England's Glorious Failure

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, forameus said:

Public screening of the semi final in Hyde Park just announced.  I can see such a large public gathering on a hot summer's evening only going super well.

Are the Croatian Ultras allowed in?

41 minutes ago, forameus said:

Public screening of the semi final in Hyde Park just announced.  I can see such a large public gathering on a hot summer's evening only going super well.

Looking forward to the riots.

They've shat out going to Russia so they can kick f**k out each other.

Do you also wish Celtic, Hibs and ROI equally well? Because that list you’ve provided is little more than a who’s who of the ‘Rangers family’.

Hell yeah, if the Hoops and their support ever embrace themselves as a British Football club, I’m all in! [emoji6]whistle
I can appreciate the comparison however. If England do get to the WC Final, their route to Moscow will have been almost as easy as Celt*c’s EC run to reach Lisbon in 67.

10 hours ago, Ned Nederlander said:

This might've been shared already:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1811091222261027&id=968142616555896

What a load of absolute tosh - when I was a No voter I was just as happy for England to get papped out - it's got nothing to do with politics. All those folk claiming they've always wanted England to do well are absolute and total fantasists bordering on being pure fucking liars - it's a sporting rivalry, those c'nts will have cheered every English exit from a tournament just as much as I have.

The utter cringe of it all.

It's no coming home it's coming to England ... an entirely different country the one you were born in ya slabbering fuds.

I hate it when they bring politics into it. To just use the various people at my work as an example. Pretty much no-one wants England to win it and I know Tories & other people who'd always vote against independence who are all out ABE, while I know active SNP members who are rooting for England...

If England do get to the WC Final, their route to Moscow will have been almost as easy as Celt*c’s EC run to reach Lisbon in 67.

Could either team have made that route more difficult or is it the luck of the draw and more fancied teams being out of form? [emoji38]

Slightly off topic but are any P&Bers old enough (or knowledgeable enough in football history) to remember how the 1966 England team were regarded, on the world stage, prior to winning the thing? Brazil were Brazil, West Germany had Beckenbauer & Seeler, Spain had Gento and Portugal Eusebio. The Soviets and Italians were also regarded as tough sides but were the hosts considered serious contenders? 

For the folk who are not supporting England, but live there :

What is the reaction from most people if they ask you if you are supporting them? 

Have you been bold enough to cheer on the opposition in a pub surrounded by Guvnors?

Anyone mad enough to have had e.g a Colombia, Sweden top etc on the day of the match?

I did say that they would comfortably beat Sweden and that Sweden were the worst team in the QFs. I got some pushback for that here but it turned out to be correct.

England's players almost entirely play at a signficantly higher level than Sweden's players and the Swedes had no pace at all in their side. It wasn't a surprise that was so comfortable.

Think Croatia are the better side and will knock them out but they do have the disadvantage of being shattered after two grueling games that went to extra time.

Middleborough council have just cancelled theirs. Go fund me pages set-up to compensate the damage done by fannies on Saturday.

I did say that they would comfortably beat Sweden and that Sweden were the worst team in the QFs. I got some pushback for that here but it turned out to be correct.
England's players almost entirely play at a signficantly higher level than Sweden's players and the Swedes had no pace at all in their side. It wasn't a surprise that was so comfortable.
Think Croatia are the better side and will knock them out but they do have the disadvantage of being shattered after two grueling games that went to extra time.

England also had extra time against Colombia and they played in very hot conditions v Sweden so I don’t think fatigue is a factor

I have to laugh when I read some of the articles circulating now about how Scots should support England as all of England would be supporting Scotland if the roles were reversed. There is absolutely no chance the English would en masse support Scotland if the roles were reversed, just no way.

I'm not "ABE" at all, but people should just support who they want. It's patronising rubbish to tell people who they should (or shouldn't) support.

1 hour ago, Marten said:

I have to laugh when I read some of the articles circulating now about how Scots should support England as all of England would be supporting Scotland if the roles were reversed. There is absolutely no chance the English would en masse support Scotland if the roles were reversed, just no way.

I'm not "ABE" at all, but people should just support who they want. It's patronising rubbish to tell people who they should (or shouldn't) support.

Why is anyone supporting anyone, if they aren't from that country, or have a connection to it. Can't it be possible to just watch the game?

Archived