The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

5 hours ago, Trogdor said:

For anyone who likes to indulge in a bit of schadenfreude, have a look at how McCall is doing at the family club. 🤣 

McCall getting emptied by his beloved Thistle and ending up back in the gutter we picked him from is exactly how this tale should end. 

McCall getting emptied by his beloved Thistle and ending up back in the gutter we picked him from is exactly how this tale should end. 

His first Sportsound appearance after receiving his P45 will be glorious provided he’s actually asked about leaving Ayr.

22 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

They can't afford to sack him, no?

Always thought that if he was binned this season then I could see him rocking up at QOS. Although maybe the gutter is the best option for him there.

The hatred for mccall makes me genuinely sad.

I know it hurt like f**k the way he left but the man turned our club around in a pretty massive way. For that, and for the season and a half of scintillating football with shankland going berserk - I will always be grateful.

If he got binned by Partick I wondered if we would see him back in a DoF style role at Ayr. Might help Kerr out with an experienced ear and he always wanted to move upstairs at some point.

Theres a fair amount of McCall revisionism in some quarters. There was clearly something suspicious about the way in which he left, and cynically I thought he strung Ayr along until the Thistle job came along but that can't undo the good work he did at the club. Transformed from near league one relegation into a full time championship play-off side and created some amazing memories in the process.

I always thought Ayr and McCall were a good fit for each other. I believed given the right backing and a little luck he may have taken us up to the Premiership.
However, I get the pull of Thistle and their potential higher resources but I really think this is going to end badly for him. COVID certainly didn’t help his cause by ending the season but I think he may struggle to get them promoted this season.

I just don’t think his face will fit at Somerset now. He’s burnt his bridges with a lot of the support (myself included) for the way he left and I think the club have now taken a different direction off the field with Dave Smith taking a more hands on role, I just don’t see a role for him. Coming in would undermine Kerr IMO and he deserves his shot. 

I think McCall left knowing he wouldn’t be back, and he’s went there thinking he’d have kept them up and pushed on this season for the play offs, not knowing what a monumental shit show Thistle are in. Biggest example is the page on Twitter I follow. The guy goes through the accounts of football clubs and has compiled a list of Scottish clubs wage bills and Thistle have the 11th (eleventh) largest budget in Scotland this season, ahead of 4 Premiership club (St Mirren, Hamilton, Livi and St Johnstone) and only Hearts and Dundee in the championship are bigger.

Edited in the graph for anyone interested. 

26436B52-424E-441B-A564-527AB3D975B3.thumb.png.5b4e9cf8f0affb14ea0378f52a1a5f5d.png

Edited by callum-ayr

Schadenfreude is different to hatred. 

There is a fair amount of revisionism wrt. McCall. There can be no doubt he left us better than he arrived and I'm grateful for that.  There's not many managers who have! It is worth noting that he was backed financially more than any manager since Dalziel.

In hindsight it could still prove to be a good thing. I think McCall felt that he'd taken us as far as he could so to kick on a change would have become necessary at some point anyway.

All water under the bridge but it doesn't mean I'm not going to enjoy him falling on his arse. 🤣

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

I just don’t think his face will fit at Somerset now. He’s burnt his bridges with a lot of the support (myself included) for the way he left and I think the club have now taken a different direction off the field with Dave Smith taking a more hands on role, I just don’t see a role for him. Coming in would undermine Kerr IMO and he deserves his shot. 

I think McCall left knowing he wouldn’t be back, and he’s went there thinking he’d have kept them up and pushed on this season for the play offs, not knowing what a monumental shit show Thistle are in. Biggest example is the page on Twitter I follow. The guy goes through the accounts of football clubs and has compiled a list of Scottish clubs wage bills and Thistle have the 11th (eleventh) largest budget in Scotland this season, ahead of 4 Premiership club (St Mirren, Hamilton, Livi and St Johnstone) and only Hearts and Dundee in the championship are bigger.

Edited in the graph for anyone interested. 

26436B52-424E-441B-A564-527AB3D975B3.thumb.png.5b4e9cf8f0affb14ea0378f52a1a5f5d.png

Ross County having a higher wage bill than Kilmarnock is wild.

18 hours ago, Trogdor said:

For anyone who likes to indulge in a bit of schadenfreude, have a look at how McCall is doing at the family club. 🤣 

You almost fe....nah I can't. 

Tbf to McCall his Partick team atm in league 1 is way worse than the squad he had with us in league 1 and i would say that league is much tougher now than it was when we were in it. 

I mean to put it into context our league 1 title winning squad had players in it who are now playing in the Scottish premiership (3) and English Championship (1) and the following Championship squad for THAT season where it looked for a bit like we were going to the prem, had players who are now playing in the Scottish Premiership (5), English Championship (1), English League One (1), English League Two (2) when you include our loanees. 

Those numbers of how many players have gone on to a much better level should be of the highest gratitude to Ian McCall for bringing those type of players to our club IMO and i'll be grateful for that always regardless of what happened afterwards.

Fear for him at Thistle cause ever since Colin Weir died it looks as if Thistle have stagnated a bit and McCall does seem to be struggling a bit, if they don't get promoted this season, which is looking a challenge already, i think he'll be away next summer. Yes i would welcome him back in some form of DOF role if our club continued to improve off the park and got to the stage when the framework was in place for it to be appropriate to run with a DOF. However you just have to look at likes of Dundee with Strachan and it shows that kind of set up in the Championship doesn't always work. 

In other news is there any update on when the 'Somerset Hub' building work is going to start, went by the old place the other day for the first time in a while and looks like no work has begun yet. I know it has been approved but until the first digger is on site i'm skeptical that it's going to happen after previous experiences with Ayr lol

3 hours ago, rb123! said:

In other news is there any update on when the 'Somerset Hub' building work is going to start, went by the old place the other day for the first time in a while and looks like no work has begun yet. I know it has been approved but until the first digger is on site i'm skeptical that it's going to happen after previous experiences with Ayr lol

Pretty sure they are still awaiting Scottish Water. Did David Smith not say that in his interview at half time a few weeks back?

5 hours ago, rb123! said:

Certainly going to happen , lots of work being done behind the walls , just waiting on water board signing off the drainage plans , when it’s signed off the work will begin , confident of being open for pre season 

Edited by Robbo63