Motherwell vs Kilmarnock 17/2/18

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With Killie's games in hand being St Johnstone and Hamilton who both look incapable of beating a drum, I suspect this is must win for Motherwell if we want top six - even with a win our remaining home games are really tough.  It's a game that could go either way, both teams in good form, Killie look very inventive (that pass by Lee Erwin last night for the second goal was from way above the SPFL) whereas Motherwell look completely resolute.  Killie had a bad start and Motherwell had a bad December, take that out both have had very good seasons.  Hope we win it to keep the race interesting.

2 hours ago, tweed275 said:

With Killie's games in hand being St Johnstone and Hamilton who both look incapable of beating a drum, I suspect this is must win for Motherwell if we want top six - even with a win our remaining home games are really tough.  It's a game that could go either way, both teams in good form, Killie look very inventive (that pass by Lee Erwin last night for the second goal was from way above the SPFL) whereas Motherwell look completely resolute.  Killie had a bad start and Motherwell had a bad December, take that out both have had very good seasons.  Hope we win it to keep the race interesting.

Yes a win is important.  What I'm not getting is this notion that Hearts are free and clear of the top six battle.  Both we and Killie should be looking up rather than thinking there's only one top six space left. 

12 hours ago, paul wright scores said:

Has he improved lately as prior to Christmas I thought he was poor and an accident waiting to happen?

Bar his shakey December- I'd hesitate to go as far as "blip"- which coincided with the rest of the team's form going off a cliff, he's been absolutely fantastic.  Carson and Hartley still probably have the edge but he's up there as one of our best signings in the last few windows.  Be very surprised if he's still at Motherwell in a year's time.

10 hours ago, Al B said:

I stand by that, I think he'd be a brilliant midfielder. I will qualify what I said slightly however, I didn't quite mean WE should play him in midfield.

At our level he's obviously of more use to us as a centre half due to his size and athletic ability.  It would be ridiculous to ignore that. In a better league though where 90% of players have his size and physique and you dont NEED him at the back just because he has those attributes, I think he's got the ability on the ball to play in the middle of the park. He's probably the best passer of a ball in our squad and is so composed. There's been more than a handful of examples of him driving forward, and from the middle of the park he's played a through ball that's made me think...how is a centre-half even spotting that, let alone having the confidence to drive forward and play it, and the ability to do it. There was one in particular (I think it was one of the goals in the cup win up at Dingwall, although I could be wrong), where we don't even have a midfielder who could have spotted and played that ball.

On the above, completely agree about Dunne. Says so much about our coaching team, and also the player himself that he's willing to listen, learn and apply it.

I'm not sure if I agree with you but I very much admire your conviction to a - in the best possible way- slightly mental opinion. 

Tbh I'm a massive fan of players playing out of position.  Fondly remember a game at the start of last season where McManus gave up on passing to Marvin Johnson and went on a marauding run down the left by himself. 

According to SC's after match comments, the Lee Erwin we saw last night is the one he's seen in training since the winter break, He's only started to transfer it to a game in the last two against Celtic & Dundee.

Apparently Clarke & Erwin had a heart to heart around Xmas time, Erwin admitted things had to change & he's returned a different player after SC gave the squad a week off at new year.

If he performs like this regularly, he'll be like another new signing for us.

According to SC's after match comments, the Lee Erwin we saw last night is the one he's seen in training since the winter break, He's only started to transfer it to a game in the last two against Celtic & Dundee.

Apparently Clarke & Erwin had a heart to heart around Xmas time, Erwin admitted things had to change & he's returned a different player after SC gave the squad a week off at new year.

If he performs like this regularly, he'll be like another new signing for us.

Lets hope so. The build up play and final ball through to Boydie on the second goal was brilliant. More of that please.

7 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'm not sure if I agree with you but I very much admire your conviction to a - in the best possible way- slightly mental opinion. 

Tbh I'm a massive fan of players playing out of position.  Fondly remember a game at the start of last season where McManus gave up on passing to Marvin Johnson and went on a marauding run down the left by himself. 

I could see Kipre in the role being played by McHugh at the moment.  He does have a penchant for breaking up the opposition's play. I also see where the argument re his passing is coming from. - he seems to have better vision than McHugh.  However, it's never going to happen at our club.  

Not a chance he'll be at Fir Park next season ( barring catastrophic injury ).  Robinson has mentioned more than once that he's fielded enquiries for him. With a bit of luck, we'll have a deal agreed for him before the window opens a la Moult & Preston.   There's another rebuild coming down the line at Fir Park.  This time last year you could have counted crucial players on one finger ( Cadden ).  This team has at least a handful who are crucial to our success this season ( Cadden, Campbell, Carson, Kipre & Hartley ).  It would not be astounding if we lost every one of them this summer ( though I do think Campbell & Hartley will be here next season ). 

23 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Chat is that Hartley’s out long term apparently, maybe even the rest of the season.

Confirmed today by Robinson that he’s out for at least the next two months and that he might well be done for the season.

Thank f**k we signed Aldred.

23 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Pretty much, yeah. I wondered if we might see Cadden as a full-back. I'm not keen on taking McHugh out of midfield, more than anything. He's fine at centre-half, but I think we lose loads when he's not there, and has kicked on recently.

I think so too, He's been getting pelters all season but I think he's been pretty good in between the defenders and the midfield. Sure is passing has been a bit wild, maybe his amazing passing display against QP at Hampden got every ones hopes up.

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:

Confirmed today by Robinson that he’s out for at least the next two months and that he might well be done for the season.

Thank f**k we signed Aldred.

Presser below. Interesting to hear Robinson say there are a couple of options for strikers that we're looking at this week but he thinks that we're covered at the back even with the Hartley injury. I wondered if the fact that Bowman's back training might have meant we'd patch the striker and have a look at centre half cover but it seems to be the case he thinks McHugh can drop back if need be.

22 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Presser below. Interesting to hear Robinson say there are a couple of options for strikers that we're looking at this week but he thinks that we're covered at the back even with the Hartley injury. I wondered if the fact that Bowman's back training might have meant we'd patch the striker and have a look at centre half cover but it seems to be the case he thinks McHugh can drop back if need be.

Interesting that he didn't mention Kipre being out - is that confirmed somewhere?

31 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

40% of the outstanding suspensions, when we constitute only 25% of the league - clear evidence, if any more was needed, of the institutionalised anti#TB4 agenda present in this country.

Luckily, we're fine to win games with 10 men after conceding a dodgy penalty.

48 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

To my #TB4 brothers in North Lanarkshire............where should I be parking on Saturday?

Plenty parking in the streets around the citadel, and the circled area has decent sized car parks. Pubs highlighted as well... Because I'm the caring, sharing, jakey-type.

Parking.jpg

Does that mean Jordan Jones is out too (he asked hopefully)?
Jones is now free from suspension after serving his one match ban on Tuesday night against Dundee.

Mulumbu has a decent chance of making Saturday but Brophy is doubtful thou.

Archived