Major League Baseball

jimmy boo

On 11/02/2023 at 03:20, kyle* said:

Glad they resigned him, however, I don't think the contract was made with the sincere expectation that he will be pitching at 42. Would be really, cool, but the contract seems designed to help keep the team under the luxury tax threshold. His annual average value drops from $21m to $18m with this deal. He's coming off a career year, if he can reliably play for four years I'd say it's worth it.

Pretty much this. 

It's a bit of a pre-emptive move as the SP is thin anyway and they have Snell coming to the end of his contract as well. I also think they are doing absolutely everything they can think of to encourage Manny Machado decide against his opt-out.

Edited by Boo Khaki

On 12/02/2023 at 23:13, Wile E Coyote said:

Anybody know if the World Baseball Classic is going to be televised in the UK.

Also why is Jazz Chisholm not in the GB roster after previously saying he would play for us. Is he not fully recovered from his injury or did he just change his mind

I can't find anything, hopefully someone will pick it up in the next few weeks. It's all on Fox channels in the US, so will at least be able to watch it on my Firestick

On 12/02/2023 at 23:13, Wile E Coyote said:

Anybody know if the World Baseball Classic is going to be televised in the UK.

Also why is Jazz Chisholm not in the GB roster after previously saying he would play for us. Is he not fully recovered from his injury or did he just change his mind

9 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

I can't find anything, hopefully someone will pick it up in the next few weeks. It's all on Fox channels in the US, so will at least be able to watch it on my Firestick

I had assumed it was on BT Sports because they showed the qualifiers but maybe I'm wrong. You'll definitely find streams online if you don't mind that.

Jazz did commit but the Marlins said no, they want him at Spring Training practising his new position at centre field (which is a bit annoying!).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll not be staying up for it personally, but the Great Britain team start their World Baseball Classic group stage at 2 in the morning against the USA. Could be a massacre given the relative strengths of the rosters, but we'll see how it goes. I hope it's a good experience for the players at the very least.

Currently watching the Mariners against the Rockies in a Spring Training game. 2-2 in the fifth, a pretty good watch all things considered. 

16 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

I'll not be staying up for it personally, but the Great Britain team start their World Baseball Classic group stage at 2 in the morning against the USA. Could be a massacre given the relative strengths of the rosters, but we'll see how it goes. I hope it's a good experience for the players at the very least.

Currently watching the Mariners against the Rockies in a Spring Training game. 2-2 in the fifth, a pretty good watch all things considered. 

Much closer game than I expected it to be. GB actually took the lead. USA came back to lead 2-1 but then a walk and an error lead to a 3 run homer which GB couldn't come back from.

GB are a young team with most of them in the minors so should have a good future

7 hours ago, Wile E Coyote said:

Much closer game than I expected it to be. GB actually took the lead. USA came back to lead 2-1 but then a walk and an error lead to a 3 run homer which GB couldn't come back from.

GB are a young team with most of them in the minors so should have a good future

The game against Canada (on right now) has featured some of the worst pitching and defence you'll ever see, although they're still scoring plenty! Currently 16-8 on the top of the 5th which is wild.

11 hours ago, Zanetti said:

The game against Canada (on right now) has featured some of the worst pitching and defence you'll ever see, although they're still scoring plenty! Currently 16-8 on the top of the 5th which is wild.

Unfortunately the British team didn’t really do themselves any favours.  Five stolen bases is computer game baseball and won’t win you any friends. 

13 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Unfortunately the British team didn’t really do themselves any favours.  Five stolen bases is computer game baseball and won’t win you any friends. 

Tonight's game against Colombia has been a massive improvement. Currently 7-3 up in the top of the 8th; it's not quite over yet but a victory here would be very impressive!

14 minutes ago, Wile E Coyote said:

Canada beat Colombia. Good result for GB as if I am understanding the rules correctly as long as USA beat Colombia GB will finish at least 4th in the pool and so qualify automatically for the next WBC

I think that's right aye. The tiebreak rules are fairly complicated, but if it comes down to just two teams the one who beat the other is ranked higher.

Pretty impressive achievement, and you'd imagine going forward it'll encourage other eligible players to commit for GB as well.

• 2 weeks later...

The Pitch clock, it'll speed things up they said.

Hold my beer says the Red Sox pitching - two innings in an hour as the Sox seemed to do a full count on every batter in the 4th and 5th innings. I think we've seen the Baltimore batting lineup 4 times already.

8-2 to Baltimore in the middle of the 6th and the home fans have already started booing.