The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, ftk said:

I know we have all the heard the Dam Park rumours before lots of times but Ayr Utd are in talks with South Ayrshire Council and Ayr Rugby Club about moving to Dam Park.

Ayr Rugby Club are definitely moving there in next few years. Its being flattened and rebuilt. If Ayr Utd move there with them it will be one stand, 3 sides terracing and 3g pitch 6,000 approx total capacity. Estimated cost £6-8 million.

All parties are in talks so it's all a case of wait and see.

Get it to f**k

I hope the only signing targets we get is Doyle.  The rest can get to f**k, preferably so far they are in the same league as the first we didn't get.....

2 hours ago, ftk said:

I know we have all the heard the Dam Park rumours before lots of times but Ayr Utd are in talks with South Ayrshire Council and Ayr Rugby Club about moving to Dam Park.

Ayr Rugby Club are definitely moving there in next few years. Its being flattened and rebuilt. If Ayr Utd move there with them it will be one stand, 3 sides terracing and 3g pitch 6,000 approx total capacity. Estimated cost £6-8 million.

Are you sure they're possibly not in talks about moving full time training to there or something and where did you hear this anyway?

Are you sure they're possibly not in talks about moving full time training to there or something and where did you hear this anyway?
Yeah thats possibly what the outcome could be. Lachlan not big on this idea but exploring his options.

South Ayrshire Council want to move Ayr's leisure facilities closer to the town centre. Train station along the road and possible new bus station in burns statue square. Also lots of nearby college parking not used at weekends.

Ayr Rugby Club obviously keen on Ayr Utd to come on board to share the costs of redevelopment. If not they will just build one stand. South Ayrshire council will own the land but will give it away very cheaply on a 100 year lease.

17 minutes ago, ftk said:

Yeah thats possibly what the outcome could be. Lachlan not big on this idea but exploring his options.

South Ayrshire Council want to move Ayr's leisure facilities closer to the town centre. Train station along the road and possible new bus station in burns statue square. Also lots of nearby college parking not used at weekends.

Ayr Rugby Club obviously keen on Ayr Utd to come on board to share the costs of redevelopment. If not they will just build one stand. South Ayrshire council will own the land but will give it away very cheaply on a 100 year lease.

As much as I’d prefer us to stay at Somerset, a move like this would be preferable than to the land at Heathfield.

That being said there are a few issues and questions....

1. The rugby club are loaded and simply don’t need us to be involved so I’d presume we’d simply be their tenants which I do not like one bit.

2. The existing land at Milbrae is not zoned for residential, it’s only for leisure use afaik so not sure what they will do with it. *

I would think if it is going ahead it’s more likely we’d use it as a training base.

*edited to add that either I am wrong  about the zoning or something has changed since the rugby club moving was discussed in the early 2000 as it seems they are in advanced discussion with Cala Homes.

Edited by Hazbart

When thinking about it there could surely be the opportunity for the club to form a partnership with Ayr rugby club and build a new stadium together. Somewhere else other than a tinpot lego thing at Dam Park.

The two clubs would share the ground and have combined events/hospitality area etc. Only disadvantage would be needing to have an astro pitch for the rugby side. Plus side to that though could mean full time training at the stadium which would reduce costs. Imagine atm the club pay a lot for using the likes of Ayr academy and West of Scotland Rugby club in Glasgow.

There's examples down south of Rugby clubs and football clubs sharing grounds, main two I can think of are Swansea and Coventry. The latter an example of when it doesn't work well!!

3 minutes ago, rb123! said:

When thinking about it there could surely be the opportunity for the club to form a partnership with Ayr rugby club and build a new stadium together. Somewhere else other than a tinpot lego thing at Dam Park.

The two clubs would share the ground and have combined events/hospitality area etc. Only disadvantage would be needing to have an astro pitch for the rugby side. Plus side to that though could mean full time training at the stadium which would reduce costs. Imagine atm the club pay a lot for using the likes of Ayr academy and West of Scotland Rugby club in Glasgow.

There's examples down south of Rugby clubs and football clubs sharing grounds, main two I can think of are Swansea and Coventry. The latter an example of when it doesn't work well!!

