Motherwell vs Kilmarnock 17/2/18

9 hours ago, Estragon said:

Still can't get over the fact that Accies released him, and then their supporters slagged us on here when Killie picked him up. 

#canning

Accies handling of Brophy is still a bone of contention with me, but I know that Brophy & Canning had major issues with each other, whether he was released to free up his wage I don't know, it seems that killie seem to be getting the Brophy we all knew he was capable of being, alas he never quite fulfilled his potential with us.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, happyaccie said:

Accies handling of Brophy is still a bone of contention with me, but I know that Brophy & Canning had major issues with each other, whether he was released to free up his wage I don't know, it seems that killie seem to be getting the Brophy we all knew he was capable of being, alas he never quite fulfilled his potential with us.

Aye, that's annoying.  Similar rumours were abound when Mark O'Hara went to Dundee - and likewise he immediately had a greater impact at Dens than he'd been able to have at RP.

41 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I don't really understand the constant berating of SteelmenOnline. There are just as many daft and moronic opinions everywhere else.

Really? 

I'd say on here, about 95% of the Motherwell posters are all decent lads.  Can have a decent debate (not wanting to go into the Stuart McCall thing again, but that for example) without it resorting to name-calling, childish nonsense.

I'd say the sensible posters on Steelmen Online are in the minority.  Many, many decent posters have simply given up on it due to the standard going off a cliff.  It's quite rightly, IMO, regarded as a place to ridicule on here.

33 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I don't really understand the constant berating of SteelmenOnline. There are just as many daft and moronic opinions everywhere else.

Aye I'm with you on that.   It also applies to Fir Park Corner.   Oh wad some power the gift tae gie us to see oursels as others see us.

44 minutes ago, happyaccie said:

Happyaccie defying the critics with a perfectly reasonable post. 

I was another one meh-ing over us signing him, and recall some other Accies on here chortling away and prophesying  our relegation if that was the calibre of player we were bringing in, but I'm pleased that he's proved me wrong - he's a really tenacious and busy player with a pretty vicious shot on him, and a great foil for Boyd. I remember Shiels and Paatelainen making a player of Conor Sammon and it seems  SSC and Alex Dyer are having a similar effect on Brophy. 

Probably more appropriate for the Motherwell thread rather than the match thread by my two pence on SO..

I’m a semi-regular poster on SteelmenOnline but I don’t think you can argue that the quality of chat/debate on here isn’t far better. As Desp says the McCall debate on here was a good read, but if that was on SO it would have died a death after 2 or 3 posts and descended into name calling nonsense.

Don’t get me wrong, there are some really good posters on there, Andy P for example, that put forward well written, interesting posts but you generally have to wade through a pile of shite to find them.

I find myself on P&B far more now than I used to be as a result but no doubt will still use SO pretty regularly.

Timothy Alexander Chow

Dear Stephen Robinson,

Please sign this guy and have him play upfront with Curtis Main. I have no idea what position he plays but that hardly matters.

Lots of love,

nsr

1 hour ago, Desp said:

Really? 

I'd say on here, about 95% of the Motherwell posters are all decent lads.  Can have a decent debate (not wanting to go into the Stuart McCall thing again, but that for example) without it resorting to name-calling, childish nonsense.

I'd say the sensible posters on Steelmen Online are in the minority.  Many, many decent posters have simply given up on it due to the standard going off a cliff.  It's quite rightly, IMO, regarded as a place to ridicule on here.

At the risk of derailing the match thread further, I think many of the issues with Steelmen Online are really just symptomatic of club specific forums. You can look at the various Kickbacks, The Dark Blues, WAP, WAT etc and the traits are largely the same regardless of club. Most, if not all, have absolutely zero perspective. 

I used to post quite regularly over on S.O but having just checked, since 24th October last year I've posted 13 times (and 4 of those have been in the last week or so). It sounds hyperbolic but I stopped visiting as it was genuinely hurting my brain. As you say, on here it's an open, multi-club forum you can have a reasonable discussion/debate and it's fine. It doesn't seem anywhere near as relentless or doomy.

I'm guessing the title has since been changed but the fact there was an active Robinson Out thread in a season where we've been to a national cup final, quarter finals of the SC, peaked at 3rd in the league (after 10 matches) and since the 2nd match day of the season haven't been lower than 8th with an average league position to date of 6th is as good an illustration as any as to why many will just give it a swerve.

Don't get me wrong, we might go off a cliff in the run-in this season and end up relegated but given the majority of the posters in this thread were saying that a good season is pretty much what we're having then the regular knee-jerks, hysterical over-reaction and obvious agendas (the complete refusal by some to accept that Andy Rose might actually be a fairly decent midfielder for our level as an example) just gets pretty wearing.

There's an argument that says it probably doesn't deserve the rep it gets but looking at some of the content: reactions to the pre-season friendlies, abuse directed at Burrows, aforementioned scapegoating of players etc it's not difficult to see why it's the subject of ridicule.

Having said all that it's nowhere near as soul crushing as FirParkCorner.

1 hour ago, Desp said:

Really? 

I think all club forums are the same - I see posters from other clubs slagging off their "club" forum on here all the time. It's the massive over-reactions I find difficult to put up with rather than anything else - and there are some great posters on there (and many post both here and there)...

I read SO all the time, but don't post as arguing with other 'Well fans depresses me :)

ETA - Capt. beat me to it and said it far more eloquently.

Getting us back on track - I haven't watched the pre-match presser from Robinson or read anything from Clarke.

What's the injury updates on Allan Campbell & Mulumbu?  I think it will be a fascinating match-up between those two if both make it.  I'm sure Campbell will be right up for pitting his wits against a player of Mulumbu's calibre.

I'm assuming all others are available for 'Well with the exception of Kipré?

2 hours ago, Killie Zenit said:

Happyaccie defying the critics with a perfectly reasonable post. 

I was another one meh-ing over us signing him, and recall some other Accies on here chortling away and prophesying  our relegation if that was the calibre of player we were bringing in, but I'm pleased that he's proved me wrong - he's a really tenacious and busy player with a pretty vicious shot on him, and a great foil for Boyd. I remember Shiels and Paatelainen making a player of Conor Sammon and it seems  SSC and Alex Dyer are having a similar effect on Brophy. 

I agree with almost everything you say apart from the last wee part, I always thought there was a player in him, think he is a confidence player and needs to feel appreciated, his relationship with Canning was never going to involve a love in between the two of them, if SC handles him well he will be 

2 hours ago, Estragon said:

Aye, that's annoying.  Similar rumours were abound when Mark O'Hara went to Dundee - and likewise he immediately had a greater impact at Dens than he'd been able to have at RP.

These are not rumours Young Brophy and Canning together was akin to a Molotov cocktail, very explosive and not good to have within the squad.

Archived