Major League Baseball

jimmy boo

6 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Soto rapidly becoming my most hated Padre since Eric Hosmer

He looks like he’s forgotten how to field.  He’ll be the DH soon at this rate.  

edit: he was my first round fantasy pick, so I don’t mind if they have to do that. 

Edited by Savage Henry

9 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

He looks like he’s forgotten how to field.  He’ll be the DH soon at this rate.  

edit: he was my first round fantasy pick, so I don’t mind if they have to do that. 

It's not just the awful defence, he's been abject with the bat since the moment he arrived in SD. He's so obsessed with walks that he stares at anything straight down the pipe and over the middle of the plate, and he will only swing at stuff up out of the strikezone, so he rolls over the top of it more or less every time he makes contact and drags a soft grounder to 2nd. The reason I said Hosmer specifically is because the groundball outs more or less every time he actually swings and total defensive liability are all very Hosmer-esque.

TBH I was puzzled why they didn't resign Profar and think about DH'ing Soto to begin with, because he's going to be the obvious glaring weak-link in the field once Tatis is back from PED jail. Carpenter I can understand because they lacked bats with a bit of slug all the way up to the ASB last season, but signing Cruz I just don't understand, even at 1m, and I'm not sure why they felt the need to go after Bogaerts when they could have brought back Profar, Drury, and gone after another SP and had a much stronger roster all around. They've already downgraded on the middle-infield by promising Bogaerts he'll play SS over Kim, and he's already shown he doesn't have Kim's range and athleticism in just two games, so the only place they have actually gotten better on D is at 1st, where they are playing a natural 2nd baseman. 

I love the fact SD finally has an owner willing to spend money, it's all very exciting etc after years of watching 90+ loss seasons, but some of the decisions are questionable to say the least and scream of the owner demanding square pegs are forced into round holes, rather than the staff being permitted to assemble and play the best team possible.

I'm not actively hoping for this to happen because it will be murderous to watch but after spending all this money, if this team repeats last season, goes days on end without scoring a run, is perpetually futile with RISP, and still struggles to get up towards 90 wins, then something is going to have to give. It's the Rockies, the Pads perpetual bogey team, but so far the Pads look exactly like the Pads of 2022 where 3 in 4 games they'd produce absolutely nothing offensively and waste a ridiculous number of quality pitching starts. I'm also utterly sick of the Pads offensive futility being blamed on Petco being a pitchers dream, when opponents regularly turn up and have no problems at all collecting hits, homers, and runs.

Edited by Boo Khaki

18 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

they need Musgrove back in the rotation asap

Yeah, so, about that...

... Looks like he's alright, love the intensity even in a Triple-A game, still frightening to watch -- especially if we're seeing vintage first-half Blake Snell struggle to get through four innings for a while. Wacha & Lugo look like bargains so far.

I wonder how long the Rays can keep this up; they have the Blue Jays next which will be a far tougher challenge than what they've faced so far.

Either way the AL East is looking even more cutthroat than usual this season, at least early doors anyway.

Edited by Zanetti

9 hours ago, Zanetti said:

I wonder how long the Rays can keep this up; they have the Blue Jays next which will be a dar tougher challenge than what they've faced so far.

Either way the AL East is looking even more cutthroat than usual this season, at least early doors anyway.

162-0 is not impossible.  Honestly, I could see them ending up around .500 despite this start.  I suspect it’s just a statistical anomaly. 

Quite the start from the Rays, you can only beat what is in front of you, but they have played poor opposition so far. Then again, they've done it in style with more HRs than runs against (32-30). Seem to be slugging (1st) but also a few shut outs.

Blue Jays have had a good start too, so should be a good series. Can the Jays stop the Rays,  setting the record for wins from start of the season? I'm not sure but will give both teams an extra incentive to win.

5 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Quite the start from the Rays, you can only beat what is in front of you, but they have played poor opposition so far. Then again, they've done it in style with more HRs than runs against (32-30). Seem to be slugging (1st) but also a few shut outs.

Blue Jays have had a good start too, so should be a good series. Can the Jays stop the Rays,  setting the record for wins from start of the season? I'm not sure but will give both teams an extra incentive to win.

I really like the Blue Jays this year.  Their hitting is so good, and the pitching has lost nothing despite Stripling moving on. 

15 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

162-0 is not impossible.  Honestly, I could see them ending up around .500 despite this start.  I suspect it’s just a statistical anomaly. 

I think they're a wildcard team, but a run like this even against poorer teams sets them up well. When you're winning quite so comfortably your bullpen is hardly being tested, and when it matters your relievers are fresh and ready to go!

Edited by Zanetti