Mike Tyson

14 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

We get it. Opinions that dont match yours get disregarded. Thankfully everyone else on a discussion forum knows better and sees you as a figure of ridicule. Atlas knew young Tyson aswell as anyone did.

I think the fact that he uses McBride as an example really shows that he did have bitterness towards Tyson, Tyson was as done as a done thing can be long before then.

Go and look at the record of Scotland's greatest boxer when he was done, personally I don't even look at the end of careers if I'm trying to mark someone down, it's something that has to be remembered when people judge Fury and especially Joshua against Wlad.

You're going as far into ridicule one way as you're claiming Pep is IMHO.

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kevin Rooney's views /\
Care to debunk any of them champ?  I'm gonna take his and Ali's over yours if that's okay champ.
Kevin Rooney thinks his fighter was great. Im ok with that. Tyson was great, this is something I have never disputed here.

So you dont have your own views. Cool. Pretty well establishing the crux of the issue all along. You, (and I hate this term normally) like an absolute casual fan at best, read Tysons autobiography and claimed him to be GOAT.

1 minute ago, ayrmad said:

I think the fact that he uses McBride as an example really shows that he did have bitterness towards Tyson, Tyson was as done as a done thing can be long before then.

Go and look at the record of Scotland's greatest boxer when he was done, personally I don't even look at the end of careers if I'm trying to mark someone down, it's something that has to be remembered when people judge Fury and especially Joshua against Wlad.

He also said in an interview he wouldn't want Tyson on his side in a bar fight cause he would run etc.  This is a guy who literally emptied bars by himself on several occasions and grew up fighting in the toughest streets in America.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Kevin Rooney thinks his fighter was great. Im ok with that. Tyson was great, this is something I have never disputed here.

So you dont have your own views. Cool. Pretty well establishing the crux of the issue all along. You, (and I hate this term normally) like an absolute casual fan at best, read Tysons autobiography and claimed him to be GOAT.

Lol.  You funny champ.

Just now, Peppino Impastato said:

He also said in an interview he wouldn't want Tyson on his side in a bar fight cause he would run etc.  This is a guy who literally emptied bars by himself on several occasions and grew up fighting in the toughest streets in America.

Tyson will never be my no.1 but he also won't be outside the higher echelons of greatest heavyweights.

It'll take something remarkable for me to move away from Ali as the greatest after the Foreman fight, small guy compared to his fearsome opponent, what does he do, stands and takes absolutely everything he's got then empties him, to understand how good a performance that was people need to actually look at how many punches Ali actually allowed to land properly.

Both Ali and Tyson would be multi billionaires if they were coming through today IMHO.

3 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Tyson will never be my no.1 but he also won't be outside the higher echelons of greatest heavyweights.

It'll take something remarkable for me to move away from Ali as the greatest after the Foreman fight, small guy compared to his fearsome opponent, what does he do, stands and takes absolutely everything he's got then empties him, to understand how good a performance that was people need to actually look at how many punches Ali actually allowed to land properly.

Both Ali and Tyson would be multi billionaires if they were coming through today IMHO.

Agree with this broadly, if you haven't seen it you should watch when we were kings documentary about that fight it's brilliant.  Maybe the best documentary ever, not just sport one.  Fantastic.  

15 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Agree with this broadly, if you haven't seen it you should watch when we were kings documentary about that fight it's brilliant.  Maybe the best documentary ever, not just sport one.  Fantastic.  

I've probably watched it numerous times but I've a memory like a sieve.

Bairnardo's entitled to his opinions on Tyson but someone who has 6 fights in the 6 months preceding his 1st world Title fight then proceeds to beat 8 or 9 ex,current or future world champions in around 2 and a half years deserves far more credit than he's prepared to give him.

1 minute ago, ayrmad said:

Bairnardo's entitled to his opinions on Tyson but someone who has 6 fights in the 6 months preceding his 1st world Title fight then precedes to beat 8 or 9 ex,current or future world champions in around 2 and a half years deserves far more credit than he's prepared to give him.

Absolutely, he was fighting every five weeks for the first couple of years.  You should check that out again then it will be on YouTube probably such a great watch.

2 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Absolutely, he was fighting every five weeks for the first couple of years.  You should check that out again then it will be on YouTube probably such a great watch.

