Raith V Alloa The championship decider

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best team in the league has the most points, we have got the better of Ayr in our head to head meetings, but I would never say that meant we were better.

We’ve thrown away a lot of points and could possibly be up close to the top 2 but we’re not because the top 2 are better teams than we are and have not dropped as much silly points as we have.

Raith are currently the best and look like they’ll finish the best, Ayr second best, simple as that

I reckon between Ayr and Raith there is a full team that would have won the league at an absolute canter. As it is there are two sides who are clearer better than the rest but who are engaged in a battle to out-shitebag each other. Depending on which way around you view it, Ayr are winning that battle currently and I fully expect to us to remain so.

All this stuff re whose the better team is geting past boring. It might even have been me that started it what seems like eons ago on this or some other of the many threads involving this battle. However,  I think most people would accept the proposition that over 36 games the team at the top is the best team.  It may not be true but since there's no way of verifying that, it's a pointless stance to take. You'd have to analyse every game in immense detail to check if referee decisions, for example, were equally good or bad for both teams. How many jammy deflected goals did each team score or concede?  Should that shy in the game against X which led to you conceding a goal two phases of play later reallyhave been awarded? etc etc etc. Impossible task. 

You just have to assume that the good luck/bad luck evens out over 36 games and whoever finishes top deserves to be there.

However, enough of this rationality. Obviously if Raith somehow manage the steal of the century by winning the league, then they're the jammiest team ever to grace (disgrace ?) a pitch.

Anyone else watch highlights of previous ‘big’ games or moments in the build up to a big game?

Already worked through the Ramsdens Cup win, the 3-3 Rangers game and Hibs 1-0 play off win.

Probably tick off the 3-2 Anderson header Easter Road game, 2-0 Casa winner at EEP and the 2-2 Allan Walker Pars game before Saturday.

Anyone else watch highlights of previous ‘big’ games or moments in the build up to a big game?
Already worked through the Ramsdens Cup win, the 3-3 Rangers game and Hibs 1-0 play off win.
Probably tick off the 3-2 Anderson header Easter Road game, 2-0 Casa winner at EEP and the 2-2 Allan Walker Pars game before Saturday.
There's a game this weekend? You'd never know it from the recent content in this thread.

I might channel the spirit of 2008/09 and see what highlights are available from that year.

Too close to call. We likely need to win so won't have any luxury of being able to drop points.

This is far from over and if we don't get an early goal the South Stand will become a very nervy place. 

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

There's a game this weekend? You'd never know it from the recent content in this thread.

I might channel the spirit of 2008/09 and see what highlights are available from that year.

Daniel Elder on YouTube is your man for that I think. Bobby Sloan late free kick in the 2-0 win late in the season against Brechin is a personal fave along with the 3-1 win against Alloa with 10 men.

6 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Loved this game. All those losing trips to Ibrox rewarded when I went to this even though it was on TV.  The scenes at the final whistle. Incredible 

We had Dale Carrick on loan from Hearts who made his debut that game, alas Lee McCulloch did a Shankland on him after 50 minutes or so and that was the last of him for the season.

Daniel Elder on YouTube is your man for that I think. Bobby Sloan late free kick in the 2-0 win late in the season against Brechin is a personal fave along with the 3-1 win against Alloa with 10 men.
There's a video of Sloans free kick I took from the stand which I love watching from time to time. The reactions were great. Brechin were ridiculously hard to break down and it needed something special to get the win that day.

4 minutes ago, Oor Willis said:
47 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

There's a video of Sloans free kick I took from the stand which I love watching from time to time. The reactions were great. Brechin were ridiculously hard to break down and it needed something special to get the win that day.

That was a special moment. Felt like the goal was never coming.  Might go watch it again 

Great video, our very own “that’s never ten yards”. The fan reaction is class when the camera pans round. A man clapping like a seal and the old boy facing towards the back of the stand offering his pal a slow clenched fist.

I watched that Alloa game earlier. I have to admit I'd forgotten all about that game during the run in that season. I thought we were buggered when Simmons was sent off but we still dug out the win.
Same scoreline tomorrow but without the stress of the red card please.

I just want to wish Raith Rovers all the best tomorrow. There are three major reasons for this:

1 - Lewis Vaughan :wub:

2 - Ayr United :lol:

3 - It's going to be a real struggle for me to get to Arbroath on Wednesday night.

Plz don't let me down guys x

Archived