sociable will continue to meet up for a beer and/or food, then head out to the boondocks.

Maybe, they’ll change their plans to having beer & food in their own locale rather than going into town but then they’ll be catching a shuttle bus/supporters bus and, again, they’ll all be descending on the Box around the same times.

Of course, families/fans who go directly to the game can drive up and park to their hearts desire and take their seats 45 minutes before kick-off as they do at the moment.

You’re right though, afterwards will be far worse. Worse than the arrival and far worse than it is at the moment. No longer can half the crowd walk off to the pubs and restaurants or even the station or home and let the traffic die down, everyone will be sitting in traffic (except the 400 in the club bar of course – that will make a huge difference).

I see that the recommendation from the planners is conditional on 40 points being met including no games starting before 7pm midweek which could cause issues with European games if we were ever to make the europa league group stages. Also no concerts to be held there.

http://www.scottishconstructionnow.com/23930/planners-recommend-aberdeen-stadium-conditional-approval/?utm_source=Scottish+Construction+Now&utm_campaign=de1f47ed2d-SCN_08_11_17&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_da4310d8ed-de1f47ed2d-66831133

41 minutes ago, Jute said:

Also no concerts to be held there.

With the new AECC and the history of bands at Pittodrie, that's probably no loss. Plus the W.A.N.K.S. were totally against that as well so it's a win for them (though I bet if it was Sydney Devine they'd be all for it)

4 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

Not true. Firstly, the current transport strategy (which I think we all know is going to vastly change when this Transport Steering Group takes charge of it anyway) has buses going from other areas of the city to Kingsford. There is also the buses from park and rides in Dyce and Bridge of Don. I'm not saying no-one will have to get two buses, I'm not saying no-one will have a longer journey, but these people are in a minority. The majority will not have major disruption getting to Kingsford, just a change of routine.

3 hours ago, RiG said:

But this is a regular occurrence at many grounds.

Queue for the underground at Ibrox after a game and you'll often be waiting until 17.30 before getting on. 

At Bayern Munich, they estimate that the car park takes three hours to empty. They have trains that service the ground but they don't hold 60,000 people at once, so there are long queues for that too.

Really, 45 minutes is not a huge amount of time to wait. It's a pint in the supporters bar.

Granted, if you're getting a train back to Glasgow or Edinburgh it's a pain, but as above this is a small amount of people, and there are solutions to that - ie get the shuttle to Dyce train station instead (queue will be shorter, journey time shorter) or run direct shuttles downntue AWPR to Stonehaven station. 

46 minutes ago, Jute said:

I see that the recommendation from the planners is conditional on 40 points being met including no games starting before 7pm midweek which could cause issues with European games if we were ever to make the europa league group stages. Also no concerts to be held there.

http://www.scottishconstructionnow.com/23930/planners-recommend-aberdeen-stadium-conditional-approval/?utm_source=Scottish+Construction+Now&utm_campaign=de1f47ed2d-SCN_08_11_17&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_da4310d8ed-de1f47ed2d-66831133

How I read it they're not banned completely, but Aberdeen would have to apply for permission rather than just announce they have a 5pm kick-off or that Rod Stewart is playing. That's pretty standard stuff anyway.

Oh ma heid. Why do you keep spouting this pish?
There are nothing like 1800 spaces available now, and the majority of the crowd comes by car.  People don't *all* park in the official car park. You can guarantee places like Foxlane for eg will cash in with some parking spots, Garlogie Inn are already saying they'll have a shuttle bus, no doubt so will Jaffs & Red Star. 

There aren’t 1800 spaces for Pittodrie because it is in a city of over 200,000 people with thousands of existing parking spaces plus public transport infrastructure that can absorb a football crowd. I don’t have to explain how city centres work again, do I?

At the end of the day, if building a stadium 7 miles from the centre of a city with no public transport infrastructure was a good idea then we wouldn’t be the only club in the UK to do this. We’re about 20 years behind the curve in wanting to build a major out of town leisure development but that sums up Aberdeen as a city.

Dunno, I’d happily pay good money to see bloody Sheeran.  Hopefully he’d just been set about by a couple of pit bulls and and angry man with a mace.

The checkout lad who sold me my lunch today had a big Ed Sheeran tattoo on his forearm.

There was some pretty shit music kicking about when I was his age but I don’t see any middle aged people wandering around today with Simply Red tattoos