Major League Baseball

jimmy boo

Of all the money the Mets have spent the last couple of years, getting Nimmo signed up long term this off-season will be the best they've spent. The first proper lead off hitter since Jose Reyes first time around. Some of his plays in CF so far this season have been unreal too.

It's early days, but it looks as if it could be a fantastic race for the playoffs this year. Outside of a few teams (the A's, Royals and Rockies for example) everyone looks capable of beating everyone else on any given day.

Mariners haven't had a great start, but still hanging around just under .500. First pitch is at ten past nine our time tonight, so should get to watch at least some of the game.

16 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

It's early days, but it looks as if it could be a fantastic race for the playoffs this year. Outside of a few teams (the A's, Royals and Rockies for example) everyone looks capable of beating everyone else on any given day.

Mariners haven't had a great start, but still hanging around just under .500. First pitch is at ten past nine our time tonight, so should get to watch at least some of the game.

Seems like there’s a bit of parity throughout the league.  Not sure the traditional big spenders are that much better this year. 

Looks like the long rumoured Athletics to Las Vegas relocation is likely to happen, with the organisation having entered a binding deal to purchase land and build a new baseball stadium in the city.

The ownership there has been utterly negligent in recent years, and from what I understand the local government aren't particularly cooperative either when it comes replacing the dilapidated Oakland Coliseum.

You have to feel for anybody who's a loyal fan of the team, I hate to see this in any North American sport.

On 20/04/2023 at 10:03, Zanetti said:

Looks like the long rumoured Athletics to Las Vegas relocation is likely to happen, with the organisation having entered a binding deal to purchase land and build a new baseball stadium in the city.

The ownership there has been utterly negligent in recent years, and from what I understand the local government aren't particularly cooperative either when it comes replacing the dilapidated Oakland Coliseum.

You have to feel for anybody who's a loyal fan of the team, I hate to see this in any North American sport.

I really do feel sorry for diehard A's fans. But given that they're regularly only getting four figure crowds in Oakland, the team is unviable in that city. I'm  not sure how big a local following hey'll garner in Vegas, but they'll be a big draw for the tourist crowd. Vegas is such a big tourist destination, and having a Major League Baseball team to go and watch as another attraction while you visit will probably bring the numbers in.

2 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

I really do feel sorry for diehard A's fans. But given that they're regularly only getting four figure crowds in Oakland, the team is unviable in that city. I'm  not sure how big a local following hey'll garner in Vegas, but they'll be a big draw for the tourist crowd. Vegas is such a big tourist destination, and having a Major League Baseball team to go and watch as another attraction while you visit will probably bring the numbers in.

Yeah.  They might have stood a chance with a decent stadium, but the experience in Oakland compared with San Francisco is night and day.  And the team ownership currently has absolutely no intention of putting together a winning side.  The writing has been on the wall for a while.   

20 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Yeah.  They might have stood a chance with a decent stadium, but the experience in Oakland compared with San Francisco is night and day.  And the team ownership currently has absolutely no intention of putting together a winning side.  The writing has been on the wall for a while.   

There are rumours that the city was willing to go ahead with the new stadium and massively subsidise it, which I'm sure would've made a big difference to their attendance, but the owner wasn't willing to stump up the missing $80m or so that would've sealed the deal. For a billionaire that's obviously not much at all, especially given their tiny payroll, so if this is true I don't think he was ever interested in keeping the team in Oakland.

On another note, the AL East continues to be ridiculous with all five teams above .500 after 20 or so games. There's no way this carries on but it's still a bit wild.

Yet another 2 hit, 0 run night for the Pads. Manny and Soto are both walking outs right now. It makes you wonder what the hell the hitting staff are doing to have such a talented line-up routinely being shut-out for days on end. 

Team is collectively batting about .135 with RISP. Also have the second poorest team BA in the Majors.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Just now, Wile E Coyote said:

I love low scoring games. My favourite game ever is Game 7 of the 1991 World Series.

I was pretty tongue in cheek. It's been a pretty good game. 

Of course, as I say that, the Blue Jays score and I've just sat through ten innings to see my team lose 🤣

This has been an incredibly exciting start to the season all round. There's been so much fun baseball to watch.

I'd love to see Pittsburgh maintain this form all season; got a soft spot for the Cards, but it'd be amazing if they managed to win the NL Central.

5 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Eh... 10 Homers in this Mexico city game, and there's still an inning to play. Think this park might be a bit on the tight side.

Yeah.  I’m all for dingers, but that was ridiculous.  If you play fantasy, load up on Giants and Padres batters tonight.