Netflix

Biscuits

I have started watching Muscles and mayhem. The story of American Gladiators. How the show came about, how rubbish the format was to begin with. Watching the first episode, it’s amazing how it somehow become the phenomenon it was across here. 

3 hours ago, buchan30 said:

I have started watching Muscles and mayhem. The story of American Gladiators. How the show came about, how rubbish the format was to begin with. Watching the first episode, it’s amazing how it somehow become the phenomenon it was across here. 

What I remember, at the time and from what I saw, the US version was filmed in a small studio and wasn't like the stadium-wide UK version. But that was from my memories of 30 years ago...

Yeah it seems the Americans went through all the hardships and they had pretty much sorted the format out by the time the GB version turned up. Went to see it when I was little but was disappointed it was some sort of kids vs Gladiators special edition which was a bit shit. Also, Jet wasn't involved for some reason which was even shitter.

Thought the American Gladiators programme on Netflix was quite good. It probably isn't any massive spoiler to say that they were all exploited disgracefully, throughout. 

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

American Gladiators used to be on ITV in the wee small hours of the weekend, right around Married With Children, The Hitman and Her, and Get Stuffed.

No idea why now, as I've not seen it in thirty years, but at the time I thought it was way better than the UK version that followed. I remember the American one being mental and hilarious because they seemed to take it seriously.

Aye I watched all of Muscles and Mayhem this week. Surprisingly good stuff and would definitely recommend. Pretty funny and oddly touching at points. The gladiators they have talking about it all seem pretty sound (unlike that one contestant who came across as an absolute p***k). Thought however that the TV executives came across as bullshitters.

Ice (still looking tremendous by the way) got it spot in that greed ruined it. The gladiators were the ones working hard every day and just wanted their fair share, but the usual already rich types wanted to hoard all of the cash for themselves. I despise such greed and those type of greedy people.

UK gladiators was tremendous stuff. Absolutely loved it as a kid and teenager and it was vital Saturday evening viewing. I recall they tried a reboot that flopped badly.

However...

Physical - 100 is a good watch for the strength/endurance stuff. 

Essentially a range of Olympian athletes and bodybuilders, sports stars, fitness vloggers etc.. all competing in different physical challenges to see who wins. They have some really cool challenges and some seriously impressive performances. 

Would love to see a UK version. 

11 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Yeah it seems the Americans went through all the hardships and they had pretty much sorted the format out by the time the GB version turned up. Went to see it when I was little but was disappointed it was some sort of kids vs Gladiators special edition which was a bit shit. Also, Jet wasn't involved for some reason which was even shitter.

Thought the American Gladiators programme on Netflix was quite good. It probably isn't any massive spoiler to say that they were all exploited disgracefully, throughout. 

I'd have been devastated if I'd gone to see it live and there was no Jet.

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

I know Netflix remove stuff as well as add new shows to their lists but WTF, I was 5 episodes into the new Taboo series and now it's gone! What's going on with that, I've also noticed The Big Bang Theory & The Office (USA) have disappeared too.

Anyone any know why?

Are you on UK Netflix? US Office and BBT are showing as available for me.

Taboo, if you're talking about the single season Tom Hardy BBC show  is still there as well.

12 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Are you on UK Netflix? US Office and BBT are showing as available for me.

Taboo, if you're talking about the single season Tom Hardy BBC show  is still there as well.

Yeah, US Office, BBT & the Tom Hardy season of Taboo, they've all been removed from my regular UK Netflix. Christ knows why, I just watched Taboo episode 5 last night, it was looking decent too.

I'll do the off/on , log out log in again thing, then see if it resets itself 🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by Sensible Soccer🏴

The above issue is a strange one. I can't get some shows, such as The Big Bang theory, Office (USA) & Tom Hardy's Taboo, thru UK Netflix on my TV but can thru my mobile phone, when it's on mobile data. 

My ISP (talktalk) is the issue. All was working fine on Friday night but selected shows were unavailable on Saturday, others work just fine. I'm about to start a new contract with SKY Broadband. So can't be arsed chasing up TT to see WTF they're playing at. 

In the meantime, until my SKY Broadband is up and running, in a couple of weeks, if I play Netflix on my TV I need to use a hotspot thru my mobile, which is easy enough. But I've never heard of anything like this before.

Edited by Sensible Soccer🏴

Episode 6 of The Witcher (S3) is absolutely mental. Tremendous, tremendous episode, probably the best one yet. There's a few outstanding moments, but

Tissaia exploding Finavandrel all over Francesca was incredible and takes the best moment for me. Geralt killing Rience was pretty amusing. Geralt's fight with Vilgefortz was awesome.

7 and 8 are pretty good too but can't live up to 6.

A unicorn, in the desert?! Why not, we've seen wierder things. But where had it fucked off to? 

Why does Emhyr not recognise that Teryn is quite clearly not his daughter (amusing reveal, as I had forgotten all about Teryn as I don't recall there being any resolution to staying with Geralt's pals)? Presumably, as he alludes to earlier, this is part of Vilgefortz's plan to do...something, since he is controlling Teryn.

Fringilla letting slip to Francesa about who really killed her baby was a bit of a faux pas when it comes to her plans. Might we see the elves fight against Nilfgaard now?

Radovid as king could be interesting. Not sure he'll be as malleable as Phillipa and Dijkstra think.

Geralt going full mental at the end of annihilating a platoon of Nilfgaard soldiers (almost) single handedly was brilliant stuff. The big lad is back!

Who is this Falka lassie? Hmmm.

Non spoiler question; why don't any of the main characters know that Emhyr is Ciri's old man?

Also, something always bugged me about Fringilla and I finally realised what; the woman that plays her is an absolutely terrible actor, or at least is terrible in this.

Edited by DA Baracus

21 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Episode 6 of The Witcher (S3) is absolutely mental. Tremendous, tremendous episode, probably the best one yet. There's a few outstanding moments, but

Reveal hidden contents

Tissaia exploding Finavandrel all over Francesca was incredible and takes the best moment for me. Geralt killing Rience was pretty amusing. Geralt's fight with Vilgefortz was awesome.

7 and 8 are pretty good too but can't live up to 6.

Reveal hidden contents

A unicorn, in the desert?! Why not, we've seen wierder things. But where had it fucked off to? 

Why does Emhyr not recognise that Teryn is quite clearly not his daughter (amusing reveal, as I had forgotten all about Teryn as I don't recall there being any resolution to staying with Geralt's pals)? Presumably, as he alludes to earlier, this is part of Vilgefortz's plan to do...something, since he is controlling Teryn.

Fringilla letting slip to Francesa about who really killed her baby was a bit of a faux pas when it comes to her plans. Might we see the elves fight against Nilfgaard now?

Radovid as king could be interesting. Not sure he'll be as malleable as Phillipa and Dijkstra think.

Geralt going full mental at the end of annihilating a platoon of Nilfgaard soldiers (almost) single handedly was brilliant stuff. The big lad is back!

Who is this Falka lassie? Hmmm.

Non spoiler question; why don't any of the main characters know that Emhyr is Ciri's old man?

Also, something always bugged me about Fringilla and I finally realised what; the woman that plays her is an absolutely terrible actor, or at least is terrible in this.

Damn you! Damn you to hell!

I gave up after episode 3. Now I need to go back.

I was wondering who

the archer lassie from Brokilon forest was. On first glance I thought it was Karen O from the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Of course I immediately realised it wasn't. But now I know; it's Xu Xaling from Shang Chi (his sister).