Netflix

Biscuits

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

Intriguing but I'd rather be pulling the strings from the shadows than over lording it in public.

Aye, it does seem like a lot of hard work, time and effort that quite frankly I wouldn’t be prepared to put in either. Better to let someone else do it and be the fall guy/girl if (when) it goes wrong. 

On 15/08/2023 at 12:20, ScotiaNostra said:

The Top boy trailer was released, last season starts Sept 7th. Im hoping it lives up to the expectation at times the last season was a bit thin but was still good.

Barry Keoghan and Brendan Gleeson join the cast, obviously playing some sort of Kinahan like mob.

Aye I think the shows progressively got worse tbh. Didn't enjoy the last season anywhere near as the first of the Netflix ones. 

Realistically they should just have the Albanians wiping the lot of them but I imagine it'll end with a Sully vs Dushane head to head. 

Watched a couple of the "Untold" series

First - Johnny Manziel the first freshman heisman trophy winner, was destined for super stardom but turns out was a complete bampot and enjoyed the party too much - if you watched friday night lights you will enjoy this he is every one of the football characters rolled into one

The next one was Crime and Penalties - A Mob boss buys a lower league ice hockey franchise for his delinquent 17 year old son to run and chaos ensues

its all a bit over the top the way the interviews are set and the people are certainly larger than life but entertaining all the same 

4 hours ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

First - Johnny Manziel the first freshman heisman trophy winner, was destined for super stardom but turns out was a complete bampot and enjoyed the party too much - if you watched friday night lights you will enjoy this he is every one of the football characters rolled into one

The next one was Crime and Penalties - A Mob boss buys a lower league ice hockey franchise for his delinquent 17 year old son to run and chaos ensues

its all a bit over the top the way the interviews are set and the people are certainly larger than life but entertaining all the same 

The Ice Hockey one is brilliant, a real life Tony Soprano letting AJ run his team.

On 18/08/2023 at 08:21, Mark Connolly said:

The Ice Hockey one is brilliant, a real life Tony Soprano letting AJ run his team.

On 18/08/2023 at 04:09, Don Diego De la Vega said:

Going to watch this as soon as I finish Painkiller, the Josh Sims-endorsed story of OxyContin.  It’s really snappily written. 

8 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Going to watch this as soon as I finish Painkiller, the Josh Sims-endorsed story of OxyContin.  It’s really snappily written. 

I've watched another couple of them, same style interviews and an enjoyable watch 

Malace in the palace - Basketball based about the Indiana Pacers team that had a boxing match with the crown in detroit 

The girlfriend who didn't exist - Catfished Superstar college football player - absolutely wild 

Edited by Don Diego De la Vega

3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Out of interest, have you seen the TV show Dopesick? Was out a few years ago, and Painkiller seems to be the same show(well, based on some of the same people anyway). Just wondered if it's just the same story produced by a different streaming service(I think it was Disney that I watched Dopesick on, was really good, but a tough watch at times. Michael Keaton and Kaitlyn Dever were both excellent)

18 hours ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

The girlfriend who didn't exist - Catfished Superstar college football player - absolutely wild 

The wildest thing about that doc was how much it overplayed the whole 'potential star career ruined by drama' element.

Te'o was hugely overdrafted even at the 2nd round slot, he didn't have the size or the athleticism to be even an average level talent in the NFL. Chargers persisted with him for longer than his play deserved, and he did jack shit in New Orleans afterward. Out of the league by 30.

It's undoubtedly sad what happened to him, and the panic attacks will not have helped him any, but he wasn't physically up to playing in the NFL, so the whole 'ruined his potential' thing is nonsense. He got found out in the exact way that a lot of people were predicting well before the GF thing even happened. I suppose the truth wouldn't make such a great documentary though.

A typical case of a college player being totally overhyped because of the profile of the programme, and the adulation afforded to college stars. Great college player, very poor NFL one.

On 18/08/2023 at 04:09, Don Diego De la Vega said:

Absolutely nobody comes out of the Manziel one with any credit.   Nobody.  His dad is an absolute OFTW.  

Edited by Savage Henry

On 24/08/2023 at 17:00, Gianfranco said:

I’ve not actually seen the Pacific yet so that would be ideal. 

Just don't go into it thinking it's the same level of story ...or characters....or acting.

It's based on a couple of books , so , the narrative isn't as strong  , it's decent but just adjust your expectations if you're expecting another Band Of Brothers. 

15 hours ago, saint dave said:

Just don't go into it thinking it's the same level of story ...or characters....or acting.

It's based on a couple of books , so , the narrative isn't as strong  , it's decent but just adjust your expectations if you're expecting another Band Of Brothers. 

Band of Brothers is also based on a book. I read it many years ago, and is really interesting to compare to the show. 

Sobel (David Schwimmer) killed himself in the 50s,not mentioned in the show. 

On 22/08/2023 at 21:13, The Naitch said:

Heartstopper Season 2 next...

Well wasn't that bloody lovely?

So beautifully written and acted, with such warmth as well.  I hope there's not a long wait for season 3.

12 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Band of Brothers is also based on a book. I read it many years ago, and is really interesting to compare to the show. 

Sobel (David Schwimmer) killed himself in the 50s,not mentioned in the show. 

Just one book though , whereas the Pacific is based on at least two and Sledge's book isn't that great and two are autobiographical rather than biographical. So I think that the Pacific isn't as linear and the source material not as good. 

Don't get me wrong it's okay , just not on a level with Band of Brothers.

On 24/08/2023 at 08:58, KnightswoodBear said:

Read a thing yesterday which said Band of Brothers and The Pacific are coming to Netflix next month.

Hopefully it's the UK and not just the US

I think it might just be stateside. Both are HBO productions who have the deal here with Sky. In the states they've started to put some of their back catalogue on to Netflix as they control the rights.