Major League Baseball

jimmy boo

1 hour ago, jimmy boo said:

Would you guys who post here regularly like me to change the thread title to something a bit less out of date?

I’m from the Highlands.  This thread is way into the future for me. 

• jimmy boo changed the title to Major League Baseball
7 hours ago, Bob in Denny said:

Different era..

The Babe wasn't a bad pitcher....

Babe Ruth's career pitching record was 94-46, 2.28 ERA. 147 Games Started, 107 CG, 17 Shutouts, allowing 7.2 Hits/9. His average Won-Loss record over 162 games is 21-10.

107 complete games with a 2.28 ERA is some going.....

He then became too valuable to lose his hitting ability..

Today's pitchers, how many innings? 

It's all pitch counts nowadays...

Arms must have been hanging off...

It's an interesting debate, I think it's fair to say he would've exclusively pitched if he were coming through now. The standard of the game is also much improved now, but he'd also have access to better coaching so who knows!?

15 hours ago, Zanetti said:

It's an interesting debate, I think it's fair to say he would've exclusively pitched if he were coming through now. The standard of the game is also much improved now, but he'd also have access to better coaching so who knows!?

As mentioned, it's a tale of two worlds..

His ERA and the amount of complete games are what stand out to me..

it would have been interesting if they had speed guns in that era..

I must have a look and see what bat and ball regulations were then..

MLB has been 'juicing' or doing things to the balls in the last few years....

The Babe's stats are legendry..

to think of some of the greats who followed him still all fall short..

Link to his 10 best (MLB.com) HERE

4 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

He did that for the NFL as well.

I understand the idea of a familiar voice for anyone watching for the first time, but he's fucking dreadful

Was half expecting a 101 on baseball stats featuring Steve McManaman.

Edited by GNU_Linux

Presentation is dreadful. Dumbded down too much with too many comparisons to other sports. Josh is good on co-comms as always but not a fan of any of the other presenters.

Wish there was an option to watch the US coverage

Edited by Wile E Coyote

7 minutes ago, Wile E Coyote said:

Presentation is dreadful. Dumbded down too much with too many comparisons to other sports. Josh is good on co-comms as always but not a fan of any of the other presenters.

Wish there was an option to watch the US coverage

I’ve currently got an American woman and David Eckstein on commentary.  Not sure how I managed that.  

Boy the cards suck. 

This has been one of the worst played games of baseball I’ve seen in a while.  I guess I’m spoiled watching NL West games a lot (Rockies excepted) but these two teams are terrible.   That base running at home by the Cubs was out by twenty feet.

9 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

This has been one of the worst played games of baseball I’ve seen in a while.  I guess I’m spoiled watching NL West games a lot (Rockies excepted) but these two teams are terrible.   That base running at home by the Cubs was out by twenty feet.

The NL Central is dreadful. 

On 25/06/2023 at 16:22, Sarto Mutiny said:

The NL Central is dreadful. 

It's still better than the AL Central.

Their 1st placed team current has a worse record than the Red Sox, who are 5th in the East!

Edited by Zanetti

Bigger embarrassment - Padres or Mets?

Bear in mind, the Dads have lost Home series to both the Royals and Nationals, and just got swept by the Pirates. 2nd fewest runs given up in the Majors, and still 8 games behind a WC spot because the half the lineup can't hit for shit.

11 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Bear in mind, the Dads have lost Home series to both the Royals and Nationals, and just got swept by the Pirates. 2nd fewest runs given up in the Majors, and still 8 games behind a WC spot because the half the lineup can't hit for shit.

Mets, no question.  The Pads are in a much tougher division, and don’t have Steve Cohen. Both very funny though. 

20 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

It's 100 percent the Mets. No bullpen, Verlander has been awful, Scherzer not much better. Tommy Pham is probably the best hitter.  I'd be surprised if the Padres can out-minter that.

It was a lot easier to watch them when they were shite under the Wilpons.