F1 2018

die hard doonhamer

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No as you don’t have to stay within a certain distance behind a car, it’s the earliest time of arrival which means the gaps will fluctuate during the lap - can be ten seconds ahead at one point, five seconds ahead a few corners later.
Hamilton pits, this just got interesting.

But surely if you are all reducing your speed by 40% the time gap should remain constant? Are you meaning that raikkonen just didn't drive optimally to the vsc so Hamilton closed up on him while remaining inside the vsc parameters?

3 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:
8 minutes ago, IainMorton said:
No as you don’t have to stay within a certain distance behind a car, it’s the earliest time of arrival which means the gaps will fluctuate during the lap - can be ten seconds ahead at one point, five seconds ahead a few corners later.
Hamilton pits, this just got interesting.

But surely if you are all reducing your speed by 40% the time gap should remain constant? Are you meaning that raikkonen just didn't drive optimally to the vsc so Hamilton closed up on him while remaining inside the vsc parameters?

Yeah both drivers will be keeping within the limits at different times, so when Kimi slows down to stay within the limit Hamilton is going faster, then Lewis slows down and Kimi speeds up again etc.

Yeah both drivers will be keeping within the limits at different times, so when Kimi slows down to stay within the limit Hamilton is going faster, then Lewis slows down and Kimi speeds up again etc.
OK cheers, so effectively Hamilton going into the pits allows him to close right up as he's then going to 'lose' that time in the pit lane. Appalling decision by ferrari then, maybe they were trying to dupe Hamilton into a wrong move then hope the vsc was still on next lap. Ferrari strategists are either truly inept or just so much unluckier than the Mercedes guys!

Vettel once again showing his lack of race-craft.
PS - For anyone watching on Sky did you hear the guy doing the F1 engine impressions on lap 9 just before Ricciardo went off?
I thought I was hallucinating but they did mention it later and seemed surprised it had been broadcast to the world. Pleasantly surprised to see an actual race up front for the last few laps....if only it was that way every time. Watched Nascar from Kansas on laptop at the same time. I love Sundays.

4 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

Vettel once again showing his lack of race-craft.

PS - For anyone watching on Sky did you hear the guy doing the F1 engine impressions on lap 9 just before Ricciardo went off?

You could hear it on C4 as well. Really weird.

Cracking race, and I'm absolutely delighted for Kimi to win a race before his retirement move to Sauber.

I’m just watching the Williams documentary on Netflix. f**k me the fires on those early f1 cars were scary.
That is a brilliant documentary. Really captures an essence of the sport that a million hours of behind the scenes tomfoolery that Sky churn out on their F1 channel can't even come close to touching on.

Archived