The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

15 minutes ago, strichener said:

Leuchars is 7.4 miles from Dundee City Centre.  Kingsford is 6.6 miles, hardly significant.  It would be "glib" to use Broughty Ferry which is "significantly" closer than Kingsford at 4.5 miles.  Also the far end of Broughty Ferry is Monifieth so hardly a viable comparison.

Anyway given the facilities at Kingsford, the transport links etc.  Leuchars is far more representative of Kingsford.

According to google maps Kingsford is 5.9 miles from Union St and Leuchars is 8 miles from Dundee CC. If a 36% increase in distance isn't significant I would like to hear your definition of significant. The far end of Broughty Ferry (for example Balmossie train station), is 5.7 miles from Dundee city centre.

Given that a large population lies on or near the main route from Union St to Kingsford, and a negligible population lies between Dundee and Leuchars, then yes, your example is misrepresentative.

7 minutes ago, strichener said:

The transport at the Allianz is completely different.  These shuttles that you are talking about are all far closer to the stadium than Aberdeen City Centre, Bridge of Don or Dyce park and ride.  and are running significantly more frequently.  The stadium has  6 underground stations within walking distance, a railway station, a motorway and a dual carriageway.  So in short, nothing like Aberdeen.

You're right, it's not exactly the same. You've convinced me.

NO TO KINGSFORD!!!

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

You're right, it's not exactly the same. You've convinced me.

NO TO KINGSFORD!!!

It isn't "not exactly the same".  It actually isn't even comparable. 

Explain how a stadium that has half the capacity of the proposed Kingsford stadium with all the transport links that I have listed is comparable in any shape or form.  From what I can see, the only comparable factor is how far it moved.

1 hour ago, lubo_blaha said:

Name one that is further from the centre or even built up area of the city/town its meant to represent (not including those with a train station of course).

ΑΈΚ (Αθλητική Ένωσις Κωνσταντινουπόλεως)

"Athletic Union of Constantinople"

They play in Athens

I claim my £5

8 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

ΑΈΚ (Αθλητική Ένωσις Κωνσταντινουπόλεως)

"Athletic Union of Constantinople"

They play in Athens

I claim my £5

Seperated by 1096 km, and 565 years. Excellent work.

15 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

According to google maps Kingsford is 5.9 miles from Union St and Leuchars is 8 miles from Dundee CC. If a 36% increase in distance isn't significant I would like to hear your definition of significant. The far end of Broughty Ferry (for example Balmossie train station), is 5.7 miles from Dundee city centre.

Given that a large population lies on or near the main route from Union St to Kingsford, and a negligible population lies between Dundee and Leuchars, then yes, your example is misrepresentative.

Let me do a Wiggy on this - OK how about Tealing.  Cheap and just as close....

17 minutes ago, strichener said:

It isn't "not exactly the same".  It actually isn't even comparable. 

Explain how a stadium that has half the capacity of the proposed Kingsford stadium with all the transport links that I have listed is comparable in any shape or form.  From what I can see, the only comparable factor is how far it moved.

Explain how someone travelling by tube from Southgate (where Sarrries started and still home to their main fan base) to Barnet is less inconvenienced than someone taking the bus from Aberdeen city centre to Kingsford.

2 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

That’s going to make the traffic situation even worse, half-empty buses and extra cars fighting for non-existent spaces.

Even worse than what? Not getting from Pittodrie for sure, and absolutely not "even worse" than rush hour traffic at Westhill which the NKS tried to state. 

2 hours ago, strichener said:

You are basically stating that AFC are submitting their plans on falsehoods.  

More cars = more walking = larger bridge = new plans = no stadium.  

Supporters of the stadium know that the transport plans are unworkable, opponents know they are unworkable and yet they have been submitted and defended time and time again.  At the same time people who are against the stadium and have questioned parking etc. are NIMBYs. :huh:

Nope, I'm saying the stupid planning limits made by ACC are not in the real world. Aberdeen does not do buses, we have the lowest bus use and dropping in the country, but AFC have been forced to provide a transport plan in line with regs. 

