The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

30 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

If there's no football until 2021 then I'm not sure we'll have Scottish football in its current form.

Surely a high number of clubs would simply fold in those circumstances, or do we think that enough money could be found to only lose one or two clubs along the way (which is probably do-able)?

I just can't see a way in which we'll give up dozens of clubs to this crisis, which would totally change our game. At some point the effects of lockdown do become more severe than the death toll itself. I know that sounds ridiculously callous but we can't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I reckon we'll lose the next few months, absolutely, but i can see Scottish football (and a load of other stuff) getting back in a delayed start of some sort - September /October type time.

That gives us 3-4 months to get on top of testing and make plans for social distancing (of some sort). The virus will be with us for a while (until vaccine is found in the next few years) but i just can't see us holding off large crowds completely until then. A new way will be found where matches can be played and crowds can attend (maybe limited in number, idk).

Yes Scottish league football would appear to be in a whole heap of trouble. The vaccine won’t be coming to most football fans until 2021 and currently little testing to gauge how many have already been infected. The league itself doesn’t appear to have much of a cash reserve and seems to drift by on a season to season basis. Many of the owners don’t have masses of cash and with the business world about to change rapidly may have other troubles on their plate. That leaves the govt who are already heavily issuing credit to keep business running.  Maybe Sturgeon might step in if clubs start going to the wall as a pr exercise to show Scoatlan as being better than England. Unless some clubs can be put into self storage for a year then can’t see anything other than clubs folding at the minute 

I don’t think Roberts would be unwelcome. The equaliser against Airdrie in the 2009 playoffs was probably my favourite of his goals.

Edited by Iain

Yes Scottish league football would appear to be in a whole heap of trouble. The vaccine won’t be coming to most football fans until 2021 and currently little testing to gauge how many have already been infected. The league itself doesn’t appear to have much of a cash reserve and seems to drift by on a season to season basis. Many of the owners don’t have masses of cash and with the business world about to change rapidly may have other troubles on their plate. That leaves the govt who are already heavily issuing credit to keep business running.  Maybe Sturgeon might step in if clubs start going to the wall as a pr exercise to show Scoatlan as being better than England. Unless some clubs can be put into self storage for a year then can’t see anything other than clubs folding at the minute 
I'd have hoped most could limp through the summer, with the community rallying round as well as the furlough scheme.

But you're right, they surely couldn't survive if there was no season next season (until a vaccine).

My point is that surely we, as a society, won't let that happen? At some point you have to get back to something closer to normal. It won't be for a number of months, granted, but after that we can't go into hibernation entirely. It would be an overreaction.

[emoji38] he was called shiny teeth even when he was a player, calm down for god’s sake. 
I'm perfectly calm (incredibly ill and having to have a day in bed, unfortunately).

I'm just trying to raise the standard of the debate [emoji6]

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

I'm perfectly calm (incredibly ill and having to have a day in bed, unfortunately).

I'm just trying to raise the standard of the debate emoji6.png

It's no different to calling Adams a farmer. You aren't raising the standard of debate at all - you tried a cheap shot and it backfired on you.

Hope you get well soon as you've had a bit of a mare there.

8 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I'd have hoped most could limp through the summer, with the community rallying round as well as the furlough scheme.

But you're right, they surely couldn't survive if there was no season next season (until a vaccine).

My point is that surely we, as a society, won't let that happen? At some point you have to get back to something closer to normal. It won't be for a number of months, granted, but after that we can't go into hibernation entirely. It would be an overreaction.

Where we are right now to normal is quite a way off. As a society yes we need to get the economy going and pretty quickly too. Unfortunately leisure where we sit is probably near the bottom for consideration and the economy doesn’t rely on it. The EPL has so much cash they can pay for testing, safe stadiums and probably get some pay per view going that will make a fortune. Things like that will keep the masses entertained. We don’t have that option and will probably have to rely on our fans who may have their own hardships  The financial fallout from this may mean football isn’t a big thing when surviving becomes the priority 

Mark Roberts was an awful manager you can’t dispute that however I still hold him in high regard giving what he achieved as a player with us and would welcome him back to Somerset Park.

On a side note I always cringed at people calling him a DKB while he was manager having worshiped him as a player. 

21 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Nah! Survival of the fittest in football. Time to trim the herd.

Where we are right now to normal is quite a way off. As a society yes we need to get the economy going and pretty quickly too. Unfortunately leisure where we sit is probably near the bottom for consideration and the economy doesn’t rely on it. The EPL has so much cash they can pay for testing, safe stadiums and probably get some pay per view going that will make a fortune. Things like that will keep the masses entertained. We don’t have that option and will probably have to rely on our fans who may have their own hardships  The financial fallout from this may mean football isn’t a big thing when surviving becomes the priority 
But is that a fair price for Scottish society to pay?

This virus is a brutal spreader but the death rate is not high. Like i said in my first post, i know I'm coming across as callous here. But surely there's a debate to be had, when faced with severe long term sacrifices for our society.