It's just a pity he ended up in a camp that surrounded him with yes men who indulged him while the main men syphoned his cash.

He really needed to be with a team that tried to eradicate or control his obvious shortcomings.

Bairnardo's entitled to his opinions on Tyson but someone who has 6 fights in the 6 months preceding his 1st world Title fight then proceeds to beat 8 or 9 ex,current or future world champions in around 2 and a half years deserves far more credit than he's prepared to give him.
I have given Tyson loads of credit. I always have done. That he is the GOAT is an utterly foolish opinion and even the top ten is a reach. This is due to opponents fought/beaten. Its pretty simple. What I have also said repeatedly is that this sort of fanboyism damages the legacy of Tyson because people sinoly get suckered into the myth of the man and believe he would have sinoly destroyed everyone in history. This is not rooted in any form of boxing knowledge.

Tyson deserves heaps of credit but when people start with the "baddest man on the planet" style hyperbole, as they often do with him, they are best off ridiculed.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

I have given Tyson loads of credit. I always have done. That he is the GOAT is an utterly foolish opinion and even the top ten is a reach. This is due to opponents fought/beaten. Its pretty simple. What I have also said repeatedly is that this sort of fanboyism damages the legacy of Tyson because people sinoly get suckered into the myth of the man and believe he would have sinoly destroyed everyone in history. This is not rooted in any form of boxing knowledge.

Tyson deserves heaps of credit but when people start with the "baddest man on the planet" style hyperbole, as they often do with him, they are best off ridiculed.

I'm not a fanboy but I can still appreciate how good he was, if we're going down the route opponents fought/beaten there will be spanners getting thrown in against quite a few of the top 10 or 15.

Lewis is acknowledged as having one of the best jabs the heavyweight division has ever seen, I'm quite sure if I jog my memory I can come up with quite a few lesser regarded jabbing opponents where he didn't look so super.

15 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

It's just a pity he ended up in a camp that surrounded him with yes men who indulged him while the main men syphoned his cash.

He really needed to be with a team that tried to eradicate or control his obvious shortcomings.

Yeah he needed structure and discipline and a father figure, instead they indulged his every whim and encouraged excess massaged his ego. All so don king could steal his money really.  I can't remember who but I saw an interview where someone said they saw one document where king transferred 43 million straight to himself in that deal alone.

That's why Tyson went to jail btw, king wanted him found guilty so he could control his affairs completely and steal from him.  So he hired his tax lawyer who had never prosecuted a criminal case in his life to defend him.  He wanted him to be found guilty.

18 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Yeah he needed structure and discipline and a father figure, instead they indulged his every whim and encouraged excess massaged his ego. All so don king could steal his money really.  I can't remember who but I saw an interview where someone said they saw one document where king transferred 43 million straight to himself in that deal alone.

That's why Tyson went to jail btw, king wanted him found guilty so he could control his affairs completely and steal from him.  So he hired his tax lawyer who had never prosecuted a criminal case in his life to defend him.  He wanted him to be found guilty.

I always remember watching a programme about Berbick, he was world champion living in a hovel and 110% of his purse was owned by others, obviously just making sure he was getting f**k all by signing him up for 110%.

Hopefully Golden Boy, Money and some others have shown boxers the way to get their fair whack.

Just now, ayrmad said:

I always remember watching a programme about Berbick, he was world champion living in a hovel and 110% of his purse was owned by others, obviously just making sure he was getting f**k all by signing him up for 110%.

Wow I never knew that.  Boxing seems to be littered with stories like that.  I think sonny Liston died a pauper did he not or was it Joe Louis.

I'm actually not that far from Catskill right now was gonna go for a day but just don't have the time. Don't know what would be there anyway maybe d'amatos grave.

I'm actually not that far from Catskill right now was gonna go for a day but just don't have the time. Don't know what would be there anyway maybe d'amatos grave.

LOL....

Presumably not too far from Canastota either then....

But youl have to google that one.

1 minute ago, Peppino Impastato said:

I think stuff like this is fascinating, look at Tyson here, just a scared little boy, five years later regarded as the baddest man on the planet

https://youtu.be/mKjK95aRrhc

I remember him in tears prepping for the Olympics, might even be that video.

Archived