England's Glorious Failure

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Roker Rover said:

So you think it would have been a shock if a very ordinary team had not made the semi-final?

Your'e going to have to explain that to me mate, as you seem to be hedging your bets. They should make the semi final therefore I am giving them no credit for that, but they are still 'ordinary'.  With all due respect, the 'ordinary' teams are all now back at home, along with some very good teams. 'Ordinary' teams do not get to world cup semi finals very often.

Sweden, Bulgaria, Turkey, South Korea, Croatia, Poland, Belgium ('86)... aye, they do.

The remarkable thing is why have England not been in more semi-finals? England are one of the big 7 footballing nations, but their record at the business end of tournaments is distinctly average.

• Germany 13 World Cup semi finals +9 Euro semi finals
  • Brazil 11
  • Italy 8+5
  • Argentina 5
  • France 5+5
  • Netherlands 5+5
  • Uruguay 5
  • Portugal 2+5
  • Spain 2+4
  • Sweden 4+1
  • England 3+2
  • Denmark 0+3
  • Hungary 2+2
  • Belgium 2+2
  • Austria 2

So England move up to half as many semi finals as the Netherlands, a country that was rubbish at football until the 1960s. Why have they achieved so little in comparison with their peers?

44 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Sweden, Bulgaria, Turkey, South Korea, Croatia, Poland, Belgium ('86)... aye, they do.

The remarkable thing is why have England not been in more semi-finals? England are one of the big 7 footballing nations, but their record at the business end of tournaments is distinctly average.

• Brazil 11
  • Italy 8+5
  • Argentina 5
  • France 5+5
  • Netherlands 5+5
  • Uruguay 5
  • Portugal 2+5
  • Spain 2+4
  • Sweden 4+1
  • England 3+2
  • Denmark 0+3
  • Hungary 2+2
  • Belgium 2+2
  • Austria 2

So England move up to half as many semi finals as the Netherlands, a country that was rubbish at football until the 1960s. Why have they achieved so little in comparison with their peers?

England and Scotland have been, historically, absolute bottle-merchant underachievers.

5 hours ago, GordonS said:

And this was only after a quarter final against Sweden.

Let's be honest, England has a far higher proportion of total dickheads than any country in Western Europe. 

i must admit during my time in the army during the  90s most of the English  Privates , L/Corporal, Corporals and higher ranking  ones  were beer drinking dickheads, the ones from Merseyside and Newcastle area  had some of the biggest twats you will  ever meet, the ones from south west were the  easiest to get along with and a few from Carlisle

2 minutes ago, gruppenfuhrer said:

dickheads, the ones from Merseyside and Newcastle area  had some of the biggest twats you will  ever meet

We’re on the same wavelength brother 

• Brazil 11
  • Italy 8+5
  • Argentina 5
  • France 5+5
  • Netherlands 5+5
  • Uruguay 5
  • Portugal 2+5
  • Spain 2+4
  • Sweden 4+1
  • England 3+2
  • Denmark 0+3
  • Hungary 2+2
  • Belgium 2+2
  • Austria 2

A fair summary given the huge resources available to them, it is a woeful record, especially if you consider that England failed to qualify for 3/6 WCF tournaments in the space of just 20 years (74-94).

On 06/07/2018 at 14:46, welshbairn said:

Snap more or less. The last time they had a team I didn't hope were pumped out in the qualifiers was when Bobby Robson was manager.

i will admit Sir  Bobby Robson was  / is one of the few English  managers that was likeable, and going by what i  heard of him in the mid 90's he would have a chat  give time  with anybody.

7 hours ago, GordonS said:

• Brazil 11
  • Italy 8+5
  • Argentina 5
  • France 5+5
  • Netherlands 5+5
  • Uruguay 5
  • Portugal 2+5
  • Spain 2+4
  • Sweden 4+1
  • England 3+2 *
  • Denmark 0+3
  • Hungary 2+2
  • Belgium 2+2
  • Austria 2

* I trust that includes the 1968 Nations' Cup semi=final when Yugoslavia shot to the top of my favourite teams' table by defeating them?

There’s certainly a difference between not wanting your rivals to win to having a full blown heads gone if they do win.

Isn’t there a happy medium where you can support Colombia/Sweden/Croatia or whoever else they’re playing without turning into a seething ABE mess?

19 minutes ago, Lex said:

There’s certainly a difference between not wanting your rivals to win to having a full blown heads gone if they do win.

Isn’t there a happy medium where you can support Colombia/Sweden/Croatia or whoever else they’re playing without turning into a seething ABE mess?

Yes Lex, there is.

Glad we could solve this one together.

It's like Wimbledon 2013 when all the seeds in one of the quarters of the draw were all out by the 3rd round and you had two Polish jobbers in the quarter final playing against each other and Jerzy Janowicz made it through to the SF against Andy Murray.  These things can happen in bracket draws.

This might've been shared already:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1811091222261027&id=968142616555896

What a load of absolute tosh - when I was a No voter I was just as happy for England to get papped out - it's got nothing to do with politics. All those folk claiming they've always wanted England to do well are absolute and total fantasists bordering on being pure fucking liars - it's a sporting rivalry, those c'nts will have cheered every English exit from a tournament just as much as I have.

The utter cringe of it all.

It's no coming home it's coming to England ... an entirely different country the one you were born in ya slabbering fuds.

Anyone who brings the referendum or any kind of politics into this is a raging VL anyway.  

I don't mind England doing well due to having an English dad, and due to what they're doing having absolutely zero impact on Scotland.  I accept I'll be in the minority, and that most will want them papped out the earliest opportunity, which is fine.  The ones going out of their way to show how right-on they are in supporting our neh-burs, or the ones that think anything other than an Englishman's head on a spike is treason can f**k off.

22 hours ago, RedRob72 said:

Club rivalry and domestic competition is an entirely different question and the ‘Home Nations’ of the UK is also pretty unique with regards to International football. European Club competition also poses a different proposition for British Clubs. Whether its Wales, Chelsea, Northern Ireland, Hearts, England or Linfield, yep I wish them well. What’s wrong with that? Again I hope England win on Wednesday but I won’t lose any sleep if they don’t.

Do you also wish Celtic, Hibs and ROI equally well? Because that list you’ve provided is little more than a who’s who of the ‘Rangers family’.

I was in Paisley a few weeks back staying at a friend's for the weekend. 

I noticed the chap next door had an England top on. 

I said to my friend 'Is he English!? He doesn't sound it'.

She said 'No, some people up here support England and we sell England stuff in the supermarkets...'

I now know why you hate us. I can only apologise on behalf of ENG-ER-LAND. 

Archived