The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I wasn’t meaning Ayr. This was about EPL clubs that can afford to test players, have a big squad for when some get ill and the money at stake makes the risk worthwhile 

Ahh apologies. I agree that behind closed doors is a possibility down South.

3 hours ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Would any club let people into their ground when there is a chance of someone dying due to people converging for a football game?

Would there not be a huge risk of the club being sued for negligence?

Knowingly bringing people together while there is a killer global pandemic would surely be an ‘ambulance chasers’ dream!

I tell you what - if we are let back into Somerset Park before 2021, I’ll pay everyone in emoji106.pngemoji16.png

The club wouldn’t be forcing supporters into the ground with a cattle prod. If people want to take the risk of catching it or passing it onto a vulnerable family member then that would be their choice. 

45 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

This response seems over the top to me.

Yes we need to continue the current lockdown, possibly extended it again.

But you're suggesting that we keep things with crowds of people shut for a year. That would be catastrophic for football clubs but also plenty of other businesses. The govt can't bail everyone out for that length of time. It's not feasible. So do we just pay that price? It's an overreaction.

And no club would go against government advice. You can't pinpoint when you got a virus anyway, so there would be no law suits.

The current lockdown is to save the nhs from being overwhelmed. Its not to save every life.

Seems we’re the only ones who can see the bigger picture in all of this. 

6 hours ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Would any club let people into their ground when there is a chance of someone dying due to people converging for a football game?

Would there not be a huge risk of the club being sued for negligence?

Knowingly bringing people together while there is a killer global pandemic would surely be an ‘ambulance chasers’ dream!

I tell you what - if we are let back into Somerset Park before 2021, I’ll pay everyone in emoji106.pngemoji16.png

How would you ever prove that someone picked up the infection in the ground?  

The point I'm trying to make is this.

Why would government introduce lockdown and social distancing, night after night, address the nation to explain why they are doing it, and the importance of doing it - to then just stop it and risk another surge in infections / hospitilisations / deaths?

Surely crowds at a football match will be near last on the list of acceptable 'gambles'?

I honestly cannot see how a government can do so much to try to save lives, to then just let things run wild and take risks.

I just hope and pray that the timelines are wrong for inoculation and it comes quicker than 18 months.

I also hope that if you get it, that you 'are' then 'immune'.

Please dont let it mutate.

And please let it be wrong that animals are testing positive for it, and that there is no trans-species contractions.

I think football is fucked unless it can find a way without physical crowds, for the next season.

Can anyone realistically see a way that we will be back at Somerset in August 2020?

Why would government introduce lockdown and social distancing, night after night, address the nation to explain why they are doing it, and the importance of doing it - to then just stop it and risk another surge in infections / hospitilisations / deaths?

Surely crowds at a football match will be near last on the list of acceptable 'gambles'?

I honestly cannot see how a government can do so much to try to save lives, to then just let things run wild and take risks.

I just hope and pray that the timelines are wrong for inoculation and it comes quicker than 18 months.

And please let it be wrong that animals are testing positive for it, and that there is no trans-species contractions.

I think football is fucked unless it can find a way without physical crowds, for the next season.

Can anyone realistically see a way that we will be back at Somerset in August 2020?

Can’t see us back by August , but should be  by around October hopefully
 on another note we only need to sell another 10 virtual POTY tickets to hit £10,000 towards club funds , great effort so far ,

Edited by Robbo63

A month ago they didn’t exactly know what was going to happen. The lockdown was to stop the NHS being swamped plus buying time to build it up to deal with the future challenge. They now know more about this, have more ventilators, got data to analyse and hopefully some existing drugs can be used to halt death rates.  Nothing will change in the next few weeks but the future might not be as bleak as it looks right now  

Not sure if your own clubs doing it, but Saints are currently putting up classic games, or extended highlights, on Saints TV.

