England's Glorious Failure

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, GordonS said:

Any of them played the unmitigated pish that were Tunisia and Panama? He's had three penalties and a deflection of someone else's shot off his heel so lets not get carried away.

But if you insist, he's probably as good as Oleg Salenko.

No they didn't. One of them did play in a group against Japan, Senegal and Columbia and he didn't manage to score a single goal.

Kane is a decent striker but that's it, end of.

We saw again last night that without Eriksen to put the ball on a plate for him that he simply isn't good enough to make chances for himself the way a Suarez or a Cavani can do.  Let's face it, England had no shots on target against a pretty mediocre Colombia side who were missing their superstar best player and again they just managed to scrape through on penalties, after beating a pub team and scoring an injury time winner against one of the poorest sides in the tournament.

Take Kane's penalties out of the equation and the guy has had a pretty poor World Cup considering the teams he's come up against.

I just wish the media would call it for what it is, instead of this "years of hurt", "we deserve this", "this is the real England" crap that we have to put up with 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

I can only hope and pray that Sweden put them all firmly back in their box...............

44 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

England should never even have been near extra time last night given the possession they had. Yet again, their own doing. This time they got lucky.

Next time........

That's what I thought but apparently they only had 52% v 48%. 

20 hours ago, Latino Lover said:

No matter what happens now it’s been a success. People can talk about quality of opponents all they like but to actually go out and score 6 goals in one game is still decent and very un England like.

Why do we constantly hear about "52 years of failure"?

In that time several England squads have performed at or beyond the level you would expect of each particular squad. 

1 hour ago, Merkie84 said:

Why do we constantly hear about "52 years of failure"?

In that time several England squads have performed at or beyond the level you would expect of each particular squad. 

Compared to countries of a similar stature like Germany, Italy, France and Spain, 3 major semi finals in 52 years is pretty poor going though.

7 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Compared to countries of a similar stature like Germany, Italy, France and Spain, 3 major semi finals in 52 years is pretty poor going though.

This is it in a nutshell. England are massive underachievers.

13 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

This is it in a nutshell. England are massive underachievers.

Very true, although to be fair so were Spain until 10 years ago. I guess that corner can be turned eventually...

The amount of times I'm seeing and hearing the phrase "It's coming home" is getting ridiculous. 

I was standing in the Australian equivalent of B&Q yesterday deciding on which 8mm drill bit I was going to buy, while two English staff members stood next to me excitedly discussing the football as if they'd just torn yet another team to shreds. As the conversation ended one of them genuinely said to the other one, "It's coming home mate"  before walking away. I wasn't watching them but I imagine he winked and pointed at the other guy with his fingers in a gun shape as he said it.  I'm very disappointed in myself for not letting out an audible snigger. 

Eta: ...and right on cue, I go onto Facebook and here's the first post I see:

20180705_091336.thumb.png.3c24067b617c91d3dedf49510376769f.png

5 hours ago, Dee Man said:

The amount of times I'm seeing and hearing the phrase "It's coming home" is getting ridiculous. 

I was standing in the Australian equivalent of B&Q yesterday deciding on which 8mm drill bit I was going to buy, while two English staff members stood next to me excitedly discussing the football as if they'd just torn yet another team to shreds. As the conversation ended one of them genuinely said to the other one, "It's coming home mate"  before walking away. I wasn't watching them but I imagine he winked and pointed at the other guy with his fingers in a gun shape as he said it.  I'm very disappointed in myself for not letting out an audible snigger. 

Eta: ...and right on cue, I go onto Facebook and here's the first post I see:

20180705_091336.thumb.png.3c24067b617c91d3dedf49510376769f.png

Social media is absolutely unbearable at the moment.

6 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

Social media is absolutely unbearable at the moment.

There is a very simple solution to that :) 

Archived