Major League Baseball

jimmy boo

On 27/09/2023 at 16:54, Boo Khaki said:

He doesn't do 4 Out Saves. It has happened once or twice in his time in SD, but not recently, and it's always been known that he kicks up a stink about it.

That is insane - but somewhat symptomatic, I feel, of the Padres' season.  Must be one of the most stacked teams of all time to miss out on the playoffs.   

On 28/09/2023 at 18:37, Boo Khaki said:

Pads win their first extra-innings game of the year and are now 1-12 on the season. Formally eliminate the Giants in the process. 

No surprise at all that it was Giants that got that monkey off your back - on 20 July we beat the Reds twice in a day to move to 54-41, and then we absolutely imploded.  By my calculation, from there to the end of the season we were 25–42 which, extrapolated over the whole season, would have seen us finish above the A's but that's about it.

Our defence was absolutely laughable at times.

20 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

The 101 win Orioles are out after being swept by the Rangers. Dodgers in real danger of being swept tonight in Arizona. Got to love post season baseball.

I didn't want to tempt fate by saying it out loud, but having seen the Diamondbacks brush aside the Giants on 19/20 September I thought they were a really good outside bet.  (It is stating the bleedingly obvious, but...) Corbin Carroll is something else, and when fringe guys like Alek Thomas, Tommy Pham and even Evan Longoria (who I was sure was finished after he left the Giants left year) start heating up there is a really decent team there.  I suspect they'll run out of steam as I'm not convinced their pitching rotation has enough depth, but you never know...

Now that the Dodgers are gone I can relax.

Edited by arab_joe

4 hours ago, Zanetti said:

You have to commend the Dodgers for their committment to winning 100+ games every year since 2019 and subsequently achieving absolutely nothing in the postseason, fair play (2020's shortened season doesn't count).

Feel bad for Clayton Kershaw.  Seems such a good guy, a no doubt hall of famer, but just doesn’t produce in the post season.  

5 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Feel bad for Clayton Kershaw.  Seems such a good guy, a no doubt hall of famer, but just doesn’t produce in the post season.  

He certainly struggled (as did the rest of their pitchers) but when your two big superstars in Betts and Freeman combine for 1 hit in 21 at bats you're always going to have a tough time!

19 minutes ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

The first time in a 162 game season that all four LCS teams have 90 wins or less. 

Weird situation as a Pads fan that all season long it felt like watching a mediocre team that was totally underperforming and wouldn't make the playoffs, only for a Divisional opponent to wind up in the NLCS having won 2 more games over a 162 game span.

If anything, i think the really soft second half of September and finishing something like 13-2 flatters the Pads. They were miles off it for most of the year.

ALCS kicks off tonight, and I can't shake the feeling that Houston is going all the way again. Philly and Texas are playing well right now but the Astros just seem to have absolutely nailed the whole approach to playoff baseball. They're like the 90s Yankees.

On 15/10/2023 at 21:25, Zanetti said:

ALCS kicks off tonight, and I can't shake the feeling that Houston is going all the way again. Philly and Texas are playing well right now but the Astros just seem to have absolutely nailed the whole approach to playoff baseball. They're like the 90s Yankees.

They'll have to get their finger oot even though its still early days in the series.

Valdez ran through the whole lineup in the first giving up 5hits for four runs quickly followed by a one two three sit doon by the top of the order.

And theres another first pitch single to open the top of the second.

Long may the astros arse collapse.

11 minutes ago, Daddy Cheeze said:

They'll have to get their finger oot even though its still early days in the series.

Valdez ran through the whole lineup in the first giving up 5hits for four runs quickly followed by a one two three sit doon by the top of the order.

And theres another first pitch single to open the top of the second.

Long may the astros arse collapse.

Aye, maybe I was wrong haha. Texas could potentially just run riot here all the way to a championship. Fair play if they somehow manage it, they've spent a decent amount of money on this team but they're looking good at the right time even though they managed to throw the AL West division away.

4 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Aye, maybe I was wrong haha. Texas could potentially just run riot here all the way to a championship. Fair play if they somehow manage it, they've spent a decent amount of money on this team but they're looking good at the right time even though they managed to throw the AL West division away.

Astros Phillies WS with Astros taking the lot with a game to spare was my bet before they started yesterday.

Starting to look like I'm as good* at baseball betting as I am at fitba betting.

* Editors note : replace 'as good' with fucking useless 😆

5 minutes ago, Daddy Cheeze said:

Astros Phillies WS with Astros taking the lot with a game to spare was my bet before they started yesterday.

Starting to look like I'm as good* at baseball betting as I am at fitba betting.

* Editors note : replace 'as good' with fucking useless 😆

A rematch of last year would be a bit boring, but it's still definitely possible. I'd still fancy the same outcome as well if it came to that!

On 17/10/2023 at 07:12, Savage Henry said:

Never bet against Bruce Bochy teams in the postseason.  

Kind of wish I had now! Incredible but also not unsurprising that the Astros have now gone 3-2 up there 

Very impressed by the Dbacks too, I would love to see them somehow pull this off.

Adolis Garcia cost Texas that game IMO with his reation to the HBP. With the benches clearing and the aftermath it took 12 minutes before play was restarted.

Texas had brought in their closer, Jose Leclerc in the 8th for a 4 out save and he had to sit through all that delay. When he came back it was a single and a walk that led to the 3 run homer. Without that delay he comes back sharper IMO

On 21/10/2023 at 17:19, Wile E Coyote said:

Adolis Garcia cost Texas that game IMO with his reation to the HBP. With the benches clearing and the aftermath it took 12 minutes before play was restarted.

Texas had brought in their closer, Jose Leclerc in the 8th for a 4 out save and he had to sit through all that delay. When he came back it was a single and a walk that led to the 3 run homer. Without that delay he comes back sharper IMO

Leclerc was outstanding today - and Garcia with a grand slam was definitely some sort of poetic justice.

Cheering for any team called Rangers feels bad - especially when they're wearing blue.  But needs must - really don't want the cheating Astros winning another WS (even if they do have Mauricio Dubon on their team).

3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Padres side with Preller - Bob Melvin is the new Giants manager.   

2 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Daft. Side with the guy with no career success and move on from the one with a heap of winning seasons.

San Diego sports man 🤬

I'd absolutely love to see Ryan Flaherty get the job, as rumoured to be one of the candidates. 

The problems clearly run deeper than that though.