You feature for a game in 1990, should be free to view just now I think.

https://tv.perthstjohnstonefc.co.uk/tv/video/vod/425

I keep seeing people saying we should just wait for a vaccine, but what if one can't be found? We all stay at home forever? Eventually we all run out of money, government included, then what? The effects of a depression would be far more damaging than this.

The Jenner institute vaccine is the most likely at the moment and they haven't started clinical trials yet. To mass-produce a vaccine, it can take 3-4 months to get all raw materials in place, these are not things that are likely to be on a shelf somewhere. Most likely they will need to be grown or cultivated first. 

Best case, a vaccine will be issued to front line health staff this year, rolled out to high risk quarter one next year would be my guess. 

But do you think that's a price we have to pay?

It's not just about the economy in general (although how long can we pay wages and keep the health service funded in lockdown?) - but if half our football clubs disappear due to this then we've let our completely change our society.

At some point we have to find a way to manage this without everything turning to shit. Short term - the lockdown is needed - but are we really willing to decimate Scottish football for this virus?

It's a horrible question with no easy solutions. But i fear there are too many people willing to accept a semi permanent lockdown until the whole thing can be completely controlled, and are willing to accept any consequences for that.

6 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

But do you think that's a price we have to pay?

It's not just about the economy in general (although how long can we pay wages and keep the health service funded in lockdown?) - but if half our football clubs disappear due to this then we've let our completely change our society.

At some point we have to find a way to manage this without everything turning to shit. Short term - the lockdown is needed - but are we really willing to decimate Scottish football for this virus?

It's a horrible question with no easy solutions. But i fear there are too many people willing to accept a semi permanent lockdown until the whole thing can be completely controlled, and are willing to accept any consequences for that.

Japan came out of a lockdown and are now back in one, The Czech republic have been in a lockdown longer, citizens are required to wear a mask out doors at all times, they have a population larger than Scotland, with many residents living in communal buildings in the major cities like Scotland as well as rural communities but have a fraction of the cases, under 200 deaths (Scotland 893). They are still in lock-down  and are hoping to move to the track and isolate phase in the coming weeks with the help of a phone app. 

They had 57 new cases yesterday, Scotland had 411. So I would say that this is how far we are away from ending a lock-down.  

It’s not easy and everything right now is a balancing act really.

I’m a furloughed worker right now, and if I’m not back at work in about 6 weeks, I don’t see how my employer can survive, and they are a large corporate uk wide business.

Equally, my job involves customer contact, in their homes, up to 8 different ones each day. How is social distancing going to be implemented there? Who knows!

The biggest problem I see with all that is going on is time.

There is a limit on how long business and institutions can go on, doing nothing, earning nothing, without collapsing.

There is the ticking clock to try and come up with a best guess solution regarding ‘treatment’ that can hopefully keep those out of ICU that contract the virus.

Then you have the whole vaccine issue.

Running along these you have the lack of mass scale testing, either for having the virus or for having had it.

The closer we reach all of these is when we will see things scaling towards normality - but to me the major issue will be what will normality look like?

Will it involve crowds - I don’t think so.

The chat already is that pubs, clubs and restaurants will be the very last things to be relaxed - where people gather in a confined space.

I’m hopeful that we will see some kind of football by the start of next year, but not holding my breath.

Could Scottish football live stream games on a pay per view basis for a season? Would this be a middle ground and the best of a bad bunch?

Imagining you could sort out testing for players, staff and support staff etc.

Advertising could still be sold in some capacity.

If clever, delivery services could set up a ‘match day pack’ which could see clubs sell merch, even food, for your club.

Could sell half time draw tickets.

The technology is there - could this be the new normality at least for a while?

1 minute ago, eez-eh said:

Docherty? 😆 Loads of people with a blind spot for Doohan as well after last season. Forrest and Kelly would have been far better shouts.

Got to be Harvie.

Would agree, I voted for Forrest but Harvie was a close second.

3 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Docherty? 😆 Loads of people with a blind spot for Doohan as well after last season. Forrest and Kelly would have been far better shouts.

Got to be Harvie.

Thistle fans clearly boycotting the vote imo. A massive club after all