England's Glorious Failure

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a side note, the St George's Cross fleg is toxic now. It's getting parity with the Confederate fleg for use by far right groups.

They should replace it but they won't 'cause white Englishmen are at their core rabid supporters of Brexit, EDL, BNP.

3 hours ago, GordonS said:

There's not one of them that could get in France's squad, never mind their team. France were able to leave Benzema at home. How many of the England team have won the Champions League four times?

Some could get in the squad, but none could get a game for Brazil, Uruguay or Belgium. There might be supporting spots for Poland and Portgual, but certainly not as main striker. Only Kane could get a game for Argentina or Spain. Do any of them get in front of Mandzukic? Probably not, and not in central midfield either.

Rashford and Lingard aren't in the same class as Lukaku or James Rodriguez, who aren't in the same class as Griezmann or Mbappe. As for Dele Alli, he very much flatters to deceive. 

Benzema isn't in the France squad because of the rape case. Mandzukic is a donkey. There's various teams here with one striker miles better than any other option they have available (including Poland, Belgium, Portugal (sort of) and Spain since you mentioned them) and if they had someone like Kane too he'd be in the team. Only Argentina have had multiple top level strikers and not bothered to play any of them.

Kane could get a start for pretty much every team at this tournament (and most teams in world football, club or otherwise) and you're deluding yourself if you try and say he couldn't.

7 minutes ago, Fraser Fyvie said:

IT’S COMING HOME emoji881.pngemoji881.pngemoji881.png

Fuckin hate the arrogance of that song.

Football in as much as it could be called football prior to the mid 19th century was probably played all over Europe. In fact like many modern sportsthe ancient Chinese probably played a form of football well before anyone in Europe.

Football as we know it is a mid to late 19th century invention. We have as much right if no more to claim to be the spiritual "home."

Oldest cup...oldest international and all that.

If only one day football would really come home.

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Kane could get a start for pretty much every team at this tournament (and most teams in world football, club or otherwise) and you're deluding yourself if you try and say he couldn't.

Just nope. He's not as good as Griezmann or Mbappe or Lewandowski or Suarez or Cavanni or Neymar or Aguero or Higuain or Salah or Ousmane Dembélé, among others, and the way you know he's not is that Man City, PSG, Bayern Munich, Juve, Barca or Real Madrid would be throwing money at him if he were. Spurs are not big payers and they couldn't keep hold on to Kane if someone wanted him.

France would have taken Benzema if they'd really needed him, but they've got more than enough up front.

6 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

Fuckin hate the arrogance of that song.

Football in as much as it could be called football prior to the mid 19th century was probably played all over Europe. In fact like many modern sportsthe ancient Chinese probably played a form of football well before anyone in Europe.

Football as we know it is a mid to late 19th century invention. We have as much right if no more to claim to be the spiritual "home."

Oldest cup...oldest international and all that.

If only one day football would really come home.

It was the slogan for the tournament being played in England originally. Wouldn’t describe it as arrogant.

5 hours ago, GordonS said:

Just nope. He's not as good as Griezmann or Mbappe or Lewandowski or Suarez or Cavanni or Neymar or Aguero or Higuain or Salah or Ousmane Dembélé, among others, and the way you know he's not is that Man City, PSG, Bayern Munich, Juve, Barca or Real Madrid would be throwing money at him if he were. Spurs are not big payers and they couldn't keep hold on to Kane if someone wanted him.

France would have taken Benzema if they'd really needed him, but they've got more than enough up front.

You realise France start with Olivier Giroud?

Half of those players don't even play in the same position as Kane. What a bizarre argument. 

18 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

They are absolutely insufferable on the radio this morning.

Please God let someone give them a total hiding soon.

If you think that's bad, don't put on Good Morning Britain. 

I actually want to stab Piers Morgan more than usual. 

From what I have seen of them, Sweden are streetwise and well organised, but lack star quality. England don't have the best record against them in recent times, so that is a straw to clutch. Having said that, England should, looking at the respective squads on paper, have enough to win the game.

If England had lost the shootout last night, it would have been a pretty poor tournament for them - narrowly beating a weak Tunisia and thrashing a terrible Panama, losing to a second string Belgium, and then failing to beat a mediocre Colombia, who were missing their best and most influential player. But they didn't, and now they only have to navigate past an unspectacular Sweden to get to a semi-final.

Fine margins and all that, I suppose. 

30 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

They are absolutely insufferable on the radio this morning.

Please God let someone give them a total hiding soon.

Yup. Turned on SSN news this morning and without exaggerating I've heard "it's coming home" seven times in about ten minutes. 

You'd have no idea it was just the Quarters they've reached. 

Every chance they reach the Final, in fact I've got them pegged just behind France as third favourites (Brazil look like a complete side). 

Sweden will cause issues, and last night will have taken a lot out of England. 

I actually don't mind their team, manager etc but the English media are insufferable. 

I was born in England and have English relatives, but I just can't bring myself to support England.

I can see England reaching the semis, maybe even the final, but I don't think they'll win it.

I always feel 1/4 finals are the best we should be looking for and it’s been achieved. Failure is just round the corner, but it at least won’t be glorious now imo. Last 8 with this team is mental 

I just can't see England beating Sweden. Sweden don't play the most attractive football and don't have any big stars, but they do play as a proper team, are very hard to break down & good on the counter attack. It's pretty obvious England don't like playing against such defensive teams.

36 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

Last 8 with this team is mental 

To be fair, the draw has been very kind.  Not England's fault of course, they have to play who's in front of them.  

Archived