The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Seems like a bit of panic already. As last season was a good one and we stayed in the division I would like to see a much smoother transfer window. Like Dunfermline have allegedly done with McDaid I would like to see some players arriving sooner  than later. Would like to think we can tempt players from other teams or lower leagues. Appreciate late deals will happen but don’t want to be scraping about last minute waiting for deals elsewhere  falling through

2 minutes ago, Lochwood said:

Kyle turner away to Dunfermline, quite sure he would have been one of McCall’s targets

Dunfermline have had to pay a development fee for him so not sure he would have been, I believe that was the stumbling block last time around when we brought Stevie Bell in. 

3 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Yes and the Ayrshire post article pretty much suggests the majority of our signings will be loanees. We’ll probably be joining you boys back in league 1 next season. 

Knickers = drenched.

Honestly please get a grip. The constant panicking you come out with is incredibly tiresome. Last year you were “dreading” the season ahead and we were top for months and finished in the promotion playoffs, so hopefully your annual panic session goes the same way this year.

Our best signing last season came after the league had started and was after McCall had repeatedly stated the budget was tight after expressing “doubts” over being able to afford Murdoch and Ferguson.

11 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Knickers = drenched.

Honestly please get a grip. The constant panicking you come out with is incredibly tiresome. Last year you were “dreading” the season ahead and we were top for months and finished in the promotion playoffs, so hopefully your annual panic session goes the same way this year.

Hopefully chief 

In hindsight we could have cashed in on Shankland and Smith in January and been in the same situation now.

I know we gave Nesbit a two year contract a few years ago as a great prospect and free'd him a year in to it but we need to tie players like McCowan, Smith, Rose and Shankland to three year contracts with a view to continuity and protecting us from having a squad wiped out in the summer with no cash return. It is unlikely we'd chuck about three year deals having just returned to full time football again. 

Harvies deal runs out this time next year so he needs to kick on to make it at a decent level so if he does that next year, we wont see any benefit again.  Murdoch as well. 

Structured contracts that give the players incentives and protect the club. I'd rather we continued the trend of finding gems that are free'd from other clubs rather than signing the likes of Boyd and Doolan.  I wouldn't be against signing either or both, but I'd rather see McCowan, Forrest and McGuffie get game time. 

Loans are ok, Doohan was a success but Miller and Cadden weren't, and they were brought in at the expense of McGuffie and a certain extent McDaid. 

In hindsight we could have cashed in on Shankland and Smith in January and been in the same situation now.
I know we gave Nesbit a two year contract a few years ago as a great prospect and free'd him a year in to it but we need to tie players like McCowan, Smith, Rose and Shankland to three year contracts with a view to continuity and protecting us from having a squad wiped out in the summer with no cash return. It is unlikely we'd chuck about three year deals having just returned to full time football again. 
Harvies deal runs out this time next year so he needs to kick on to make it at a decent level so if he does that next year, we wont see any benefit again.  Murdoch as well. 
Structured contracts that give the players incentives and protect the club. I'd rather we continued the trend of finding gems that are free'd from other clubs rather than signing the likes of Boyd and Doolan.  I wouldn't be against signing either or both, but I'd rather see McCowan, Forrest and McGuffie get game time. 
Loans are ok, Doohan was a success but Miller and Cadden weren't, and they were brought in at the expense of McGuffie and a certain extent McDaid. 

Nesbit was a loan from Patrick and it got ended in January

10 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Hindsight is a great thing, but remember in January we were top of the league. Keeping two of our best players in the hope of winning the league rather than cashing in was a gamble worth taking at the time when you consider that the prize money available for a high league finish was more than what we were allegedly being offered for Shankland.

6 minutes ago, Iain said:

You can't 'tie' people to contracts they're not willing to sign.

You'll get a wage for three years, paid over the summer for three years. You will get performance related bonuses and increases over three years. at any point in those three years an offer is made for your services we will consult you about this offer, if it is acceptable for both parties it will be accepted. 

This would be attractive to a lot of players at our level. especially players told they aren't good enough by the teams who developed them,  But as I said, I doubt the club could guarantee the same wage for three years at the moment. 

9 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Exactly

When would Shankland ever have signed a 3 year deal with us?

Shankland admits himself that he was a phonecall away from going part time. he was training on his own. we had him on trial and only offered him an initial deal till Xmas.