Major League Baseball

jimmy boo

Big move last night with Corbin Burnes heading to the Orioles for two really good talents in DL Hall and Joey Ortiz (neither of whom is actually in Baltimore's top 5 prospects though, showing how stacked they are).

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/02/2024 at 11:50, Craig fae the Vale said:

Anyone follow College Baseball? My team the Washington Huskies had a dreadful opening weekend losing their first two with the third ending up being called a 3-3 tie after 17 innings. Hopefully have a better weekend upcoming.

Yeah I casually follow the Maryland Terrapins who have started the season fairly well!

Found this very funny from the Padres Dodgers game tonight:

That half their minor league players there as well? Never seen a dugout like that before 🤣

Provided it's televised I should mange to catch the end of the Mariners' Spring Training opener tomorrow night when I get home from the hockey at Braehead. Looking forward to seeing the team in action.

• 2 weeks later...

Stuttering start to Spring Training from the Mariners, but any of the games I've caught I've hardly heard of any of the players, so seems to be a lot of minor leaguers getting a run out. 

Quietly confident for the season, the core group from the last two years is still hanging around, and I'm intrigued to see what the new arrivals, especially on the pitching staff, have to offer.

• 2 weeks later...

Dylan Cease to San Diego. Not entirely convinced the White Sox did the right thing with him, they were obviously holding out for the right trade but they've ended up with less than what either Baltimore or some other teams could've offered.

Montgomery and Snell's prices are surely coming down by the day too? Boras is absolutely terrible for baseball, hopefully they end up with disappointing contracts and players stop trusting him.

7 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Dylan Cease to San Diego. Not entirely convinced the White Sox did the right thing with him, they were obviously holding out for the right trade but they've ended up with less than what either Baltimore or some other teams could've offered.

Montgomery and Snell's prices are surely coming down by the day too? Boras is absolutely terrible for baseball, hopefully they end up with disappointing contracts and players stop trusting him.

San Diego gave up an awful lot for him.

7 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Admittedly, I'm not overly familiar with the Padres' farm system but this doesn't look like a huge return compared to what they were rumoured to be asking for earlier on this off season (or towards the deadline last year).

I suppose that's why nothing got done before now though!

7 minutes ago, placidcasual said:

Boras done this with Conforto a couple of years ago and cost him at least a year's salary.

Montgomery still allegedly pushing for a 7 year deal at 31 years old. I know he's been good recently, but considering the Yankees couldn't give him away just a couple of years ago I don't see anybody doing that. A solid number 3 in a decent rotation.

10 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Think this has to be viewed in context. The Pads farm system tends to churn out good prospects, and the two given up are not really anywhere close to the Majors compared to some of the talent they have playing in the Minors currently. The third was part of the makeweight in the Soto -> Yankees deal, and although Wilson had a good year last season, he was really spotty before that and the Pads aren't really lacking BP arms anyway. 

If Cease is a solid part of the rotation and can get through his usual 30+ starts, then I'd view it as good business for SD because they haven't given up much in the way of anything that was likely to contribute much to this season anyway.

Would have liked to have kept Wilson around, but they had a big hole in the starting rotation, so I don't mind losing a guy who pitches one inning every 3rd day or so to fill it.

2 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

15-11 final score. Jeezo.

Looks like the pitchers weren’t quite up to speed.  

In other news - Shohai Ohtani could be in a serious amount of bother.