England's Glorious Failure

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be in midfield, in this game or the next where England will fall flat on their face. Luka Modric and Ivan Rakitic will be extremely excited about playing a world cup semi against midfielders who are multiple levels beneath them.

It should be a Pirlo-esque hounding. England and going to have to go life and death to win these games, having already done so against Colombia. Their squad depth is non existent. On that basis, they will be pretty fortunate to make the final, and wont have anything close to enough to beat any of the 4 on the other side of the draw.

19 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

It will be in midfield, in this game or the next where England will fall flat on their face. Luka Modric and Ivan Rakitic will be extremely excited about playing a world cup semi against midfielders who are multiple levels beneath them.

It should be a Pirlo-esque hounding. England and going to have to go life and death to win these games, having already done so against Colombia. Their squad depth is non existent. On that basis, they will be pretty fortunate to make the final, and wont have anything close to enough to beat any of the 4 on the other side of the draw.

Was Denmark's midfield not several levels beneath them as a unit too?  Obviously not Eriksen, but the other two were hardly on their level.  And they still could have gone out.

It's about playing to levels.  If Croatia play to anywhere near their best, they'll pump Russia.  They'll also do similar to England or Sweden.  But Croatia have history of not doing that, and there will be considerable pressure on them to make the final no matter who goes through.

But the last part is right.  England will be fortunate to make the final if they do (as will any of the teams on that side) but it's very likely they're walking into an absolute hiding by one of the 4 from the right-hand-side.  Even the weakest on paper - Uruguay for me - would be like death from a thousand cuts, and would professionally and brutally grind their way through.  I see it like Wales in Euro 2016.  They had some heroic performances to get to the semis, but once they did get there they were facing a Portugal side who were up for it, and smeared them all over the pavement.

21 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

And last night's penalty should never have been given because he was fouling first.

Totally spot on (pardon the pun), I said the exact same thing at the time and still maintain that Sanchez was goal side of Kane who then pushed against him, grabbed his jersey and basically ragdolled him aside so he could get in front of him, at this point Sanchez retaliated and rather stupidly jumped on his back which of course led to the award being given, buy Yes, certainly no doubt for me that Kane committed the first infringement.

2 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Three Lions has gone top of the iTunes chart, but they’re still not getting carried away

:lol: 

Well better than the usual pish getting pumped out these days. 

FWIW, World in Motion is better IMO. 

5 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Three Lions has gone top of the iTunes chart, but they’re still not getting carried away

They're planning victory parades and bank holidays off to celebrate, but they're still not getting carried away.

53 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Totally spot on (pardon the pun), I said the exact same thing at the time and still maintain that Sanchez was goal side of Kane who then pushed against him, grabbed his jersey and basically ragdolled him aside so he could get in front of him, at this point Sanchez retaliated and rather stupidly jumped on his back which of course led to the award being given, buy Yes, certainly no doubt for me that Kane committed the first infringement.

Yep, Kane initiated the contact then got goal side and went down.  He knew if the ref saw them tangled together then him hitting the desk he'd get the foul.   How people can say it's a clear penalty is beyond me.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Lasse Schone and Thomas Delaney are “multiple levels below” those two, didn’t equate to a hounding for Denmark did it?

Lasse Schone and Thomas Delaney are “multiple levels below” those two, didn’t equate to a hounding for Denmark did it?
England dont have anything even close to a Christian Eriksen to conpensate. England have also shown many times in the past that they lack the basic organisation and discipline of many of these supposedly smaller inferior nations. See Iceland 2016 for confirmation of this.

Croatia have already shown the ability to skelp good sides in this tournament. England haven't shown that competitively in my lifetime I dont think. Like I said, England will have to go life and death to beat anyone from here on out and if Switzerland or Denmark had progressed instead of, the same would apply. As it will if they end up with Russia.

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Croatia have already shown the ability to skelp good sides in this tournament. England haven't shown that competitively in my lifetime I dont think. Like I said, England will have to go life and death to beat anyone from here on out and if Switzerland or Denmark had progressed instead of, the same would apply. As it will if they end up with Russia.

They have, but like I said they've also shown against Denmark - and in previous tournaments - that they can flatter to deceive at times.  I'm 100% in agreement that if Croatia turn up, they will tear England (or Sweden) to shreds, but it's nowhere near as simple as that.  The pressure of being in a semi final will make or break them.

30 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

England dont have anything even close to a Christian Eriksen to conpensate. England have also shown many times in the past that they lack the basic organisation and discipline of many of these supposedly smaller inferior nations. See Iceland 2016 for confirmation of this.

Tbf I go along with the narrative that this is a "different" England side. Not claiming they are great, but their style of play is different, and they did just win on pens ffs.

2 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

They're planning victory parades and bank holidays off to celebrate, but they're still not getting carried away.

Bank holidays you say? Mon Ingerland! 

23 hours ago, Nick_BCFC said:

No they didn't. One of them did play in a group against Japan, Senegal and Columbia and he didn't manage to score a single goal.

Japan, Senegal and Colombia are obviously much better than Tunisia and Panama. That's obvious.

When Bayern Munich replace Lewandowski with Kane, I'll agree you have a point.

Croatia's win over Denmark was the first knockout game they'd won since France 98'.

Hopefully they don't flatter to decieve as on paper they should be getting to the final easily but they really struggled the other night. Euro 2008 and 2016 were massive missed opportunities for them.

Also I have them in my work sweepstake.

Archived