BBC bias

IMG_0653.thumb.jpg.7f8c4e446056bf28a5f97e866f2fa601.jpg
Let’s have some parent and member of a think tank ‘Reform Scotland’ on the radio to discuss the schools issue but fail to mention that they have links to the Tories. A previous political advisor to them.
Michael Marra doing the same today representing some education lobbying group aka Labour Party front.

It's just ridiculous that they get away with this again and again.

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Michael Marra doing the same today representing some education lobbying group aka Labour Party front.

It's just ridiculous that they get away with this again and again.

Again, SNP figures need to go on the attack with this. They should openly ask these “concerned members of the public” on air whether they have links to political parties, explaining that plants have been used by the station before. Get the word out there, live, and see if the hosts deny it.

For SNP members such as my family the BBC is recognised as and stands as anti Scottish, with this new Director Generals politics this continuing attacks on our identity will intensify so as to satisfy his english tory government.

Sarah Smith is a blurt.

I've been listening to BBC Radio Scotland in the afternoons for the past month (not through choice), and there's a clear and consistent pattern of SNP politicians being asked a question, interrupted almost immediately, and then subjected to a barrage of abrupt, staccato questions in a belligerent tone, that simply does not happen to politicians from other parties when they are being interviewed by the exact same presenters. It's blatant.

Every single political story begins 'Sturgeon accused', 'SNP attacked' or similar. It's a clear policy of framing every topic as if the SG are wrong by default, attacking from the get go, then permitting a bare minimum of counter-argument towards the end of the piece. They do exactly the same with their TV coverage.

Edited by Boo Khaki

For SNP members such as my family the BBC is recognised as and stands as anti Scottish, with this new Director Generals politics this continuing attacks on our identity will intensify so as to satisfy his english tory government.
Sarah Smith is a blurt.

I’d have given this 2 greenies if I could.
1 for the thrust of the point & 1 for use of the word “blurt” - a truly underused phrase!

The BBC have an annoying habit of allowing space for subjective individuals who are almost always "devastated"

There was a story of someone who couldn't give blood due to a medical condition..

Q - how did that make you feel?

A - devasted

and today..

Q - you can't open your bar for another few days, how does that make you feel?

A - devastated

If I couldn't give blood due to a medical condition, I'd be mildly perturbed at worst and I'm sure publicans will move on like the rest of us.

Moanings that are most likely more sneakily motivated than plaintive are probably best left to the likes of the Daily Record.

An observation from Wednesday afternoon. I caught a radio Scotland news summary where they played a 20 second clip of Carlaw setting out his criticism of the approach to Covid, the economic hit etc and I fully expected them to play the FM response. If you don't do both, how can the report be balanced? I understand she fired him away with a well constructed tellt as usual. 

An observation from Wednesday afternoon. I caught a radio Scotland news summary where they played a 20 second clip of Carlaw setting out his criticism of the approach to Covid, the economic hit etc and I fully expected them to play the FM response. If you don't do both, how can the report be balanced? I understand she fired him away with a well constructed tellt as usual. 
She absolutely tore him a new one.

I used to think that complaints about bias were exaggerated but have noticed more and more in the past few years how blatant it has become.

The constant lack of reply.

The retelling of any SNP bad story from the opposition without any actual checking of the facts.

The use of supposedly independent individuals to back up the narrative - who turn out to be linked to the different opposition parties. This can take the form of campaigning bodies /think tanks or more sleekitly pretending to be ordinary members of the public.

It is is utterly duplicitous and needs to be called out.

The other thing that's common to every SNP/SG related piece, is that as soon as the discussion/interview is over, you get the presenter recapping with a 'So and So there, denying accusations of X etc", and it's invariably in a condescending "did ye, aye?" tone.

I can't ever recall the BBC doing a piece, on either TV or Radio, where the story was presented in a factual manner, the SNP/pro-indi interviewee immediately appeared to advocate for it, and then the anti side were permitted their rebuttal. It's always been; Put on serious face, Present story in an inherently sceptical manner and tone, have critic on to talk it down/deride it as a load of nonsense, permit bare legal minimum of time for SNP wonk to try and defend it.

I understand that the BBC are bound by law to give all the parties set amounts of airtime, but the other thing I find infuriating is that you get Carlaw, Leonard, Rennie, and whoever the f**k else all given time to pitch in, so say 30 seconds each, that's 1.5 to 2 mins of pro-union hot air and nawbaggery, and that's supposed to be fair and impartial when they then give 30 seconds to Sturgeon, Swinney or whoever for a rebuttal.

Edited by Boo Khaki

21 hours ago, sophia said:

The BBC have an annoying habit of allowing space for subjective individuals who are almost always "devastated"

There was a story of someone who couldn't give blood due to a medical condition..

A - devasted

and today..

A - devastated

If I couldn't give blood due to a medical condition, I'd be mildly perturbed at worst and I'm sure publicans will move on like the rest of us.

Moanings that are most likely more sneakily motivated than plaintive are probably best left to the likes of the Daily Record.

It's not just bar owners/publicans who are devastated because bars can't open.

On 18/06/2020 at 23:21, sophia said:

A - devasted

and today..

A - devastated

https://youtu.be/ZJpgpT1SvFE

BBC radio from the highlands and islands yesterday reported on a new hydro scheme that will produce "1.6MWs per year".

The service they provide at this instant in time might be safe but I fear for local public service broadcasting over a period of time.

11 minutes ago, sophia said:

BBC radio from the highlands and islands yesterday reported on a new hydro scheme that will produce "1.6MWs per year".

The service they provide at this instant in time might be safe but I fear for local public service broadcasting over a period of time.

Was that the storage thing near Foyers or somewhere where they're planning to pump water up at off peak and drop it through a turbine at peak to top up supply? Might explain the low figure if so. Had a lot of planning trouble over transport disruption during building. Also heard about a mini hydro generator on the river Ness being talked about, every little helps. Getting a bit of dejas vu here, we may have chatted about this stuff before.

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Was that the storage thing near Foyers or somewhere where they're planning to pump water up at off peak and drop it through a turbine at peak to top up supply? Might explain the low figure if so. Had a lot of planning trouble over transport disruption during building. Also heard about a mini hydro generator on the river Ness being talked about, every little helps. Getting a bit of dejas vu here, we may have chatted about this stuff before.

It's near Loch Teacuis in Morven.

1.6MW is the instantaneous power output and the BBC editorial team confused it with the annual and cumulative MWh value.

My point being that if such sloppiness prevails, central management might be emboldened and carry out what they attempted before and get rid of what should be a valuable local resource.