The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

18 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Duku is a interesting one. He started the season on fire before fading away. 

18 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

I asked about him on the Raith thread purely because I liked the look of him and had hoped we might’ve been interested. Apparently he got COVID around Christmas time and never really looked the same.

Gozie Ugwu is still a free agent and one I’d take. Miles Storey has also left ICT and is probably the type of forward Hopkin would sign.

Ugwu anyday, everyday, before Duku. Duku will likely cause issues in the ICT Clubhouse before February, Ugwu never got a decent run for us, but has the tools to be a useful striker. He’s not going to lead the team or league in scoring, but he’d certainly chip in nicely.

25 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

What you actually have is a group of fans that have seen the decline of the club over the last 12-18 months, Keeping Kerr probably 6 weeks longer than we should.

Seeing shysters like Zanatta and Walsh phone in performances and players like Smith and Hare-Reid be allowed to leave at critical points of the season with no plan to replace them.

Hiring a manager that failed at a club in the league, being open minded about him as long as he doesn’t replicate his failings at that club only for him to, at first play the same awful way, leading to us going out the Cup to a team struggling in the league below who played 6 games in a week, lose 4 scud in a “must win game” Unquestionably make the team worse, in terms of results and performance and as an added bonus, horrible to watch.

Again, fans were open minded, it wasn’t his team, he needed to rebuild, as long as he doesn’t sign players that failed him before. The first 3 signings were from his failed experiment at Morton. 

the Club launch a horrible, clunky website and ask fans to pay for it. It doesn’t work, they offer a voucher if you renew your season, then you can’t renew it through the website. Half the users have to create a new password every time they use it. But that doesn’t matter because they have stopped providing content or news anyway.

then you have the owner of the club, contacting a fan because of comments they made on here. 

but aye, just a couple of disgruntled fans with an agenda. Nothing to see here. 

Couldn't have put it better myself and glad you agree.

13 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Also, George Smith, Sandy louden, Donnie McIntyre, Bill Barr, Donald Cameron, Lachlan Cameron.

All chairmen who have came and gone in my time following Ayr and I am still here.

my money doesn’t matter……go f**k yourself 

Oh Nasty, Nasty !!

You were the one who were making out you had the issue, not me and Yes, I've seen them all come and go as well.

25 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Away from the pitch we do seem to have changed course and are headed in a good direction. When it comes to the playing squad your description of basket case isn't too far off the mark. This isn't solely on Hopkin though and Kerr must take his fair share of blame.. Look at the course of travel from McCall leaving and the erosion of quality in our squad. Perhaps we were always going to head backward but the drop in standard is very noticeable. In another job Hopkin might have got more time but he took a gig where the fans needed to see improvement. Right now that certainly isn't the case and with his previous managerial history quite close to home then he needs to step up soon   

That's a pretty fair and balanced assessment of things I'd say.

2 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

There are still a number of highly desirable players floating around if, as suggested, you're willing to push beyond a grand a week... I'm not going to name them, because that seems to be the key lesson of this section of the thread (waves to @Finlay21.

I'm hoping (!) that Morton's avowed 'quality over quantity' approach (yeah, I know) means that we're setting aside two or three wages that are above the general level we're paying (and way above what we're paying some of the younger players). That takes you into an entirely different section of the market, whether it's for a loan or a permanent signing.

As I said, two of those (plus maybe two good players from the Burnley link-up) and you're looking like a totally different proposition.

McCall changed the way the club operates, he said it was daft signing a full back on a 1 year deal because you need one next year, sign a good one that will last you a couple of years on a 2 year deal.

We signed Boyle and Docherty, Geggan and Moffat. 2 midfielders, a left back and a forward that we didn’t need to sign the following year, he then added To that on an 18 month deal Murdoch. We had a core squad going in to the following year.

that way you are freeing the ones who don’t work out and only needing to sign 2-3 real quality players and trying to re-sign those out of contract.

the Kerr era fucked that for us. We have Baird and Chalmers, Houston and Reading that maybe could have moved on/wanted moved on in the summer and have almost a complete rebuild. No player developed over the last year and even though McCowan moved to the premier, he didn’t have his best season with us. He could have gone further than Dundee under different management. 

8 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

I can clarify I am not employed by the club and I chose to help club by helping fix issues they have not asked me to do it , I chose to help them due to my  working knowledge prior to retirement 

Which is appreciated by most. The fact that you are now in the firing line for hate on every subject, because no one from the club is willing to step forward, is annoying. 

22 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Ugwu anyday, everyday, before Duku. Duku will likely cause issues in the ICT Clubhouse before February, Ugwu never got a decent run for us, but has the tools to be a useful striker. He’s not going to lead the team or league in scoring, but he’d certainly chip in nicely.

