England's Glorious Failure

2 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
8 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:
more than we already are.
I don't know what you youngsters are getting your knickers in a twist about - if these f*****s actually win it, it will be the SECOND time in my lifetime that this catastrophe has occurred. Consider that.

I missed that catastrophe by a year.

I was 13. Ruined my teenagehood...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It reminds me of when Falkirk got to the Scottish Cup final against Inverness, playing no top flight sides until the final.  Every diddy team longs for an opportunity like that and once a lifetime it might just come along.

I think England will win it at least once in my lifetime, so I'm trying my best to make peace with the fact now.

I do wonder if England did win the World Cup, would it suddenly kick Scotland right up the arse?

As in, as a country, can't even celebrate England getting knocked out now so we've got nothing anymore. Maybe it's time we stopped hiding behind excuses and accepting failure.

So often in the last few years we've seen examples of international teams massively over-achieving simply by being organised, committed, and getting results when it matters.

... though admittedly this could well be the greatest piece of clutching at straws of modern times.

It reminds me of when Falkirk got to the Scottish Cup final against Inverness, playing no top flight sides until the final.  Every diddy team longs for an opportunity like that and once a lifetime it might just come along.
I think England will win it at least once in my lifetime, so I'm trying my best to make peace with the fact now.

I have got to that acceptance stage of grief now as well.

3 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

more than we already are.

I don't know what you youngsters are getting your knickers in a twist about - if these f*****s actually win it, it will be the SECOND time in my lifetime that this catastrophe has occurred. Consider that.

Aye but please govern us though eh.  They're your big team.

There's an awful lot of arguments in here about what is a simple, immutable truth. I fucking hate the English. Get them to f**k.

Aw c’mon be fair, I thought it was pretty decent of the England fans today, to ensure we were represented, with a number of their banners incorporating the Union Flag.[emoji6]

38 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

Aw c’mon be fair, I thought it was pretty decent of the England fans today, to ensure we were represented, with a number of their banners incorporating the Union Flag.emoji6.png

This post is in no way a response to the post it quoted.

12 hours ago, Blootoon87 said:

I've never wanted anything more in my life than for England to get put out today. Yes, I'm an incredibly petty and bitter man.

I suspect you need to fill your time more fruitfully, so you have more in your life than hoping your neighbouring nation lose a football match. There is a whole wide world out there. Go for a walk, climb a hill, have a BBQ, spend time with loved ones and stop beating yourself up because a football team from a country near to you didn't lose a football match.

Life really is far too short to waste this much angst and negativity on something you have no control over anyway.

This post is in no way a response to the post it quoted.

Guess what I meant is, that it was good to get behind one of the Home Nations that’s all. That a number of Union flags were depicted on banners amongst the English support was a reminder of that.[emoji6]

17 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

Guess what I meant is, that it was good to get behind one of the Home Nations that’s all. That a number of Union flags were depicted on banners amongst the English support was a reminder of that.emoji6.png

Not my home.  I don't feel any more affinity for England than the republic of Ireland or France or Denmark.

Not my home.  I don't feel any more affinity for England than the republic of Ireland or France or Denmark.

France, Denmark and the ROI aren’t part of the same family of Nations as us though Pep, you know where I’m coming from. It just feels right to offer a wee bit of support to the other British teams, when we aren’t represented. I’d feel the same if it was just Wales or Northern Ireland playing in Russia.

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

I do wonder if England did win the World Cup, would it suddenly kick Scotland right up the arse?

As in, as a country, can't even celebrate England getting knocked out now so we've got nothing anymore. Maybe it's time we stopped hiding behind excuses and accepting failure.

So often in the last few years we've seen examples of international teams massively over-achieving simply by being organised, committed, and getting results when it matters.

... though admittedly this could well be the greatest piece of clutching at straws of modern times.

It worked last time, in fairness. 1967 was the best year in the history of Scottish football. 

Off to bet all my money on Celtic winning the European Cup, Rangers making a European final, Kilmarnock making a Semi-Final and Dundee United beating Barcelona (twice) and Juventus. And Clyde finishing third in the top flight...

Archived