Motherwell vs Celtic V - Scottish Cup Final

MP_MFC

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I don't think you can say Celtic have a weak link in their team, Boyata is the one, for me, that Main & Bowman can have a good go at.  Ajer looks to be getting better and better as each week goes by.  I think he'll go on to be a top class centre half. 

1 hour ago, Desp said:

While I don't think you can say Celtic have a weak link in their team, Boyata is the one, for me, that Main & Bowman can have a good go at.  Ajer looks to be getting better and better as each week goes by.  I think he'll go on to be a top class centre half. 

Just signed a new four year deal.  If he continues progressing the way he is, we'll be lucky to have him for two of the four years.

Tom Boyd, Andy Walker, Scott McDonald (I've not forgotten all the badge kissing) = yes
Phil O'Donnell & Paul Lambert were fine as far as I'm concerned - and Pearson redeemed himself pretty much...
So it's very much down to the w**k in question..

Brian McClair = good guy. Even when he went to Celtic.

I toyed with the idea of getting a ticket for this one, but it would be total glory hunting.

I was there when Motherwell last won the cup in ‘91. A repeat of the 4-3 would be excellent but I’d take a 1-0 win for the ‘well.

On 14/05/2018 at 21:19, Desp said:

From what I've seen of him, Boyata is prone to some lapses in concentration but when on his game is pretty solid. Ajer looks an excellent defender and with Craig Gordon behind them they have a formidable backline. If we are to get any joy against them we will need the likes of Tait and Cadden to provide support and delivery as much as possible to the frontline and we will need a fair bit of  'aggression' in our attack too.

For us to win on Saturday we need to play the game of our lives as a team and hope for a rub of the green which hasn't come our way in games against Celtic so far this season. We also need Celtic to be complacent and not perform in the day. The problem there is that Celtic under Rodgers don't get complacent, especially in big games such as these and with so much at stake for them then the task for us us mammoth.

It genuinely would be a minor miracle for us to beat Celtic and win the Cup, but do you know what? I'd give this Motherwell team more chance of beating this Celtic side than I gave the 2011 Motherwell team,  which was arguably better man for man, of beating the 2011 Celtic team which was almost certainly weaker than their current side. This Motherwell team has bottle whereas the 2011 side had none, so....who knows?

Since February Celtic have only won 48% of their league games, and failed to score in half of them. I'm not sure it's right to say they don't get complacent. In fact it's a while since I've seen a more complacent approach to a match than when they got dicked by Hearts. I appreciate that the Scottish Cup Final is very different to a league game. but it shows that it's in there.

Obviously on their game they are streets ahead of where we'll ever be, but the absolute bodying of Rangers aside (cos let's face it we've all done that a few times), they haven't been on their game for quite a while.

I've just got a wee feeling......

Robinson confirmed on the radio last night that his only real selection headaches are who goes on the bench.  I assume Andy Rose isn't fit for this?

I'd be amazed if the starting XI wasn't as follows;

Carson

Kipré  Aldred  Dunne

Cadden Campbell Grimshaw McHugh Tait

Main Bowman

My guess at the subs?   Griffiths, Maguire, Hendrie, Bigirimana, Turnbull, Frear, Petravicius.  

If Rose can make the bench, stick him in for Hendrie.

5 minutes ago, Al B said:

Since February Celtic have only won 48% of their league games, and failed to score in half of them. I'm not sure it's right to say they don't get complacent. In fact it's a while since I've seen a more complacent approach to a match than when they got dicked by Hearts. I appreciate that the Scottish Cup Final is very different to a league game. but it shows that it's in there.

Obviously on their game they are streets ahead of where we'll ever be, but the absolute bodying of Rangers aside (cos let's face it we've all done that a few times), they haven't been on their game for quite a while.

It's obvious that Celtic have been no-where near the level that they were at last season and haven't been scoring 4 and 5 goals every week - it seems that they have been coasting and are still capable of raising their game beyond everyone else in league when they feel they have to - and that is where my main concern lies.  The wee feeling is still there though :)

Robinson confirmed on the radio last night that his only real selection headaches are who goes on the bench.  I assume Andy Rose isn't fit for this?
I'd be amazed if the starting XI wasn't as follows;
                                       Carson
                         Kipré  Aldred  Dunne
Cadden Campbell Grimshaw McHugh Tait
                               Main Bowman
My guess at the subs?   Griffiths, Maguire, Hendrie, Bigirimana, Turnbull, Frear, Petravicius.  
If Rose can make the bench, stick him in for Hendrie.

Andy Rose has an interview with Scott Mullen in this morning’s papers saying he is ready to start on Saturday if required.

I very much doubt he’ll start due to lack of game time but I expect Rose to be on the bench if he’s anywhere near fit.

The nerves are really starting to kick in for this now.

It will be a monumental task for the team but I’m starting to believe that we can do something special on Saturday.

The mentality of our team and manager is spot on and regardless of the result we’ll give it everything.

Please bring that glorious trophy back to Lanarkshire boys.

47 minutes ago, dezz said:

I very much doubt he’ll start due to lack of game time but I expect Rose to be on the bench if he’s anywhere near fit

It would exceptionally harsh on Grimshaw, who's been on great form since the semi-final, to miss out. The midfield of Campbell, Grimshaw and Rose was one of the main reasons we won that semi but given that McHugh will be a stick-on to start,, one will miss out and I'd assume that it would be Rose (as it's easier to justify)

25 minutes ago, MikeyWellFan said:

The nerves are really starting to kick in for this now.

It will be a monumental task for the team but I’m starting to believe that we can do something special on Saturday.

The mentality of our team and manager is spot on and regardless of the result we’ll give it everything.

Please bring that glorious trophy back to Lanarkshire boys.

The approach and soundbites coming out of Fir Park from both manager and the playing squad are so refreshing and a million miles away from McCall and his whimpering away our chances a week before our last SCF. We are clear 2nd favourites here, but there is a belief and confidence coming from Stephen Robinson and his players and it is positively infectious.

All we can do here is go out there and give everything we've got, play to our strengths and hope that on the day we are good enough to take advantage of any fortune that comes our way and exploit any weaknesses that Celtic may have in the day. We can't worry about Celtic here. We know they are a smashing side but our focus needs to be on ourselves.

COYW

It would exceptionally harsh on Grimshaw, who's been on great form since the semi-final, to miss out. The midfield of Campbell, Grimshaw and Rose was one of the main reasons we won that semi but given that McHugh will be a stick-on to start,, one will miss out and I'd assume that it would be Rose (as it's easier to justify)

Absolutely, I’m not advocating for Rose to start ahead of Grimshaw who has been excellent in recent weeks.

Rose is definitely a good option for the bench though if we need some more height and legs in midfield because the 3 in there are going to have to do a power of work if we want a result.

3 hours ago, Al B said:

3 hours ago, Swello said:

The wee feeling is still there though :)

Get down the clinic and get some antibiotics/penicillin for it.

Archived