England's Glorious Failure

Looking at their squad, it’s still fairly shite. However, they do have good attacking options with the Spurs, Man Utd and Man City players.

Kane and Alli are Spurs star turns. Lingard, Rashford and Sterling are all decent quality.

Defensively they aren’t the greatest but they’re not Barry White.

Quarter-finals again if they get a lucky draw? Too optimistic?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit of a shambles with their team against Panama getting leaked. 

I think the media were within their rights to publish it, and I prefer this, erm, espionage to the saccharine sycophancy from the BBC and ITV so far. 

38 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I think the media were within their rights to publish it, and I prefer this, erm, espionage to the saccharine sycophancy from the BBC and ITV so far. 

Some people are getting really upset about this.

It's Panama ffs

On 6/19/2018 at 06:06, Scary Bear said:

Looking at their squad, it’s still fairly shite. However, they do have good attacking options with the Spurs, Man Utd and Man City players.

Kane and Alli are Spurs star turns. Lingard, Rashford and Sterling are all decent quality.

Defensively they aren’t the greatest but they’re not Barry White.

Quarter-finals again if they get a lucky draw? Too optimistic?

They get the one of the teams from the Japan, Senegal, Poland, Colombia Group in the last 16, practically a bye unless these teams improve real fucking quick

I like the reverse to the usual group format:

- Play the two uber diddies first, qualify, start looking at potential opponents
- Debate whether it's better to finish first or second in their group before the third match is played
- (At no point is the level of their opposition considered)
- A nothing match as the other qualified team don't take it seriously, potentially a plucky draw
- Can This Team Go All the Way?
- A thorough dicking by whoever they ended up getting

On 20/04/2018 at 21:16, Lurkst said:

Been a while since they had a failure that was anything resembling glorious...

Was working in Manchester when they were put out by Iceland. Got hammered that night as I celebrated.  (Not by the little Englanders, but the flowing drinks) all paid for by the company - the other lot had left at FT. 

Right...

The way this is going, they'll fail to beat Belgium and finish second. Then they'll play Senegal or Colombia in the last 16. That's winnable. Then it's the winner of Mexico v Switzerland in the quarters. That's also winnable. Then it's a semi-final against the winner of Portugal v Croatia.

I don't like this.

3 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Right...

The way this is going, they'll fail to beat Belgium and finish second. Then they'll play Senegal or Colombia in the last 16. That's winnable. Then it's the winner of Mexico v Switzerland in the quarters. That's also winnable. Then it's a semi-final against the winner of Portugal v Croatia.

I don't like this.

Your getting me worried now

Right...
I don't like this.

What happens if they beat Belgium?

23 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Right...

I don't like this.

Are you the c**t on the advert getting the tattoo?

2 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Are you the c**t on the advert getting the tattoo?

I'm the guy saying "we're all doooooomed."

There's a decent chance the bottom half of the draw will produce a new World Cup finalist. Of those likely to be in it only England have made the final before. It could well be Portugal-Russia, Croatia-Denmark; Mexico-Switzerland and Group H winner v Belgium/England.

47 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Right...

I don't like this.

If it was England v Switzerland or Mexico, I know I'd put my money on Switzerland/Mexico...

Right...
I don't like this.

Aye, like they’ll beat Portugal.

3 hours ago, GordonS said:

Right...

I don't like this.

Christ.

They could avoid playing a recognised power until the final.

Genuinely scary.

On 22/06/2018 at 16:05, accies1874 said:

The team sheet wasn’t “leaked”. That sheet had every player in the squad on it in the position they play. I assume it was all the players who trained that day, as Alli was down as “with medic”. 

They get the one of the teams from the Japan, Senegal, Poland, Colombia Group in the last 16, practically a bye unless these teams improve real fucking quick
I'd fancy Senegal's pace to beat their bombscare defence.

Colombia are an unknown considering they shot themselves in the foot after 3 minutes in the last game.

Poland - one word - Lewandowski. If a fraction of the player turns up they will have a torrid time.

Japan - fekk - if they lost to them it would make the Iceland result look like a tea party - pmsl would be an understatement if that happened!!

Archived