England's Glorious Failure

A lot of folk in this thread have said that.
It's not only wrong, it's stupid. A single example is the deeper role he took up in the second half on Tuesday. He's a much harder worker and more versatile player than Kris Boyd. Plus he's actually done something for his country and has scored in big games (such as against Real Madrid).
He could sell loads more mattresses that Boyd ever could as well.

Everyone, please stop with the Kris Boyd stuff.
Are you aware that you just responded to a conparison between Harry Kane and Kris Boyd?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The good thing about this current situation is that surely even the snivelling fannies who inexplicably reach the utterly mental assertion that sometimes you should support a country other than your own have seen more than enough of the English media to hope they get fucked?

SSN just had flightradar24 up there following England plane on route to the match venue. They have gone mental. Its USA "I believe that we can win" levels of minter.

5 minutes on Twitter would surely turn even Ruth Davidson into a Yes campaigner, particularly the BBC (UK) coverage. They even had a story about the Bayeux Tapestry with the tagline "it's coming home".

It will make it all the sweeter when they are papped out. Hopefully tomorrow.

12 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The good thing about this current situation is that surely even the snivelling fannies who inexplicably reach the utterly mental assertion that sometimes you should support a country other than your own have seen more than enough of the English media to hope they get fucked?

SSN just had flightradar24 up there following England plane on route to the match venue. They have gone mental. Its USA "I believe that we can win" levels of minter.

There's nothing wrong in a Scot hoping England get pumped or being happy to see them do well. The real mentalist view is that somehow you're a traitor to Scotland if you take the latter view. And the bitterness at seeing the English getting excited at maybe getting to the semi final. Can you imagine how we would be if Scotland was in that position?

There's nothing wrong in a Scot hoping England get pumped or being happy to see them do well. The real mentalist view is that somehow you're a traitor to Scotland if you take the latter view. And the bitterness at seeing the English getting excited at maybe getting to the semi final. Can you imagine how we would be if Scotland was in that position?
Fortunately for the rest of the world/UK, our excitement wouldnt be force fed into every part of their daily lives, nor would their public figures be constantly forced to clarify where they stand on our performances.

The level of delusion is phenomenal and as a football fan I take issue with it. If someone wants to sit and genuinely discuss Englands chances I have no issue with that. I would make them 3rd favourites behind Croatia and whoever emerges from the other side of the draw. But I simply cant seem to escape utterly cringe patter from folk who clearly know f**k all about football.

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm a Scot living just on the other side of the border (just outside Manchester) and for this world cup I'm hoping they can do it. I only came down here a few months ago but their success is driving a real feelgood factor around the place. I've never been one for the ABE mentality (tbh, I found it a bit pathetic to laugh at a team losing QFs and last 16 games when we can't qualify) but I have in the past supported their opposition if they had a lot of players I enjoy watching, like Portugal in 2004/2006 and Germany 2010, but being a weekly premier league viewer this England team has a lot of players I like and Southgate seems like a genuinely likeable chap. Only thing that puts me off them a bit is their media.

1 minute ago, Donathan said:

I'm a Scot living just on the other side of the border (just outside Manchester) and for this world cup I'm hoping they can do it. I only came down here a few months ago but their success is driving a real feelgood factor around the place. I've never been one for the ABE mentality (tbh, I found it a bit pathetic to laugh at a team losing QFs and last 16 games when we can't qualify) but I have in the past supported their opposition if they had a lot of players I enjoy watching, like Portugal in 2004/2006 and Germany 2010, but being a weekly premier league viewer this England team has a lot of players I like and Southgate seems like a genuinely likeable chap. Only thing that puts me off them a bit is their media.

Snap more or less. The last time they had a team I didn't hope were pumped out in the qualifiers was when Bobby Robson was manager.

3 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

They are desperate to win a game of sports because everything else about England is just awful.

I pity them more than anything. 

Absolute horse shit. Every single country is "desperate" to win their world cup quarter final, besides day to day life in England is incredibly similar to Scotland.

4 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Absolute horse shit. Every single country is "desperate" to win their world cup quarter final, besides day to day life in England is incredibly similar to Scotland.

No it fucking isn't.

Morris1.jpg

Working down in Liverpool this week, the feel good factor amongst the locals is fantastic, think they may hit the skids tomorrow afternoon, but who can blame them for enjoying it while it lasts? Most lads we’ve chatted with expected England to be on the plane home by now.

17 hours ago, Roker Rover said:

I don't know the exact figure either but I do know its about 7 or 8 more than Scotland have. 

Come on, you're better than this :lol:

We all know Scotland are irrelevant ffs. The majority of posters are just pointing out that England don't justify the hype. Compared to other large nations, e.g. Argentina, Brazil, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, their tournament record is woeful. But as many have pointed out, the main problem here is the bizarre broadcasting setup in this country. No nation with an ounce of self respect is going to put up with another nation's output being force fed to them.

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

I can't anyone called Donathon seriously.

2 hours ago, Donathan said:

Agree with much of that, but would add that the English media could turn almost anyone into an ABE.

I can't quite understand why they have got themselves so worked up just because they won a match on a penalty shoot out. It's like this has never been done before, and there's now no reason now why they can't go all the way. If they really were that good they should have won beaten Colombia without AET and penalties.

Another bone of contention with me is the coverage of England's campaign by the national news media. It's almost like brexit has paled into insignificance. The compilers of all these news bulletins should try and get their heads around the fact  that these are shown nationwide - not just in England. There's nothing to stop the English regions giving the England team and their supporters as much coverage as they want, by why should all their bullshit be inflicted on the Scots, the Welsh and Northern Ireland  on the 6 o'clock, or 10 o'clock news or any other prime time news slots.

Some of us, in fact a lot of us, are not really bothered as to just how far England might go in this tournament.

I don't remember the magnificent Welsh run in the Euros getting underplayed. The fact that England got past the qualifiers in the easiest group is astonishing, of course they're excited. If we don't want to hear London or Manchester based TV and radio companies talking about England in the World Cup we should vote for a devolved BBC and encourage STV to have their own national news. Or just do the blindingly obvious and vote for independence. 

Just had the local news on BBC (Look East). They can f**k off.  Apparently some baby has predicted they're going to win it. Of course it has. The sooner they're on their way home, the better. I'll enjoy every lovely salty teared minute of it. 

Mrs Tdb (not into football in the slightest) did question my motives regarding it all. I didn't go into it in too much depth apart from saying it would be nice to see Lineker blubbing on national tv.

We've currently more important things to be doing. We're moving into our new house tomorrow. 

Archived