Wasting time/fannying about at work

DA Baracus

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only job I've had where I can remember having time to spare (other than self-employment) was in a warehouse with no internet access at the beginning of the century (so no smartphones yet). Twelve months soaking up council grants, kicking around doing busy work in case someone from the council came by to check up on us, and without even a book to pass the time with. Miserable.

I'm definitely asking DA Baracus to put in a good word for me next time I'm looking for full-time employment.

1 minute ago, D.A.F.C said:

I've always worked for companies who don't let you have a minute spare apart from one.

i found it hard to sit about tbh, hate it

I don't think there are many companies who "let" you have a minute spare. It's an art form to conceal the spare time and you're obviously not very good at it.

2 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Don't want to be skiving. Just always been that way.

Same. Time passes quicker when you're busy.

Idea for a new episode of Black Mirror: people hire out their bodies to be remote-controlled for eight hours a day. Their mind sleeps while they aren't in control, so they get sixteen hours of free time per day, and a living wage. Win-win. I could be down with that.

...until someone starts sending me videos of my body doing appalling things with farm animals  :o

i remember in the olden days being told that France was going to go down the pan for introducing a 40 hour week. 20 years later they were going to be truly fucked for introducing a 35 hour week. 

I think they have pretty much outgrown us since the 80s, and still have better productivity. 

So we work more and have the same to show for it.  

I do 52.5 hours most weeks. often more. 2 people doing 26 would get way more done and there would be two jobs. Economy wide, full employment and efficiency gains. but if i don't, some other c**t will.

I agree with the OP. we'll look back in horror.  

4 hours ago, heedthebaa said:

Solitaire, sudoku, minesweeper, arrowwords 

I must have played thousands of games of Solitaire. Probably tens of thousands. Even getting paid to play that is boring now.

4 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Remember this game lads?

https://gabrielecirulli.github.io/2048/

My company certainly does. It nearly went down the tubes a few years back when I sent the link round to half my colleagues and it was played constantly for about a week. 

I never managed to complete it :(

But I've never played this.

Only played a couple of times but this seems like an excellent new way to waste time.

Just now, Nightmare said:

I must have played thousands of games of Solitaire. Probably tens of thousands. Even getting paid to play that is boring now.

But I've never played this.

Only played a couple of times but this seems like an excellent new way to waste time.

Sporcle mate, sporcle. 

1 minute ago, Rugster said:

Sporcle mate, sporcle. 

I play Sporcle at home sometimes, but oddly it's never made it's way into the work routine.

Don't know if that's because subconsciously I know that the constant typing would draw attention to me. Suppose I could do the multiple choice games where you just click the boxes.

2 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I play Sporcle at home sometimes, but oddly it's never made it's way into the work routine.

Don't know if that's because subconsciously I know that the constant typing would draw attention to me. Suppose I could do the multiple choice games where you just click the boxes.

Constant typing would make you look busy, no?

Archived