The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

It doesn't even pass the "capacity test". UEFA state that a category 2 stadium requires a minimum seated capacity of 1500 and 0 standing allowed.  Wick has 300 seats.  Peterhead, Elgin City, Inverurie Locos and Fraserburgh who they also claim pass the "capacity test" for a category 2 stadium are all well short of 1500 seats.  They just looked at a list of stadium capacities on Wikipedia and that was it.

Fair fucks, I've not been to Wick so don't know how many seats therr are there.

Worth noting that Atalantas stadium failed the UEFA test so they've been forced to play elsewhere

For not having seat numbers on their seats - not for having a pitch that is too small or for having an insufficient capacity or any other reason that Pittodrie might fail.

24 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Surely playing a couple of games away from Aberdeen against teams from Lithuania and Cyprus while Pittodrie is tarted up is better than spending the next hundred years playing away from Aberdeen in a stadium miles from anywhere?

I don't think you comprehend how close Westhill is actually to the City Centre. The proposed site is 7 miles from Union Street, it's hardly the middle of nowhere.

In any case, I'm now resigned to this not going ahead. The Aberdeen City Council may, by some miracle, approve it however if we're now also at the mercy of Aberdeenshire Council being able to stick their oar in because of a technicality, we are pretty fucked tbh.

I'll be astounded if this happens, which is a shame, as I really do think it would be great for the Club long term.

If it does go ahead, I hope all fans take a shite in the NIMBY's gardens every weekend. 

For not having seat numbers on their seats - not for having a pitch that is too small or for having an insufficient capacity or any other reason that Pittodrie might fail.

I was on about Wicks stadium and that

13 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

No they're still building new retail complexes up here.

Really? They're not moving them to the outskirts of town?

@RandomGuy. might disagree with me here be I can't help but think the largely abandoned St Catherines Retail park would be an idea location for McDiarmid Park.

3 hours ago, Karl Fletcher said:

I don't think you comprehend how close Westhill is actually to the City Centre. The proposed site is 7 miles from Union Street, it's hardly the middle of nowhere.

In any case, I'm now resigned to this not going ahead. The Aberdeen City Council may, by some miracle, approve it however if we're now also at the mercy of Aberdeenshire Council being able to stick their oar in because of a technicality, we are pretty fucked tbh.

I'll be astounded if this happens, which is a shame, as I really do think it would be great for the Club long term.

If it does go ahead, I hope all fans take a shite in the NIMBY's gardens every weekend. 

Just the 7 miles out of the city centre. Great.

If the plans are rejected, would Aberdeen still be able to go ahead with the training facilities?

13 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Just the 7 miles out of the city centre. Great.

If the plans are rejected, would Aberdeen still be able to go ahead with the training facilities?

Would put me off getting the train up there for a game.  f**k finding shuttle buses out to the stadium after 2 hours on the train.

You'd think the Council would encourage (i.e. land deals etc)  for relocating down to the available land near Codonas /the Range as additional scope for tourism to the City?

Edited by sjc

I live in Westhill and I'm all for it getting built. Much easier to get to for me and the added bonus of not having to go into the hole that is Aberdeen city centre.  The majority of people I've spoken to from here are in favour of it, seems to be mostly bed pishing coffin dodgers holding up the protest banners. 

1 hour ago, sjc said:

@RandomGuy. might disagree with me here be I can't help but think the largely abandoned St Catherines Retail park would be an idea location for McDiarmid Park.

The old railway yard in between Muirton and Hunters, which is empty, would be ideal.

2 hours ago, sjc said:

The new development at Marischal College, while obviously not a suitable site for Pittodrie, is an example. Union Square is also dead new and still thriving. Dunno about places like Kittybrewster, but the trend seems to be for more retail/leisure facilities in Aberdeen anyway! How long that lasts may be up for debate.

[mention=45470]RandomGuy.[/mention] might disagree with me here be I can't help but think the largely abandoned St Catherines Retail park would be an idea location for McDiarmid Park.

Would be great for a fans point of view tbh, room for a training pitch and exits either side.

Don't think the land can be used for anything other than shops though, some peculiarity of our council.

47 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

The new development at Marischal College, while obviously not a suitable site for Pittodrie, is an example. Union Square is also dead new and still thriving. Dunno about places like Kittybrewster, but the trend seems to be for more retail/leisure facilities in Aberdeen anyway! How long that lasts may be up for debate.

Is that not getting an extension built? Half the shops outside were still empty last time I was up but the indoors part always seemed busy. It's been quite good for regenerating that part of the city centre what with all the new offices being built around there.

41 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Would be great for a fans point of view tbh, room for a training pitch and exits either side.

Don't think the land can be used for anything other than shops though, some peculiarity of our council.

Yeh, the town centre will be a ghost town before PKC do anything radical.

21 hours ago, sjc said:

That would have been a great location. Near city centre to encourage plenty trade for pubs and restaurants, walking distance from train and bus stations etc.

The retail units are pretty much all full though, and just been re-clad, so I wouldn't call the site abandoned by any means.

20 hours ago, tree house tam said:

The old railway yard in between Muirton and Hunters, which is empty, would be ideal.

That's a huge site, can't believe it's never been sold off for housing.

Edited by PauloPerth

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

That would have been a great location. Near city centre to encourage plenty trade for pubs and restaurants, walking distance from train and bus stations etc.

The retail units are pretty much all full though, and just been re-clad, so I wouldn't call the site abandoned by any means.

That's a huge site, can't believe it's never been sold off for housing.

Ah ok. Been a few years since I've visited. You give the exact reasons why I thought it was ideal though.