England's Glorious Failure

5 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

They reached the semis in 90 by drawing with Ireland and the Netherlands, narrowly beating Egypt, then scraping past Belgium in the 120th minute before winning two decisive penalties against Cameroon.

It's how it works and it could very readily happen again.  

This isn't a great England side, but it's a decent one and it might go a long way this time.

Platts goal was offside.  Nobody ever mentions that.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Platts goal was offside.  Nobody ever mentions that.

Had a wee look on youtube and I came to two conclusions. 1. the reason nobody talks about that is very simple. Never offside. And 2. You're trolling sir, and I bit.

Tony Adams is this morning discussing the last 8 as 'once we get through Colombia or Senegal, we'll hit the harder teams'. 

I'm guessing Tony hasn't watched Colombia. I'm quite confident they'll pick that shaky England defence apart. 

A narrow win and a comfortable win over two of the weakest teams in the competition and suddenly England are petitioning FIFA to have their name engraved* on the trophy before the 2nd round has even been played. The absolute certainty that they're the best in the world, and that every World Cup since 1966 has been but an aberration, is never far from the surface.

I do not know whether the World Cup trophy actually gets the countries' names engraved in it.

44 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

The frenzied excitement of 'The Joormans' going out is fucking toecurling. They genuinely think this has opened up for them to stroll it. 

Tbf, it might have done. They come second in the group, and potentially have Senegal. In the Quarters they'd be against either Switzerland or Sweden, which is where Germany would've come into things. 

That's a pretty simple route to reach a Semi-Final. 

Win the group, though, and it's Brazil who'll meet them in the Quarters. 

If teams are going out and actually trying not to win in order to secure a more favourable draw, something is wrong with the tournament setup. Why not just draw the 2nd round at random?

Front page of the Metro in London is "OUT" with each letter the colour of the German flag. Front page.
As our European neighbours and friends I'm stunned that the English appear to be gloating about their exit from the tournament.

13 minutes ago, nsr said:

If teams are going out and actually trying not to win in order to secure a more favourable draw, something is wrong with the tournament setup. Why not just draw the 2nd round at random?

Belgium to go 1-0 up early on, toy with England all match before scoring an own goal last minute to put England in the hard half of the group 

21 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

Front page of the Metro in London is "OUT" with each letter the colour of the German flag. Front page.
As our European neighbours and friends I'm stunned that the English appear to be gloating about their exit from the tournament.

Remember that the next time you hear someone go on about how pathetic it is that we like to see England lose.

27 minutes ago, nsr said:

The set up works fine IMO. It's really down to the big teams being spunk more than anything I think.  This WC has been an anomaly in the grand scheme of all WCs. 

Archived