Scottish football is obviously not alone in this dilemma but are we really prepared to let dozens of clubs fold for this?

If a couple of clubs don't make it until September - October then I'd probably say they were too close to the bone anyway. But long term?

Or is long term hibernation (scrap a full season and resume aug 2021) a legitimate option that could be achieved? I genuinely don't know enough about the economics of Scottish football to know if that is possible.

20 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

This virus is a brutal spreader but the death rate is not high. Like i said in my first post, i know I'm coming across as callous here. But surely there's a debate to be had, when faced with severe long term sacrifices for our society.

Scottish football is obviously not alone in this dilemma but are we really prepared to let dozens of clubs fold for this?

If a couple of clubs don't make it until September - October then I'd probably say they were too close to the bone anyway. But long term?

Or is long term hibernation (scrap a full season and resume aug 2021) a legitimate option that could be achieved? I genuinely don't know enough about the economics of Scottish football to know if that is possible.

I am on your side about things being too restrictive at the moment and having to open up again. Suppose it depends where you feel football ranks amongst Scottish society and also lower league teams. Would starting up the top league again be enough to pacify enough people? 

Even if clubs do fold almost all who have a history plus a small fan base reappear again fairly quickly. We also have a few ambitious others aiming for league status 

Some clubs also have community facilities that help keep them going. Trimming the staff back and some financial help may keep them going until things are fully back to normal 

59 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I think if they scrapped the upcoming league season, it would be scaremongering at its finest. It’s not even “too bad” in Scotland. Yes people have lost their lives and that’s tragic, but very few of those have been people who weren’t elderly or ill already. I feel too many people are accepting this nanny state that’s happening now, rather than thinking of the wider picture, eg the economy and business (football) potentially going bust 

1 hour ago, RedEd said:

Well, there's probably one too many full-time teams in Glasgow...

I've long been of the opinion that some of the Glasgow teams should merge.

Celtic and Rangers to merge and become Glasgow United FC. They can play in green and blue hoops. They can also f**k off and join another countrys league.

Partick Thistle and Clyde to merge and become Clyde Thistle FC.

Queens Park can remain as they are.

I think if they scrapped the upcoming league season, it would be scaremongering at its finest. It’s not even “too bad” in Scotland. Yes people have lost their lives and that’s tragic, but very few of those have been people who weren’t elderly or ill already. I feel too many people are accepting this nanny state that’s happening now, rather than thinking of the wider picture, eg the economy and business (football) potentially going bust 

Would you happily contract the virus for the opportunity to watch a game of football?

Maybe I’m old fashioned, but with a wife and a child, I’m not taking any chances of contracting a virus that ‘could’ put someone in a box.

No thanks.

If the turnstyles open and the club can guarantee me that nobody in the crowd has the virus - I’m there.

Realistically, after what has happened so far, and the lockdown measures, how could you take the state seriously if they said,”f**k it, you can all go to the football now” with no blanket testing / vaccine.

I think that clubs in Scotland would be best going into hibernation.

That should safeguard the existence of the clubs themselves but shit for employees including players.

Alternatively, all clubs should be looking at playing behind closed doors, with a Pay Per View / Season ticket option for fans.

That way the games are played, the clubs keep going, the fans get to see the football and they pay their money.

Please note, I may completely change my mind on all or some of the above by dinner time [emoji23]

1 minute ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Would you happily contract the virus for the opportunity to watch a game of football?

Maybe I’m old fashioned, but with a wife and a child, I’m not taking any chances of contracting a virus that ‘could’ put someone in a box.

No thanks.

If the turnstyles open and the club can guarantee me that nobody in the crowd has the virus - I’m there.

Realistically, after what has happened so far, and the lockdown measures, how could you take the state seriously if they said,”f**k it, you can all go to the football now” with no blanket testing / vaccine.

I think that clubs in Scotland would be best going into hibernation.

That should safeguard the existence of the clubs themselves but shit for employees including players.

Alternatively, all clubs should be looking at playing behind closed doors, with a Pay Per View / Season ticket option for fans.

That way the games are played, the clubs keep going, the fans get to see the football and they pay their money.

Please note, I may completely change my mind on all or some of the above by dinner time emoji23.png

I think at Somerset we’d be able to social distance and be the 2metres apart fairly easily! Obviously stand patrons would be a bit more problematic in terms of distancing, but I’d have no qualms about leaving my seat in the stand and going to the Railway end to watch games. 

I think at Somerset we’d be able to social distance and be the 2metres apart fairly easily! Obviously stand patrons would be a bit more problematic in terms of distancing, but I’d have no qualms about leaving my seat in the stand and going to the Railway end to watch games. 

And how do you propose players socially distance on the park?

If, after this lockdown, social distancing measures remain in place then there will be no football. It’s simply not realistic to expect the football to be back anytime soon.