England's Glorious Failure

4 hours ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

No. But I would for Ghana or Cameroon. Or Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland at a World Cup.

Not the Republic of Ireland though. Never them. Ever.

That's so much worse. Ireland aren't your rivals. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, RedRob72 said:

Club rivalry and domestic competition is an entirely different question and the ‘Home Nations’ of the UK is also pretty unique with regards to International football. European Club competition also poses a different proposition for British Clubs. Whether its Wales, Chelsea, Northern Ireland, Hearts, England or Linfield, yep I wish them well. What’s wrong with that? Again I hope England win on Wednesday but I won’t lose any sleep if they don’t.

I wonder why... 

I'd rather they'd mention 1966 than 2018. 

There are articles saying they haven’t got out of 2nd gear yet, that the world is shocked about their quality blah blah blah. Don’t forget Kane earns 200K a week!!!! That is over £10 million/year basic and he can take penalty kicks. If someone offered me £100 thousand a year, I would spend all day every day practicing penalties.
Come on Croatia/Belgium/France

10 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

There are articles saying they haven’t got out of 2nd gear yet, that the world is shocked about their quality blah blah blah. Don’t forget Kane earns 200K a week!!!! That is over £10 million/year basic and he can take penalty kicks. If someone offered me £100 thousand a year, I would spend all day every day practicing penalties.
Come on Croatia/Belgium/France

Gearbox seizure is long overdue.

There are plenty of mechanics on this forum - sort it please!!

7 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Although I'll admit that I don't want England to do well, the biggest problem for me at the moment is that virtually nobody in the media is admitting that they've really achieved little to date and that they've also been extremely fortunate.

Listening to them you would think that this team had already achieved the impossible and taken the whole tournament by storm when in fact the truth is of course far different.

So far they've played 2 pub teams in the group stages and recorded one facile victory but only scraped a win in injury time against the other. I'll let them off with the Belgium defeat as both teams played their 2nd strings.

Moving on to Colombia, they basically overcame a team who were no better than decent but who were also missing their undisputed best player and again they failed in both normal and Extra time to dispatch them and in fact were odds on to go out when Henderson missed his penalty (I guess the biometric testing didn't work for him), fair enough they got through but again they were ultimately very fortunate.

Sweden were undoubtedly the weakest team remaining in the tournament and in all fairness England did dispatch them quite easily, however I remain to be in any way convinced that this team are anything other than  ordinary and on paper it would have been a major shock if they HADN'T got as far as they have..................

So you think it would have been a shock if a very ordinary team had not made the semi-final?

Your'e going to have to explain that to me mate, as you seem to be hedging your bets. They should make the semi final therefore I am giving them no credit for that, but they are still 'ordinary'.  With all due respect, the 'ordinary' teams are all now back at home, along with some very good teams. 'Ordinary' teams do not get to world cup semi finals very often.

8 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Although I'll admit that I don't want England to do well, the biggest problem for me at the moment is that virtually nobody in the media is admitting that they've really achieved little to date and that they've also been extremely fortunate.

Listening to them you would think that this team had already achieved the impossible and taken the whole tournament by storm when in fact the truth is of course far different.

So far they've played 2 pub teams in the group stages and recorded one facile victory but only scraped a win in injury time against the other. I'll let them off with the Belgium defeat as both teams played their 2nd strings.

Moving on to Colombia, they basically overcame a team who were no better than decent but who were also missing their undisputed best player and again they failed in both normal and Extra time to dispatch them and in fact were odds on to go out when Henderson missed his penalty (I guess the biometric testing didn't work for him), fair enough they got through but again they were ultimately very fortunate.

Sweden were undoubtedly the weakest team remaining in the tournament and in all fairness England did dispatch them quite easily, however I remain to be in any way convinced that this team are anything other than  ordinary and on paper it would have been a major shock if they HADN'T got as far as they have..................

What does that say about the teams that didn’t qualify 

Archived