Major League Baseball

jimmy boo

Matt Carpenter, who basically had no competition for the Padres DH spot since they DFA'd Nelson Cruz, has 2 Hits total since June 14th and is batting 0.057 in that time. 

Bob Melvin still insists on playing him at DH against righties. It's as if this franchise pays no attention to analytics whatsoever.

There is always at least one walking Out in the bottom of the Padres line-up. It's like the days before the NL DH, in fact, I suspect we'd get better production if we just let our SP's hit in the 9th slot.

This is the franchise that showed no interest in retaining Drury or Bell, yet spent a ridiculous amount of money to bring in a SS who is a defensive downgrade on the incumbent, and moved a perfectly good 2nd Baseman to 1st where he is currently having by far the worst offensive year of his career. You'd swear they felt that the roster was on the verge of getting too loaded, so they went out looking to actively make it worse, gut the farm, and get further into Luxury Tax shit all at the same time, and to top it off, it's looking increasingly likely that if they do trade away Snell and Hader, they are going to want 'now' pieces rather than prospects. :bag

They're a great case study in what happens when you give mediocre GM's ridiculous amounts of money to spend. See also the fucking Los Angeles Chargers.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Gunnar Henderson is now favourite for the AL rookie of the year award. If he wins it, the Orioles (with the best farm and 2nd best record in baseball) would be entitled to another first round pick next year. This ball club is going to be good for a long, long time.

11 hours ago, Zanetti said:

Gunnar Henderson is now favourite for the AL rookie of the year award. If he wins it, the Orioles (with the best farm and 2nd best record in baseball) would be entitled to another first round pick next year. This ball club is going to be good for a long, long time.

To be fair, they were a bad, bad team for a long time as well.  Rookie of the Year wins your team a draft pick, does it?   Not sure I like that idea.  Prospects are, by their very nature, overrated, but I’m not sure diluting the draft pool is the way to go.  Seems too arbitrary.

5 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

To be fair, they were a bad, bad team for a long time as well.  Rookie of the Year wins your team a draft pick, does it?   Not sure I like that idea.  Prospects are, by their very nature, overrated, but I’m not sure diluting the draft pool is the way to go.  Seems too arbitrary.

It's a weird one for sure. If a player is in the top 100 prospects according to two of MLB Pipeline, ESPN, or Baseball America, and is in the opening day roster then goes on to win ROTY, the team gets an additional first round pick in the following year's draft.

More and more places saying the Pads are going to look to offload Hader, but not so certain they'll move Snell.

Of course, the East coast media is in full-on 'Yankees should acquire Soto for a bag of baseballs and financial considerations' mode.

Padres hit a solo homer in the top of the 9th at Coors to tie the game 3-3, take it to the tenth, at which point they NOBLETIGER, including having back-to-back base hits but not scoring the runner on second, give up a run in the bottom of the tenth to lose.

0-10 in extra innings. They are pathologically incapable of winning 1 run games.

On 28/07/2023 at 09:03, placidcasual said:

The $375 million Mets have raised the white flag on this season. Robertson traded to the Marlins for a couple of middling prospects.

Verlander away now too. Billy Eppler is apparently saying that they don't expect to be competitive until 2025 now, incredible with how much they're spending.

3 hours ago, Zanetti said:

Verlander away now too. Billy Eppler is apparently saying that they don't expect to be competitive until 2025 now, incredible with how much they're spending.

They’ve done well to get anything for those contracts, to be fair.  Middling prospects sometimes turn into players.  

32 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

They’ve done well to get anything for those contracts, to be fair.  Middling prospects sometimes turn into players.  

Cohen has spunked a fortune paying down some/all of these contracts.  I really don't like what's happening with the Mets at all.

On 02/08/2023 at 13:32, placidcasual said:

Cohen has spunked a fortune paying down some/all of these contracts.  I really don't like what's happening with the Mets at all.

Did the Mets just get swept by the Royals?  Looks like the tanking has begun.