2018/19 Challenge Cup

algy

37 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

I'll be interested to see if they play the first XI, tbf.

With 46 league games (+playoffs), FA Cup (+replays), FA Trophy (+replays) and a county cup each these are potentially 5 more games onto a heavy schedule.

I hadn't really considered the prospect of them not doing. Why would you accept the invitation if not? I realise the Scottish sides have no choice so you get United playing a youth team, Inverness and Dunfermline making 10 or 11 changes, etc (even we made 5 changes and we traditionally do take it seriously). But if Sutton don't want to take it seriously why enter it at all? They aren't forced to do so.

16 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I hadn't really considered the prospect of them not doing. Why would you accept the invitation if not? I realise the Scottish sides have no choice so you get United playing a youth team, Inverness and Dunfermline making 10 or 11 changes, etc (even we made 5 changes and we traditionally do take it seriously). But if Sutton don't want to take it seriously why enter it at all? They aren't forced to do so.

I would be very surprised if Sutton played a weakened side in our away games.

In allowing clubs outwith Scotland to compete in this tournament,  imo it should have been conditional on the Irish, Welsh and English clubs that they forego home advantage or arrange a Scottish venue for matches to be played.  The grant  given to clubs will barely cover the expense, in some cases it wont, leading to hardship for Scottish clubs who are hardly in a position to absorb these additional costs. 

Why wouldn't the £7k sum granted to a club travelling to Ireland be sufficient to cover additional expenses on top of what a club would be expected to cover themselves for an ordinary away match at Elgin, Berwick etc.? They're hardly likely to have plucked that figure from thin air. And to date there is not one scrap of evidence to show that any club has faced 'hardship' as a result of travelling beyond the borders of a small island group for one game in a blue moon. 

Edited by vikingTON

Why wouldn't the £7k sum granted to a club travelling to Ireland be sufficient to cover additional expenses on top of what a club would be expected to cover themselves for an ordinary away match at Elgin, Berwick etc.? They're hardly likely to have plucked that figure from thin air. And to date there is not one scrap of evidence to show that any club has faced 'hardship' as a result of travelling beyond the borders of a small island group for one game in a blue moon. 

What about the part time players that have to take additional time off work to play abroad? They are not compensated.

What about them? The club to which they're contracted isn't compensating them either. So the only apparent hardship here involves 'plumbers and office workers having to take a three day weekend instead of two due to the once in a blue moon demands of a relatively lucrative second job that they signed up for'. Which is not a credible definition of 'hardship' at all.

Edited by vikingTON

3 hours ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

What is the general feeling to being included in this competition. A distraction or a welcome change of teams to play?

There are a few fans who think it will be a distraction, I think the majority see it as once in a lifetime chance to play Scottish sides in competitive games. 

I will be going to the Airdrie game

What about the part time players that have to take additional time off work to play abroad? They are not compensated.

Don’t play then and give his position to one of the youths.

If I was a player I would enjoy the weekend away and something different!

I just don’t get the travel argument at all tbh. We live in a relatively small country with decent enough travel infrastructure.

Fans/teams in other countries make far longer journeys than what we’re talking about here. And these games are relatively one-offs.

The only valid concern for me is whether the grant covers a stay in London which is presumably going to be far more expensive than a usual away trip and I’m not sure you can really expect a small Scottish club to plan for that/cover the cost.

18 minutes ago, BIGdavieT said:

The only valid concern for me is whether the grant covers a stay in London which is presumably going to be far more expensive than a usual away trip and I’m not sure you can really expect a small Scottish club to plan for that/cover the cost.

I got a spare room. Pretty sure I can fit the Airdrie back four in there for £50. They'll need to bring their ain sleeping bags.

3 hours ago, BIGdavieT said:

They wouldn't have to stay in London.  Even if they wanted to do an overnighter, they could stay somewhere an hour or so outside of London.

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

They wouldn't have to stay in London.  Even if they wanted to do an overnighter, they could stay somewhere an hour or so outside of London.

Even London doesn’t have to be that expensive if you shop around. Stayed at the Travelodge in Richmond when I was down with my son recently and it was about £80 for a twin room, not that much more expensive than the Travelodge in Dumfries.

Even London doesn’t have to be that expensive if you shop around. Stayed at the Travelodge in Richmond when I was down with my son recently and it was about £80 for a twin room, not that much more expensive than the Travelodge in Dumfries.

Bet the Pars can’t wait. It’ll be just like a low budget stag doo.