The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

15 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think it’s quite plausible McCall has been given more money but wants to add to that budget by trimming the wages off of squad players.

I have real concerns with that approach.

Did we not do something similar a few seasons ago and signed Balatoni and Harkins on big wages to supplement a fairly thin squad. That worked well...

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

If we are relying on McCowan as a starter we are in trouble already. Harsh but fair.

Feel free to bookmark this post and come back to me if I'm wrong! I hope I am.

No necessarily starting every game, but can see him and Moff sharing game time - Moff look out on his feet at the end of the season - would help him to stay fresh and also not put too much pressure on McCowan when we can drop him at times

Thankfully some people on here aren’t in charge or we’d need the buckets out at the end of every season to pay for everyone’s wage rises.

Nobody offered a contract so far is irreplaceable and I’m sure the club would survive if Moffat and all his goals left again.

In his 4 games McCowan offered energy and direct running that was sadly missing from most of our play during the 2nd half of the season. I've no problem with us giving him an opportunity to show if he can do it over a longer period.

No ill feeling for Liam Smith but I wonder if he regrets not waiting until ti see what league Dundee Utd would end up in before signing now.
I doubt it. Higher wage and bigger club. A much larger chance of promotion next season than we have.

I doubt it. Higher wage and bigger club. A much larger chance of promotion next season than we have.
Until they go into administration I know they have wealthy American owners but the size of squad they have and the wages they will be paying is not substantiable in the championship

We apparently matched Moff’s wages when we re-signed him from Dunfermline, allegedly £800 P/W. Assuming he was on the same last season, I don’t think McCall could justify the same again if he’s already stated Moff will have to accept less game time next season.

It’s certainly a catch 22. I wouldn’t want to lose Moff, especially to a potential rival, but I’d rather the money was used elsewhere.

Moff has been a fine servant and a modern club legend but unfortunately sentiment can’t come into it.

The club have also done a huge amount for Moff. We gave him his chance in senior football and I’d imagine the club have been more then accommodating with his PT business ultimately letting him plan for retirement through time.

39 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

Thankfully some people on here aren’t in charge or we’d need the buckets out at the end of every season to pay for everyone’s wage rises.

Who suggested a wage rise?

My issue is offering our most creative player a wage cut. Whilst offering contracts to two perma crocs. How does that work? I'd rather ditch the 2 crocs and keep Moffat.

Who suggested a wage rise?
My issue is offering our most creative player a wage cut. Whilst offering contracts to two perma crocs. How does that work? I'd rather ditch the 2 crocs and keep Moffat.

Because McCall clearly doesn’t see Moffat as a guaranteed starter next season. That’s the only reason he’s been offered a lower wage. As a club we can’t afford to have squad players on such a high wage.

As for Bell and Adams they’ve also been offered a reduced wage. In fact Adams is purely appearance based. If we let Bell and Adams go we’ll have to sign 3 new centre backs in the summer. I’d rather have them both on a reduced wage and maybe sign 1 or 2.

We apparently matched Moff’s wages when we re-signed him from Dunfermline, allegedly £800 P/W. Assuming he was on the same last season, I don’t think McCall could justify the same again if he’s already stated Moff will have to accept less game time next season.

It’s certainly a catch 22. I wouldn’t want to lose Moff, especially to a potential rival, but I’d rather the money was used elsewhere.

Moff has been a fine servant and a modern club legend but unfortunately sentiment can’t come into it.

The club have also done a huge amount for Moff. We gave him his chance in senior football and I’d imagine the club have been more then accommodating with his PT business ultimately letting him plan for retirement through time.

I'd be surprised if he didn't sign on for next year if he's moving to another champ team the closest one is Partick the rest are pretty far out from Mauchline where he stays he's got a young family plus his PT business is ran out of Somerset, I'm sure he knows himself he's not getting any younger and may need to take a bit of a cut, really hope he does stay he can be a good influence on the young guys coming through.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Because McCall clearly doesn’t see Moffat as a guaranteed starter next season. That’s the only reason he’s been offered a lower wage. As a club we can’t afford to have squad players on such a high wage.

If Moffat is a squad player are we signing a new number 10 then? McCowan isn't the answer.

I really dont get how the manager seems to think Moffat is a squad player but Boyd or Doolan would be starting. I'm begining to think the gaffer's demons are back as that is totally nonsensical.

I was referring to letting Geggan and Adams go.

I think Geggan showed how useful he is last season due to his versatility.

I’d be happy with letting one of Bell or Adams go but I’d want Geggan and Moff to stay.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think Geggan showed how useful he is last season due to his versatility.

I’d be happy with letting one of Bell or Adams go but I’d want Geggan and Moff to stay.

Pretty much agree with this however I’d let Bell and Adams go. If it’s between the two i’d rather Bell. 

4 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

If Moffat is a squad player are we signing a new number 10 then? McCowan isn't the answer.

I really dont get how the manager seems to think Moffat is a squad player but Boyd or Doolan would be starting. I'm begining to think the gaffer's demons are back as that is totally nonsensical.

Genuine question - are you friends or family of Moff?

What are you basing McCowan not being the answer on? 

Just now, ayrunitedfw said:

Pretty much agree with this however I’d let Bell and Adams go. If it’s between the two i’d rather Bell. 

Hard to say unless we know exactly what wage the likes of Bell and Adams are on and how good a replacement we would get for the same wage would be. 

1 minute ago, Hursty said:

Genuine question - are you friends or family of Moff?

What are you basing McCowan not being the answer on? 

No relation to Moffat. Not his friend either. 

As for McCowan, hes played well in 4 games. A season is made up of 40 games +. Its too early to tell if he is the answer. Currently he isnt.

No relation to Moffat. Not his friend either. 
As for McCowan, hes played well in 4 games. A season is made up of 40 games +. Its too early to tell if he is the answer. Currently he isnt.

Yes however McCall has made it pretty clearly he’ll be more involved next season. I don’t think anyone has said that he’ll be relied upon to do anything amazing but from what I’ve seen I think he’ll do ok.