The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

37 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

What was wrong with the south city proposal that was going about a few years back? Maybe I've just made it up.

Council took back part of the land so location was to small for project. 

3 hours ago, fatshaft said:

Council took back part of the land so location was to small for project. 

Revisionist pish.   ACC had approved the stadium plans.  At the time the official response from AFC was

“Naturally we are delighted the elected members within Aberdeen City Council have taken on board the recommendations of their colleagues in the planning department.

“However, I would stress, while this is an important step in terms of the move by AFC towards a new home, there remains a tremendous amount of work to be done before our vision becomes a reality.”

This then changed once Calder Park was refused:

Disappointment and frustration do not come close to how my colleagues and I are feeling right now.

As was made crystal clear, the Calder Park development has been designed as part of the master planning exercise to be completely integral with the new AFC stadium at Loirston, and this decision has effectively also killed off that development.

So just how long do you expect ACC to hold onto all unused ground until AFC decide what the next "plan x" will be?

Edited by strichener

5 minutes ago, strichener said:

Revisionist pish.   ACC had approved the stadium plans.  At the time the official response from AFC was

This then changed once Calder Park was refused:

So just how long do you expect ACC to hold onto all unused ground until AFC decide what there next "plan x" will be?

Cheers for the quotes. 

So, I was correct then. 

Good luck this weekend, I've stuck you on for the win. 

13 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

If ACC turn down planning permission for Kingsford, what makes anyone campaigning for the redevelopment of Pittodrie think they’d suddenly bend over backwards to accommodate the club staying where they are. Have they not already said that they are against any development of the kings links because it’s land for the common good or something like that.

The Strategic Development Planning Authority back in February 2017, giving more hope to Pittodrie than they've ever given to Kingsford.

It has not been articulated sufficiently as to why such a scale of facilities is required and also the need for it to be co-located with a stadium. Redeveloping Pittodrie is viewed as in conflict with the existing residential use of the area even though the stadium has been in existence for over 100 years. Reasons against developing Kings Links are the loss of the golf course and land being Common Good. All development will encounter issues that required solutions and negotiation, many more complex than the above.

You'd think they actually want a city centre stadium but it's never been tried. 

9 minutes ago, gkneil said:

Surprised at that. Westhill heids gone incoming

Not really that surprising. If Aberdeen could keep pushing the "economic benefit" line enough then the Council would be more and more likely to give thought to overruling their own planning policy and permit development.

As mentioned before on this thread however I wouldn't be surprised if the plans get the go ahead but are then held up by the Westhill objectors bringing a Judicial Review of the decision.

Edited by RiG

There is a bigger issue at hand here, and it is one that is being ignored by the media and clubs alike. It relates to the sterilisation of football. At a boardroom level, clubs are controlled by people who are determined to turn football into a sanitised, family-friendly, entertainment package. Kingsford will accommodate all of that.

No train station for miles? Just drive to the game!

No independent pub in sight? Just go to the game sober!

This has been done with complete and utter malice from Milne. He is a fraud, an absolute crook, and I only hope history judges him as such. 

As for Aberdeen fans celebrating this "step forward", I hope you know that the construction of this stadium will be the death of your club. Almost no club since the Taylor Report has moved to a modern, all-seater stadium with any great success - particularly one six miles out of the city centre

2 minutes ago, Hibernia said:

There is a bigger issue at hand here, and it is one that is being ignored by the media and clubs alike. It relates to the sterilisation of football. At a boardroom level, clubs are controlled by people who are determined to turn football into a sanitised, family-friendly, entertainment package. Kingsford will accommodate all of that.

This has been done with complete and utter malice from Milne. He is a fraud, an absolute crook, and I only hope history judges him as such. 

