England's Glorious Failure

24 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

I don’t think it’s a case of actively supporting England, why would we? but I don’t see any harm in wishing them well.
There’s a number of uncomfortable truths in that article though, despite the writers obvious intentions.

There really isn't. 

If you go to either extreme of the ABE crowd (who'll almost certainly be nationalists) or the Scots actively supporting England crowd (who'll almost certainly be unionist Rangers fans), then of course both sets are an utter embarrassment driven by a strange inferiority complex. They're nothing like the vast majority of Scots, whether they support England, don't support them or just don't give a shit. It's a point so obvious, it's barely worth making.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You're putting a lot of time into it considering it doesn't bother you.  
Thats because the side of this arguement which only rears its head every couple of years and defies all conventional football fan wisdom needs constant effort in its attempts to come across as credible. On the other hand, for actual normal football fans, wishing ill fortune on their close rivals comes easily and naturally.

Is it wee man syndrome to want to see Celtic and Rangers pumped?
Nah. Wee man syndrome is feeling like you need to support the football team of a neighbouring country for no other reason than that they're a neighbouring country. That's just sad. And Scotland is the only place in the world where this is a matter of debate.

Probably. I don’t care if Celtic and Sevco win, lose or draw. I maybe smile on occasion when they get pumped and get to taste what it’s like to be a diddy team.

I also smile on occasion when Dunfermline lose to some fishermen or Stranraer or the likes. That’s about as near as I can get to the ABE mindset. If Dunfermline were ever to win something it wouldn’t put me up or down unless they had beaten Rovers to win it.

You and Bairnardo seem to see people wishing England well, or at least not actively hoping they lose, as supporting England. Personally, I’m not sitting here in an England top, but I’ll be happy enough for the English folk I know if the win. Only time this wouldn’t be the case is if they were playing Scotland.

Why is that sad? Try and expand on your explanation of what makes this sad.

24 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

You seem to have some sort of issue with people not actively hating their bigger neighbour and hoping they lose every game.

Wee man syndrome. Buy yourself some platform shoes and get over it.

I haven't seen one post by Bairnardo suggesting that. I think you'd like that to be the case, but it isn't.

Probably. I don’t care if Celtic and Sevco win, lose or draw. I maybe smile on occasion when they get pumped and get to taste what it’s like to be a diddy team.

I also smile on occasion when Dunfermline lose to some fishermen or Stranraer or the likes. That’s about as near as I can get to the ABE mindset. If Dunfermline were ever to win something it wouldn’t put me up or down unless they had beaten Rovers to win it.

You and Bairnardo seem to see people wishing England well, or at least not actively hoping they lose, as supporting England. Personally, I’m not sitting here in an England top, but I’ll be happy enough for the English folk I know if the win. Only time this wouldn’t be the case is if they were playing Scotland.

By all means point out where I have suggested that anyone wishing England well is sad, whilst I repeat once again in the hope that it takes hold this time, that what I have issue with is being told I should support another football team purely on the basis that the one I support is not playing, by people totally unable to provide any reasonable justification for why I should take this step. A step which for me as a supporter of Falkirk and Scotland, is utterly confusing and bizarre.

26 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Is it wee man syndrome to want to see Celtic and Rangers pumped?

Nah. Wee man syndrome is feeling like you need to support the football team of a neighbouring country for no other reason than that they're a neighbouring country. That's just sad. And Scotland is the only place in the world where this is a matter of debate.

I really don't care whether Scots support us or not, but the part in bold isn't true.

By all means point out where I have suggested that anyone wishing England well is sad, whilst I repeat once again in the hope that it takes hold this time, that what I have issue with is being told I should support another football team purely on the basis that the one I support is not playing, by people totally unable to provide any reasonable justification for why I should take this step. A step which for me as a supporter of Falkirk and Scotland, is utterly confusing and bizarre.

The post I responded to mentioned it was sad. Nobody is telling you what to do wee man.

You're putting a lot of time into it considering it doesn't bother you.  

To be fair, I started it as some sort of shitty trolling. I’d like to just bow out now. I’m on holiday in Dorset at the moment.

33 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

You've put two things together that I didn't. I could explain it but I can't be arsed being drawn into internet twattery. 

4 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

To be fair, I started it as some sort of shitty trolling. I’d like to just bow out now. I’m on holiday in Dorset at the moment.

I'm in Cornwall. I don't know why you felt the need to tell us you were in Dorset, but in case it's a thing I'll join in too.

1 minute ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

So why are you offended at some people not cheering for local rivals when you won't cheer for Sunderland (or Ireland)? 

I'm not:

50 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

I really don't care whether Scots support us or not

The ABE thing doesn't bother me in the slightest (my wife is Irish and would probably support the Third Reich if they were playing England at rugby). I happily support anyone playing Celtic, Rangers, Chelsea and Ireland. It was just that someone else said that Scotland was the only place in the World where people would even consider supporting their neighbours. I was pointing out that that isn't the case. 

11 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

It was just that someone else said that Scotland was the only place in the World where people would even consider supporting their neighbours. I was pointing out that that isn't the case. 

I think it was more that it causes so much debate here, more than other places. Not that we're the only place that does or doesn't support it's neighbours.

It seems to be different in different parts of the world. African and South American countries do seem to support each other against opposition from outside those continents, although Chile seem to be exceptions in South America for some reason.

In Europe, not supporting your neighbours seems to be a lot more common.`I work with an Austrian who actively wanted Germany and Switzerland to lose. I've seen comments from Dutch people that they'd hate Belgium to win it. Maybe they do have big debates about whether they should or shouldn't support their neighbours, I don't know. But you can bet it's not as closely tied to politics as it is here.

Only a family of nations to a British nationalist.  They're not my family any more than Iceland and Norway or the EU.  You wouldn't support the republic of Ireland would you?   Cause you're a British nationalist/bigot.
Even friends of mine who are unionists don't buy into the "must support England" shite.

In fact some get really annoyed that for the national media England=UK/GBNI

For example, England using GSTQ as their anthem when they really should have an England-only anthem.

Or any use of the word nation when they mean England not UK.

Using the word "home" when they mean England not the UK.

Our "national" broadcasters are not that but cheerleaders for one part of that nation even from a unionist perspective.

Archived