Major League Baseball

jimmy boo

4 minutes ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Ohtani has undergone elbow surgery. Expected to be able to hit next season, but won't be pitching til 2025. His free agency value must have plummeted.

I think so too, at least slightly anyway. I'm seeing people say he's still going to get $500m just as a hitter, but I think teams will be wary of that after seeing how guys like Giancarlo Stanton have regressed after getting their big deal.

The difference I suppose is that even Ohtani's name has value. It attracts people across the world to watch and attend your games, and buy merchandise with his name.

It'll be interesting to see where he ends up because he's definitely leaving the Angels.

On 18/09/2023 at 00:26, Boo Khaki said:

Pads have finally won 4 games in a row for the first time all year.

Seven now and I've never been so mad about a Padres winning streak in my life.

If anyone is interested in an absolutely brutal and thorough beating of the Padres as an organization at the moment, the Dennis Lin & Ken Rosenthal article is tremendous reading: https://theathletic.com/4874799/2023/09/19/san-diego-padres-disaster-season-preller/

Preller’s roster construction also created difficulties for Melvin. The Padres played much of the first half with essentially only one position-player reserve beyond the backup catcher. Melvin didn’t have many levers to pull.

Preller has to go at this point. The frustrating part is, however, if I had to make a prediction: Seidler keeps his friend Preller as GM, Melvin has to be the fall guy.

Edited by kyle*
words

Just now, Craig fae the Vale said:

Season defining week coming up for the Mariners. Road trip to Texas to take on the Rangers followed by the Astros. Do well and it could well be playoff time. Do poorly and we can probably kiss that dream goodbye.

The Rangers are good. 

edit; the Original Rangers, obviously. The new edition of The Rangers are very, very bad.  

Edited by Savage Henry

On 24/09/2023 at 21:30, Boo Khaki said:

Pads 'improved' to 0-12 in extra-innings games last night. 

Team 1 for 17 with RISP.

Yup, 1 for SEVENTEEN

I'm sure I read somewhere that 0-12 in extra innings ties the worst run ever. Have they got another one in the tank in the last week or so?

Think it was 0-11 that tied the record. 

They are also something like 9-26 in one run games.

Look at the run differential. They have a habit of rattling up 10-12 runs a couple of times a week, then it's 3-4 games in between where they literally can not manufacture a single run. They even NOBLETIGER'ed in the 10th inning a few weeks back, summing up how utterly hopeless they are with RISP in clutch situations.

The mighty Cubs absolutely fecked the pooch last night and managed to blow a 6 run lead in the final 3 innings, including a potential inning ending error, that resulted in the winning runs being scored! 

With 5 games to go v the Braves and Brewers, and only a 0.5 lead over the Marlins, I think they're fecked!

Yours, despite my spread bet fandom (Red Sox, Mets, Cubs, Mariners) I could well end up 0 for 4 in the post season!  Thank goodness I have a bit of a soft spot for the Orioles.

aDONis

22 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Think it was 0-11 that tied the record. 

They are also something like 9-26 in one run games.

Look at the run differential. They have a habit of rattling up 10-12 runs a couple of times a week, then it's 3-4 games in between where they literally can not manufacture a single run. They even NOBLETIGER'ed in the 10th inning a few weeks back, summing up how utterly hopeless they are with RISP in clutch situations.

Seemingly Hader refused to come in and save the game against the Giants the other day.  The Giants came back to win it.  

9 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Seemingly Hader refused to come in and save the game against the Giants the other day.  The Giants came back to win it.  

He doesn't do 4 Out Saves. It has happened once or twice in his time in SD, but not recently, and it's always been known that he kicks up a stink about it.

He's a free-agent after this year, and it's clear from his interviews afterwards that all he's worried about is saving his arm for his next contract.

I said a month or two ago in here it was obvious there were a few Pads players who weren't putting anything like the effort into their performances their money demands. It must be galling for a guy like Snell, who is also about to hit FA, to be pitching at the level he has been since May only to have some prima donna refuse to throw more than 10 pitches once per week.

31 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

He doesn't do 4 Out Saves. It has happened once or twice in his time in SD, but not recently, and it's always been known that he kicks up a stink about it.

He's a free-agent after this year, and it's clear from his interviews afterwards that all he's worried about is saving his arm for his next contract.

I said a month or two ago in here it was obvious there were a few Pads players who weren't putting anything like the effort into their performances their money demands. It must be galling for a guy like Snell, who is also about to hit FA, to be pitching at the level he has been since May only to have some prima donna refuse to throw more than 10 pitches once per week.

Disappointing attitude with an E number of 1.  

5 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

They are an excellent group of individually talented players, but not a very good team. An excellent example of how it takes more than just cramming as many big contracts onto a roster as possible to achieve success. I'll be very curious to see what happens there over the off season.

In other news, the gruelling battle for the AL East can potentially come to an end tonight should Baltimore beat Washington and Boston beat Tampa; Glasnow has been getting smoked recently so that's very possible.

Edited by Zanetti

23 hours ago, aDONisSheep said:

The mighty Cubs absolutely fecked the pooch last night and managed to blow a 6 run lead in the final 3 innings, including a potential inning ending error, that resulted in the winning runs being scored! 

With 5 games to go v the Braves and Brewers, and only a 0.5 lead over the Marlins, I think they're fecked!

Yours, despite my spread bet fandom (Red Sox, Mets, Cubs, Mariners) I could well end up 0 for 4 in the post season!  Thank goodness I have a bit of a soft spot for the Orioles.

aDONis

Cubs lost another by 1-run last night as well, thankfully no Suzuki error but Hoerner threw away a double-play ball which led to a run. Cubs had a lead in the 8th, 9th and 10th innings and still lost. the vibe has fallen out of the Cubs charge to the wildcard.

Pads win their first extra-innings game of the year and are now 1-12 on the season. Formally eliminate the Giants in the process. 

20 hours ago, Zanetti said:

They are an excellent group of individually talented players, but not a very good team. An excellent example of how it takes more than just cramming as many big contracts onto a roster as possible to achieve success. I'll be very curious to see what happens there over the off season.

All the supposedly insider talk coming out in the local media is saying much the same, i.e. Preller really has no plan for building a sustainable, winning team and culture besides just attempting to amass talent and out-talent the opposition. It has apparently contributed to a total breakdown in the relationship between Preller and the coaching staff, with Preller believing that the biggest reason for under-achievement is the staff don't push the players hard enough in terms of pre-game prep, with Melvin insistent that would cause burn-out and lead to even poorer results in the longer term.

Difficult to know the truth of it, but from what I can see happening in games I think there is probably fault on both sides. The roster composition is odd, in that I don't understand the rationale behind going out and chasing another SS when we didn't have a legit option at 1st Base, and at the same time the complete and consistent inability to hit in clutch situations and play 'small' ball looks a lot like inadequate focus and prep, so who knows? 🤷‍♂️

7 hours ago, Zanetti said:

Angel Hernandez continues to be the absolute worst officiator in any sport. This is so bad, and it's every single time with this clown.

Another shocking call. The commentators are right.  It’s almost every game. He’s absolutely the worst umpire going.    And he tried to sue for not getting the World Series.