From the brief time Ugwu had on the park against us he looked like he could be a real handful for defenders, probably along the lines of what I expected Andre Wright to turn out to be before reality set in. 

16 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

McCall changed the way the club operates, he said it was daft signing a full back on a 1 year deal because you need one next year, sign a good one that will last you a couple of years on a 2 year deal.

We signed Boyle and Docherty, Geggan and Moffat. 2 midfielders, a left back and a forward that we didn’t need to sign the following year, he then added To that on an 18 month deal Murdoch. We had a core squad going in to the following year.

that way you are freeing the ones who don’t work out and only needing to sign 2-3 real quality players and trying to re-sign those out of contract.

the Kerr era fucked that for us. We have Baird and Chalmers, Houston and Reading that maybe could have moved on/wanted moved on in the summer and have almost a complete rebuild. No player developed over the last year and even though McCowan moved to the premier, he didn’t have his best season with us. He could have gone further than Dundee under different management. 

Sure, you're starting from a different position -- and Kerr and the club may be to blame for that; my point is that the route out, while difficult, isn't impossible.

The big question is whether your current manager is the right person to do it, based on his own recent transfer dealings.

1 minute ago, Hawk89 said:

From the brief time Ugwu had on the park against us he looked like he could be a real handful for defenders, probably along the lines of what I expected Andre Wright to turn out to be before reality set in. 

Yea, he looks to have the tools, and seems a solid team player, just not sure what it is that will spur his further development since he’s already 28. If you signed him, you’d have a hard working forward that presents a threat, when he’s healthy.

26 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Away from the pitch we do seem to have changed course and are headed in a good direction. When it comes to the playing squad your description of basket case isn't too far off the mark. This isn't solely on Hopkin though and Kerr must take his fair share of blame.. Look at the course of travel from McCall leaving and the erosion of quality in our squad. Perhaps we were always going to head backward but the drop in standard is very noticeable. In another job Hopkin might have got more time but he took a gig where the fans needed to see improvement. Right now that certainly isn't the case and with his previous managerial history quite close to home then he needs to step up soon   

I'd say the off field stuff is the most important for the club thus far . Players and managers come and go . If Hoppy can't get us to where our Chairman wants it to go then he'll be removed and the process will be begin to find the next manager of our club . That's football . Hopefully it doesn't come to that though . So its better to look at the bigger picture ,support the club as best you can because the bigger picture suggests that the club is on an upward trajectory ,speed bumps may lie ahead but that's all they are really . We're moving up .

2 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Sure, you're starting from a different position -- and Kerr and the club may be to blame for that; my point is that the route out, while difficult, isn't impossible.

The big question is whether your current manager is the right person to do it, based on his own recent transfer dealings.

Most of the frustration is that it didn’t have to be as difficult as it is now.

he knew in February that we needed a keeper for the 16th June, he knew in March that he needed to replace Smith and Zanatta. 
He knew in April that he needed 6 new players. He knew in April he would be in the championship.

He knew in May that McCowan, Walsh and Todd were leaving.

We are now going to have players who have missed the first two weeks of pre-season, who will be two weeks behind for the next 6 weeks IF we sign them next week. 
He would have known who is out of contract when he took the job, spoke to McAdam, Fox, Any goalkeeper approaching the end of his contract and had something in place. He didn’t and like other positions, we are going to have an unknown quantity with half a preseason. 

this could all turn out all right in the end but we are not seeing anything to put our mind at ease. We (collective, Ayr and Morton) were shite last year with these players and this manager. 

4 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Most of the frustration is that it didn’t have to be as difficult as it is now.

he knew in February that we needed a keeper for the 16th June, he knew in March that he needed to replace Smith and Zanatta. 
He knew in April that he needed 6 new players. He knew in April he would be in the championship.

He knew in May that McCowan, Walsh and Todd were leaving.

We are now going to have players who have missed the first two weeks of pre-season, who will be two weeks behind for the next 6 weeks IF we sign them next week. 
He would have known who is out of contract when he took the job, spoke to McAdam, Fox, Any goalkeeper approaching the end of his contract and had something in place. He didn’t and like other positions, we are going to have an unknown quantity with half a preseason. 

this could all turn out all right in the end but we are not seeing anything to put our mind at ease. We (collective, Ayr and Morton) were shite last year with these players and this manager. 

Yup, there's nothing in his cv to suggest that squad-building/development is where his particular talents lie...

Has a couple of months to disprove that or this might be his last job at any credible level.

10 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

On the brightside, we atleast have pizza. 

This is code for the imminent arrival of Connor Sammon, IMO.