The cost sharing aspect is a huge plus, not just on the initial build but on going repairs to Somerset must be killing us.

It would make sense to groundshare but if it does happen if like to see a separate company set up  to build/run the stadium with a 50/50 split between both clubs so that we can’t be forced out etc otherwise we’d risk being another Coventry.

8 hours ago, ftk said:

No we aren't.  Training and Academy matches would take place at the Craigie Sports Hub, which involves SAC, AUFC, AUFA, Ayr Rugby Club and Ayr Seaforth.  The first team already trains at Ayr Academy, which will be part of the hub.

The last I heard the university were also heavily involved with this plan and were trying to make a sports science centre for the West of Scotland. Whilst a lot of talk about sharing a stadium maybe the bigger draw for any sporting clubs would be having a base with access to top class training and rehabilitation facilities

This may have been covered but does Rugby not get played on different type of artificial pitch to football and if so would that not mean it would be a non starter anyway (bearing in mind it probably is a non starter)

23 minutes ago, malkyshotton said:

This may have been covered but does Rugby not get played on different type of artificial pitch to football and if so would that not mean it would be a non starter anyway (bearing in mind it probably is a non starter)

Unfortunately Rugby and Football can be played on the same artificial pitch as shown at the ground 12 miles up the road from Ayr ( aptly named )  , where a number of prestige rugby games have been played in the last couple of years including international games 

Edited by Robbo63

40 minutes ago, malkyshotton said:

Both Coventry and Reading currently share their artificial pitch with a rugby team and I think the new stadium in Bristol will as well. 

43 minutes ago, malkyshotton said:

Top level rugby players absolutely despise the 4g pitches though. There was outcry when Glasgow city  Council wanted to install them at Scotstoun.

Interestingly though Warriors ended up using Rugby Park after the pitches at Scotstoun were flooded so they may not have an issue with them anymore.

I think it would be a huge mistake to box ourselves into a stadium that can only have an artificial pitch (since sharing a grass pitch with rugby types is impractical).  They’re not popular with players and managers and, I believe, the vast majority of fans.  I’ve rarely seen a good match on plastic, with slow sticky pitches such as the one at Airdrie usually degenerating to hoofball because players can’t pass or run with the ball.  

There is also still a huge question over wear and tear on players as well.  Manufacturers claim they are no different to grass pitches and yet health professionals are advising players with a history of e.g, knee problems not to play on them.  There seems to be a real disconnect there.  I believe there are also growing health and environmental concerns around the black rubber pellets used which might force change as well.  

Point is, I can see plastic pitches falling out of favour in the years to come.  They were only ever put in as a cheap option, and not to improve the product on the park.  I saw Ruud Gullitt recently psuggesting the use of plastic pitches in Holland is part of the reason for the decline of their game in recent years.  Basically he was arguing that players are developed on a surface that has fundamentally different characteristics from the surface that they will ultimately play on in the top leagues.

I think it would be a huge mistake to box ourselves into a stadium that can only have an artificial pitch (since sharing a grass pitch with rugby types is impractical).  They’re not popular with players and managers and, I believe, the vast majority of fans.  I’ve rarely seen a good match on plastic, with slow sticky pitches such as the one at Airdrie usually degenerating to hoofball because players can’t pass or run with the ball.  
There is also still a huge question over wear and tear on players as well.  Manufacturers claim they are no different to grass pitches and yet health professionals are advising players with a history of e.g, knee problems not to play on them.  There seems to be a real disconnect there.  I believe there are also growing health and environmental concerns around the black rubber pellets used which might force change as well.  
Point is, I can see plastic pitches falling out of favour in the years to come.  They were only ever put in as a cheap option, and not to improve the product on the park.  I saw Ruud Gullitt recently psuggesting the use of plastic pitches in Holland is part of the reason for the decline of their game in recent years.  Basically he was arguing that players are developed on a surface that has fundamentally different characteristics from the surface that they will ultimately play on in the top leagues.

This.

Plus any of the new stadiums in Scotland I have been to are utter rubbish. Lego, identical, souless places.

Give me Somerset any day of the week. It's our home!