As for Aberdeen fans celebrating this "step forward", I hope you know that the construction of this stadium will be the death of your club. Almost no club since the Taylor Report has moved to a modern, all-seater stadium with any great success - particularly one six miles out of the city centre

:lol:

A heap of pish

Hope it goes ahead on Monday to witness the utter head combustion of the @nokingsford c***s 

This is a huge battle in the future of fan culture in Scotland. A move to Kingsford, a stadium six miles outside of the city centre, with no rail links, is awful for fans, both home supporters and visiting ones. As with all stadium moves, there will be a surge in attendances for a season or two, before the novelty of travelling, and I can't repeat this enough, SIX MILES, to Kingsford wears off

3 minutes ago, Hibernia said:

Ok there pal. We'll take your concerns on board and give them the attention they deserve.

tySfoN.gif&hash=98e068f46b86f5fbb4e8ed9d

There are very real concerns raised, not by the NIMBYs, but by ordinary Aberdeen fans, who rightly question Milne's judgement on this. Could have redeveloped Pittodrie decades ago, chose not to repeatedly. Two failed stadium attempts already, what on earth makes you trust him about this?

It's been a shambles from beginning to end, I just hope the council make the right decision and block it.  Then Milne can actually look into redeveloping Pittodrie, or the Kings Links proposal, properly

9 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Ok there pal. We'll take your concerns on board and give them the attention they deserve.

tySfoN.gif&hash=98e068f46b86f5fbb4e8ed9d

I think Hibernia makes valid points but on the other hand you have to understand that at the core of it all is a football team, and they need to be given the best platform to succeed. Aberdeen are woefully under equipped and will be left behind if things don't change.

12 minutes ago, Hibernia said:

Where I will acknowledge that you have used the word 'Almost' I still feel I have to point out to you that had Geoff Brown not come in and Saints not made the move to McDiarmid we would 'almost' certainly be deid going on 25 plus years by now! That or floating around the lower leagues with a ramshackle stadium just managing to survive year on year.  So suffice to say when you consider all of the above and add to that our most successful period in history as a club, I'd say great success was exactly what was achieved by moving  to a modern, all-seater stadium.

There are very real concerns raised, not by the NIMBYs, but by ordinary Aberdeen fans, who rightly question Milne's judgement on this. Could have redeveloped Pittodrie decades ago, chose not to repeatedly. Two failed stadium attempts already, what on earth makes you trust him about this?

It's been a shambles from beginning to end, I just hope the council make the right decision and block it.  Then Milne can actually look into redeveloping Pittodrie, or the Kings Links proposal, properly
Your involvement in this discussion would benefit greatly from taking page 1 as a starting point not p154.

3 minutes ago, shootingboots said:

I think Hibernia makes valid points but on the other hand you have to understand that at the core of it all is a football team, and they need to be given the best platform to succeed. Aberdeen are woefully under equipped and will be left behind if things don't change.

This could have been a quote from Ian Donald!  What has been done to secure training facilities etc. since then?

1 minute ago, strichener said:

This could have been a quote from Ian Donald!  What has been done to secure training facilities etc. since then?

I don't really see why you're directing this question to me. I'm not involved in the running of the club and I'm not a shareholder. 

You won't see me arguing against any opinion that the club have not monumentally fucked themselves over in the past 25 years.

We are where we are though, you'll get f**k all for looking backwards. 

Edited by shootingboots

3 minutes ago, shootingboots said:

I don't really see why you're directing this question to me. I'm not involved in the running of the club and I'm not a shareholder. 

It was actually a rhetorical question as I suspect you are fully aware of the answer.

Edited by strichener

10 minutes ago, shootingboots said:

I do understand there are practical, footballing decisions to be made here.

But some of it just seems absolutely baffling. Milne said that it's important that the training facilities are built on-site with the stadium. Why? How many other clubs do?

Some of Milne's claims are, at best, dubious. I am glad that an increasing number of Aberdeen fans have begun to see them for what they're worth. And like I say, I sincerely hope this falls through, and genuine, in depth plans to redevelop Pittodrie, or develop across the road at Kings Links can be actually explored.

Some Aberdeen fans appear to be sleepwalking to Kingsford, I take no glee in trying to warn you of how catastrophic it might be. Ask any Hibs fan if they'd rather we moved to Straiton in the 90s, you'd be laughed out of town. Please don't make the same mistakes of Coventry, Colchester and countless others down south