England's Glorious Failure

Surely to God some of these 'Rangers' fandans couldn't hold it in and cheered like f'ck when Croatia scored - it's in our DNA FFS - impossible to suppress!?

I know football doesn't bring Old Firm & 'Rangers' fans any joy at the best of times but England getting papped oot is utterly joyous - why deny yourself the pleasure ?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ned Nederlander said:

Surely to God some of these 'Rangers' fandans couldn't hold it in and cheered like f'ck when Croatia scored - it's in our DNA FFS - impossible to suppress!?

I know football doesn't bring Old Firm & 'Rangers' fans any joy at the best of times but England getting papped oot is utterly joyous - why deny yourself the pleasure ?

There's a few who are just entirely fucked off with Scotland since we all did...erm...something, and have decided to be English by proxy. Nothing to do with England having a more successful national team, of course.

Apparently starting yet another new club down south and fucking off isn't an acceptable alternative, though. Nothing to do with not being big fish in a small pond anymore, of course.

I see Luka Modric is claiming that Croatia's performance was inspired by the disrespectful attitude of the English media. No doubt a period of reflection ahead for the fourth estate.

Alternatively, just carry on being a massive hindrance, as normal.

2 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I see Luka Modric is claiming that Croatia's performance was inspired by the disrespectful attitude of the English media.

Were they inspired to be as shite as expected? Because for the most part, that's exactly what they were.

1 minute ago, Mayor Wilkins III said:

Were they inspired to be as shite as expected? Because for the most part, that's exactly what they were.

Just think how little effort they'd planned on putting in.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:
7 minutes ago, Mayor Wilkins III said:

In what way were they shite for the most part?

Completely toothless despite being gifted loads of possession from a scared England. Only really went through the gears after they got the equaliser and even then didn't look that threatening for the most part.

Wasn't as if they were against a great defence either.

Completely toothless despite being gifted loads of possession from a scared England. Only really went through the gears after they got the equaliser and even then didn't look that threatening for the most part.
They were pish poor for half an hour, poor for the next fifteen, then utterly dominated England, scarcely allowed them a chance until the end of 120 minutes and created better chances themselves, including two vital goals. It is in fact England, who were toothless and shite.

I thought a lot of Croatia's domination came from the fact that England refused to put pressure on them when they had the ball. Whenever they had it, the retreated into a shell.

England WERE toothless and shite, and also on top of that, had absolutely zero balls. Southgate basically did a Strachan and sat back in a game which they could realistically won.

Completely toothless despite being gifted loads of possession from a scared *insert team*. (Only really went through the gears after they got the equaliser and even) then didn't look that threatening for the most part.

Excluding what I've bracketed, you've described every England performance of the tournament apart from last night. Didn't stop their media and support wringing their knickers.

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

Excluding what I've bracketed, you've described every England performance of the tournament. Didn't stop their media and support wringing their knickers.

I've already talked about how poor England are. My comments just now are about what Modric is saying. Their performance was hardly an inspired one. If it was, then they're in for a long final.

After the group stage finished, the finalist from the bottom half of the draw was always going to be the weakest in living memory, regardless of who got there.

2 minutes ago, Mayor Wilkins III said:

I've already talked about how poor England are. My comments just now are about what Modric is saying. Their performance was hardly an inspired one. If it was, then they're in for a long final.

Yes. Yes they are.

I much more enjoyed Vrsaljko's comments. Always seems like sour grapes when it's a losing player that says stuff like that, but his comments as a winner sounded more like a proper GIRUY, and also a very deserved one at that.

13 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

After the group stage finished, the finalist from the bottom half of the draw was always going to be the weakest in living memory, regardless of who got there.

Even if it had been Spain?

there were many Russians in the crowd with England flags supporting us

If that's true, which I doubt, they were probably just hoping to see Croatia lose rather than Ingurland win.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Even if it had been Spain?

Mmm...maybe not Spain.

Do we think 2018 Spain would've beaten 1990 Argentina? They're my benchmark for shit teams that somehow made it deep into a World Cup.

3 hours ago, Mayor Wilkins III said:

Slaven Bilic put it best yesterday when dishing out telts to Glenn hoddle and co.

England play a unique system that Croatia haven't had experience of playing before. They took a while to settle and get on the ball. Once they did they pretty much played them off the park

14 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Especially wins that nobody alive today was ever around to witness, yet people still use for one-upmanship.  Morton fans seem to be the stand out culprits for this one.

Eta:  I'm a bit undecided on the whole 'overachievement' thing.  To take an extreme fantasy, if Brechin actually won a major cup as a result of a ridiculous cup draw that saw us only beat League 2 & HL sides (after a series of shock results courtesy of them, e.g. Aberdeen to beat Celtic / Rangers only to get knocked out by East Fife on pens... again) to get there, would it be no big achievement? 

England didn't win though. They didn't even get to the final.

As others have said, England aren't like Brechin, who aren't even a full-time club.

This is really like Partick Thistle making the semi-finals of the cup, without facing any premier league opposition. I don't think anyone would regard that as an achievement.

Archived