What that will do is force exactly what the W.A.N.K.S. don;t want, and that's cars parking round Westhill. Instead of unrealistic parking limits, ACC should have allowed a car park the size of expected needs to be built. 

3 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Explain how someone travelling by tube from Southgate (where Sarrries started and still home to their main fan base) to Barnet is less inconvenienced than someone taking the bus from Aberdeen city centre to Kingsford.

Did Saracens play at Barnet prior to Allianz or are they less inconvenienced by the stadium move after spending many years ground sharing?

2 minutes ago, fatshaft said:

Nope, I'm saying the stupid planning limits made by ACC are not in the real world. Aberdeen does not do buses, we have the lowest bus use and dropping in the country, but AFC have been forced to provide a transport plan in line with regs. 

What that will do is force exactly what the W.A.N.K.S. don;t want, and that's cars parking round Westhill. Instead of unrealistic parking limits, ACC should have allowed a car park the size of expected needs to be built. 

Yet those are there to ensure sustainability.  If you can't meet them then by definition it is unsustainable.

Out of interest, how many spaces do you think AFC should have been allowed on site?

Did Saracens play at Barnet prior to Allianz or are they less inconvenienced by the stadium move after spending many years ground sharing?

They played at Watford, which was 17 miles away, and now play at the Allianz, which is in Barnet.

I presume what you’re getting at is that 7 miles away isn’t that far when you think how much worse it could be? Either that or you’re ignoring the question because the answer doesn’t suit your argument.

That's a glib comparison for a couple of reasons. Leuchars is significantly further from Dundee city centre than Kingsford is from Aberdeen city centre. Furthermore it is located entirely out in the countryside. A far more appropriate comparison would be moving Tannadice to the far end of Broughty Ferry.

It wouldn’t be though as the roads out of Dundee heading towards Arbroath, Aberdeen and Perth are so much better than the roads heading from Aberdeen to Kingsford. It would be more like the stadium being put out 5 mile along the Coupar Angus Road.

Yet those are there to ensure sustainability.  If you can't meet them then by definition it is unsustainable.

Out of interest, how many spaces do you think AFC should have been allowed on site?

3000 anyway, but probably more. 

Just now, Mark Connolly said:

They played at Watford, which was 17 miles away, and now play at the Allianz, which is in Barnet.

I presume what you’re getting at is that 7 miles away isn’t that far when you think how much worse it could be? Either that or you’re ignoring the question because the answer doesn’t suit your argument.

No what I am getting at is that their stadium move is not comparable to Aberdeen, they have moved to a location nearer to what is in your own words "where their fan base is".  According to their history pages, Saracens have played at multiple places during their history and have not had their own ground since the '90s - Aberdeen have their own ground and have never strayed from Pittodrie.  Keep clutching at those straws though.

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

It wouldn’t be though as the roads out of Dundee heading towards Arbroath, Aberdeen and Perth are so much better than the roads heading from Aberdeen to Kingsford. It would be more like the stadium being put out 5 mile along the Coupar Angus Road.

Err fit? The road out of Aberdeen is dual carraigeway. The roads from north and south will also be dual carraigeway by then. So no. 

4 minutes ago, fatshaft said:

3000 anyway, but probably more. 

2 minutes ago, fatshaft said:

Err fit? The road out of Aberdeen is dual carraigeway. The roads from north and south will also be dual carraigeway by then. So no. 

f**k all point in these roads if there's only going to be 3000 car park spaces for a 20,000 stadium though......

Edited by sjc

Even worse than what? Not getting from Pittodrie for sure, and absolutely not "even worse" than rush hour traffic at Westhill which the NKS tried to state. 

2000 cars, 50-100 buses (not including supporters buses) plus all the extra cars that will park in the spaces will apparently pop up!

More people will face a longer journey to Kingsford than they do at Pittodrie, that’s a fact, even if you won’t. If the traffic is bad at Pittodrie going in all directions it’ll be even worse on one road out by Westhill.