Major League Baseball

jimmy boo

On 21/11/2023 at 18:44, Boo Khaki said:

Cards fans were absolutely scathing of his inability to manage the bullpen. I think it's just a bit underwhelming because he was part of the staff already and this past season was such a let-down. Time will tell I suppose.

All fans are.  

But you know as well as I do that external hires are not exactly queuing up to work for Preller.  

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Bob in Denny said:

Soto to the Evil Empire.

for seven players?

Intense talks with new Japanese phenom Yamamoto in progress, 

amazing what they can do when Hal opens the wallet..

It's basically a glorified salary dump.

I don't blame the Pads for going all-in given what is now apparent about Peter Seidler, but if you look at what they gave up to acquire Soto for what was essentially a 200 game rental, and what they got in return for getting rid... jesus...

2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

One year rental on Soto.  Gave up middling prospects.  Over the long term, Padres whiffed on that.   

Almost certainly takes them out of the running on Ohtani.  

Yip.

Assuming they are going bargain bin dipping to fill out the rest of the rotation and roster, it does open up the possibility of re-signing Kim, but they've kinda made their bed with the Machado, Bogaerts, and Darvish contracts, and are going to be left trying to win with with they already have from now on.

There are a few pieces who look to be almost MLB ready in the farm system, but I can't see any more big FA contracts or trades happening unless they can somehow dump Jake Cronenworth and his ridiculous contract. Never gonna happen though.

Rumours beginning to circulate that Baltimore native David Rubenstein, worth twice what the current ownership is, has begun discussions to buy the team and it could be complete in the first half of 2024. This would be a bigger win for the organisation than any single trade or free agent signing. An owner willing to spend money, along with all of this young talent, is a recipe for serious success.

20 minutes ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Just had a notification that Ohtani has signed for the Dodgers. Must have fancied staying in LA.

10 year deal for $700million

Quite happy not to have won that race.  That said, some shocking journalism yesterday. 

13 minutes ago, Wile E Coyote said:

Most the salary is deferred.

Has a 10 year contracy ever worked out value for money for any team. Some like Cano and Pujols were absolute wastes of money

Bobby Bonilla springs to mind. The Orioles are still paying him half a million per year until 2028 even though he retired over 20 years ago, and left Baltimore in 1996!

Edited by Zanetti

30 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Bobby Bonilla springs to mind. The Orioles are still paying him half a million per year until 2028 even though he retired over 20 years ago, and left Baltimore in 1996!

Bobby Bo had some agent. He also still gets $1.2 million from the Mets each year. The Reds are paying Ken Gfiffey Jnr $3.6 million this year as well